Anyone else working a very physical job while pg?

Pansy

Reaction score
I work in a glass factory...It gets very very hot in there...The last few days the temps here in Toledo,Ohio have been in the 90's...It has been very uncomfortable at work...I feel fine other than I get so hot I feel like I am going to vomit everywhere!!! Sorry for the thought!...On top of the heat I have a very physical position...I assemble cardboard cartons...I work 2-3 machines a day and I am on my feet all day walking and bending and lifting cardboard...My dr isnt so worried about the physical aspects as he is about the heat...He says babies dont like heat...He says if he could he would have me go on maternity leave asap...But the problem is that I want to work all the way until the end...If possible...But I know when enough is enough...If I feel,towards the end,that I cannot handle it no longer,I will be the 1st to say "OK I am ready for maternity leave now"...Just starting to worry if it is going to be safe or not working until the end...With summer just beginning and all...Can having my body temp high for 8 hours cause harm to my baby? Anyone else in this position or been through it?

hi im louise. Ive got quite a physical job too. Im 21 wks preg and work as a dog groomer. My job involves alot of lifting, bending and working in hot conditions although have been luckey so far good old british summer hasn't arrived yet and am starting to wonder if it ever will. i have been suffering with back ache but feel worse once i hav got home and sat down when i then get up my legs dont seem to want to work! My partner would like me to give up work now but i feel i will know when time is right. starting to feel the bump getting in the way when bending over the bath to wash the dogs!

Hi All!

I have a job as a room attendant in a hoteL... LOTS OF CLEANING ,CARRYING VACUME CLEANERS ABOUT,CHANGING BEDS, CLEANING OUT THE BATHROOMS. THIS IS QUITE PHYSICAL AND IS STARTING TO GET ME A LITTLE DOWN XX

hi, I was pregnant a few months ago and working as a nurse I definitely can understand what all of u are going through. I have a lot of lifting and moving to do plus being on my feet for 12 hours at a time. Even though I never got to experience getting too far through my pregnancy I did notice that my back ached more and I just got tired a lot more easily. Just remember to listen to your body bc it knows what it needs and it knows when something is too much. Good luck and all the best with the remainder of your pregnancies.

Take care,
Jenny

i work in a busy resturant im on my feet 5 days a week for atleast 10 hours aday and its so hard to keep going after 5 hours when i get home i sit down and have a nap for a while but when i go to stand again i cant move so im serioulsy considering cutting my days down the way i see it is if u cant walk after u have been at work then its not worth working for that long xx

im also a nurse working up to 12 hours a day, im going to keep going until 3 weeks before baby is due, very tiring and my feet swell up so much, worse thing is the uniform looks like a big tent so i just look fat lol

Hi

Not sure how many of you are in the UK, but just thought I'd make sure you are aware of your rights, if you are.

1. Your employer should risk assess your job to see if it is harmful to your health whilst you are pregnant. They should also be doing regular checks on you during your pregnancy.

2. If the work is found to be harmful to your health then they should offer you alternative work.

3. If there isn't any other work, then they can (and should!) suspend you on full pay (i.e. no detriment to you) while you are pregnant.

Hope this helps.

Helen

Wow...It would be nice to have those rights here in the States...Our employers do not have to find us "light duty" work unless we are hurt on the job...And I don't think getting pregnant applies there LOL...And my OB is concerned with me working right now because of my recent complications but feels my insurance will have a fit if he tries to take me off work so soon...And if I did decide to take an early medical leave my pay is cut in half...Which it is hard enough trying to live on our 2 incomes as it is...Having one sliced in half for 5 months would really hurt us...So I just suffer through my work days...And to make my job worse I work a rotating shift so it is impossible to keep on a good eating and sleeping schedule...But what else can you do?
Pansy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back