Anyone else had a swab for strep b?

mum2b410

Reaction score
Just wanted to post this for info as well as get your opinions/experiences ladies!......

So, I chatted to my MW about this a while back and she said I could have one done around 35-36 weeks for reassurance. So I saw MW tuesday and had one taken, got to wait til next week for the results............

......I was reading more about it all online and discovered this web page....

http://gbss.org.uk/content.php?sub_id=10&section_id=3

which made me doubt the accuracy of the nhs testing method so I have also done a priavtely paid test which uses the ECM method and does the 2 swabs.

Has anyone else had a swab/swabs done??? What are your thoughts?

I was quite shocked that the nhs use the method that seems least reliable!.......I know if I do have it then I will be offered the antibiotics in labour, but it also means that I wont be able to use the birthing pool at my hospital, which would be really dissappointing for me :roll:

Fingers crossed for good results next week!

Been looking into this loads lately myself, there was a long thread in pregnancy chat about it as a few of us were wondering whether to get it as you can get a negative result but still have it. http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/pregnancy-chat/211483-private-group-b-strep-test.htmlI've decided to do it prob nearer 37 weeks though and privately as we can't get it done here. Be gutted though if I've got it and can't have my water home birth!

Ah, thanks for pointing out the other thread Sarah........I have had a read and posted over there now. Hope that your results come back clear when u do it, keeping fx for us and being able to have water births! xx

I've had it done. I had high vaginal strep recurrent 10 years ago and obstetrician has said cos of that he's def having me on antibiotics during labour. Aww I didnt know it also ruled out water birth. Gutted. Xx

Hey sunnygirl! I asked at my nhs antenatal and she said at my hospital it is, but there is no link about infection passing via water..................your hospital may be different?
I thought coz the antibiotics were IV that would prob mean I couldn't use the pool, but it may not??
I don't think there's a set rule, I read a bit about it online. I'd check with your MW or hospital, it may still be poss for you, fx!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back