Anybody know about cats? **little update page 2**

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
Mine is doing my head in right now :evil:

Last night I discovered a pool of pee in the bathroom, it went on the loo brush, the bin, my back scrubber and a load of shampoos etc... all in the bin now. I can also smell pee in the frontroom somewhere but Ive sniffed every square inch and cant find it, the smell is doing my head in :wall:

He peed on a couple of Jakes toys a while ago and I was worried it was against Jake but now Im not so sure. I know it sounds cruel but we locked him out the house all day sunday, he was trying to get in all day. When we did let him in he went upstairs and peed in the bathroom. We have closed the bedroom and bathroom doors so he cant go in anywhere and he claws away at the carpet, he has ruined the carpets upstairs by doing this.

He doesnt have a litter tray, he has never used one before, he just used to use the cat flap to go outside but he doesnt use that now. All the other cats come to sniff around our house, he barely attempts to fight them away. I think they bully him :(

I was thinking today, he isnt as outgoing as he used to be, he used to be really playful but he just seems to mope about all the time. Im starting to think he might be lonely, we had another cat, an old female, she was the boss lol. She passed away in July, the week Jake was born.

I dont want to send him for rehoming, he was rescued from the RSPCA and I couldnt take him back there :(

I dont know if it is a physical problem, or behavioural. Im probably going to take him to the vet to get checked over. Im at the end of my teather now. Im sitting here and I can smell wee somewhere but I dont know where from :puke: :wall:

Sorry this is long, but if somebody understands all this better than me, please help!! :pray: I posted something similar a few months ago but it is getting worse now

Sounds like he is spraying rather than have a wee. Our cat Phoebe started doing this when Isaac was born. There was also some local cats hanging around too which didnt help and we think one of them may have been coming in the house and spraying too. We now have a magnetic cat flap so only our cat can go in and out. It was a nightmare, I even had to throw out a whold basket of Isaac's toys :puke: Our cat was really close to me when I was pregnant and then all I seemed to do was shoo her away when we brought Isaac home so she must have been feeling really insecure.

Maybe try the magnetic cat flap or get a litter tray. If a cat is being bullied outside they won't feel safe to pee and pooh.

We have the magnetic catflap but he refuses to use it now. I'll get a cat litter tray (when I but a new mop and bathroom bin and bog brush :wall:)

hi hun, i dont think they spray after being neutered, so he must just be peeing.

the only thing i can think of would be to try litter training him from the start, because he possibly doesn't know to use the tray if he's always went outside.

hope that helps :hug: my kitten is having a simliar problem, he just WON'T go in the tray :wall: it's really frustrating, luckily we have laminate flooring so there's no mess :roll:

natalie&jake said:
By the way, he is fixed. Do fixed boys spray? :think:

Yep and female cats spray too. So when you smell wee somewhere in the house don't just clean the floor, clean whatever is next to it and around it. We had spray up the radiator! Its was all yellow and rank :puke:

I don't know but if someone can tell me how to get my cat to stop peeing on the coconut mat in our hall, I'd be v interested to know! I think he's marking his territory as it's right next to the clear front door.
:wall: :wall: :wall:

Have you tried Urine Off - you can only buy it online and breaks down the urine crystals - not v effective on a coconut mat though. I put tin foil down and that deters him.

could he have a kidney infection? how much wee is he doing?

Babylicious said:

He peed quite a bit in the bathroom so you may be right there.

I just found where he peed in the frontroom- on the rug. Ive been letting Jake play on the rug :( I feel like crying now- poor jake.

Thanks for your replies :hug:

Babylicious said:

This is what i was going to say, A friends cat went to the toilet in their bath when he wasnt very well and turned out he had a kidney infection. My cats pee where they are not meant to if they think the cat tray is to full and also when they are just being naughty and want attention.

Has he always done it since Jake was born or is it a recent thing?

Another thing you could try is a feliway diffuser. They do a spray version too but it releases pheromones or something that de-stress the cat.

grace1983 said:
i have a cat psychology book and read a story of a cat doing similar things. turns out he was being bullied by other cats in the neighbourhood. i cant find the book at the moment so i dont have the solution (i will look around for it) but that could be what it is.

try these tips:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2277_stop-cat-urinating.html

or get the book and have a nosy, it makes intresting reading if you are a cat lover:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Confidentia ... 0593052765

good luck.xx

Thanks! that actually confirms what we have been thinking for a while now

Flame said:
Babylicious said:

This is what i was going to say, A friends cat went to the toilet in their bath when he wasnt very well and turned out he had a kidney infection. My cats pee where they are not meant to if they think the cat tray is to full and also when they are just being naughty and want attention.

Has he always done it since Jake was born or is it a recent thing?

No its only since about December he has been doing it

Kylie1007 said:
Another thing you could try is a feliway diffuser. They do a spray version too but it releases pheramones or something that destress the cat.

We had one for when we moved here a few years ago but chucked it out about a year ago :wall:

We have some feliway spray you have if you want it?

My cat has peed once or twice in odd places. Once in the bathroom and once on a pile of clothes :roll:
Both times we think it was becasue he felt he wasn't getting enough attention so wasn't too happy. It sounds like your cat is sad.
My cat would pee in the same place again if he could smell the pee - so he used to pee in the bathroom from time to time and although I didn't think the clothes smelt after they'd been through the wash apparently he did so they had to go through a few times. You really have to remove the whole smell if you can.

natalie&jake said:
By the way, he is fixed. Do fixed boys spray? :think:

my old cat did. The vet said he had cystitis. (felt like giving him some cranberry juice).

It might be that cat is just getting old and need an inside tray. I would suggest fullers earth, very like dirt from outside.

Poor cat :(

natalie&jake said:
Kylie1007 said:
Another thing you could try is a feliway diffuser. They do a spray version too but it releases pheramones or something that destress the cat.

We had one for when we moved here a few years ago but chucked it out about a year ago :wall:
Ours didn't work because the hallway wasn't a confined enough place

Kylie1007 said:
I don't know but if someone can tell me how to get my cat to stop peeing on the coconut mat in our hall, I'd be v interested to know! I think he's marking his territory as it's right next to the clear front door.
:wall: :wall: :wall:

Have you tried Urine Off - you can only buy it online and breaks down the urine crystals - not v effective on a coconut mat though. I put tin foil down and that deters him.

My mum used to feed the foxes outside her house and they started peeing and poohing on her coir door mat so I reckon its a territorial thing with your cat. My mum still feeds them but puts the food on a grass verge up the street now and the peeing has stopped. I think Betterware or Kleeneze sell stuff to stop cats peeing. I use their spider stop spray. I rang them to make sure it was safe to use with Isaac and they said yes but I'm not sure about the cat stuff, you'd need to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back