Anybody else got a tongue tied baby?

Minime

Reaction score
Molly's got tongue tie and they said it shouldnt affect her speech, it would only affect breast feeding. Its still quite tight, when does it loosen up if at all?

Connie has taken after her dad with this. I hate DH's tongue, it looks horrible :puke: . He struggles a little with pronunciation of a few words but it's not as if he a public speaker or anything so doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to his life. The doctor said to him they would cut it if they wanted them to but he hasn't bothered. I'm going to mention it to the doc at the 6 week checkup but she is feeding fine so not worried.

The procedure involved with tongue tie is a very contravertial one. My youngest has tongue tie and although she was falling of the breast when feeding the docs said it still wasn't a problem. When they are babies, the procedure is to lift the tonge up and just snip the tongue tie (there are no nerves in there so it shouldn't hurt). Quite a few babies have slept through this. As they get older, should it prove a problem with speech, they would need to either have speech therapy or if it needs to be cut they would need a GA to have it done.

I do exercises with my l/o - i.e. poking my tongue out at her for her to copy, blowing raspberries at her - anything to get her to try and stretch the skin. I'm still not happy so i'm going private to have a consultation.

If you want to have a chat feel free to pm me

My son was tongue tied and we had it released when he was 12 days old. It affected breast feeding which was one of the reasons we decided to have it done. (We also figured it would be best to do it when he was young instead of having to do it later under GA) A few days after it was released he was able to latch on. It seemed most other people at the clinic were able to feed immediately after the procedure. I'm not sure about when it loosens, apparently my husband had one when he was born, but he is fine now.

I am... and to be honest I wish my Mum & Dad had got it fixed for me when I was little as I cant pronounce certain words because of it.

Everyone says you can't notice but that is probably because I say words differently to hide it... like girl... I prounounce it gurl rather than gir-il..... if that makes sence.

I had a mate that had her tongue tie and she had they skin cut under her tongue when she was about 19/20 it never effected her speach just looked funny if she tried to stick her tongue out.

She has webbed feet to although i dont think that is related.lol

Ooooh i got the impression it would stretch eventually, didnt think it was a life thing. They've never suggested cutting it or anything, it was a community mw who told me, hossie didnt say a word :? It looks kinda weird as its tied right at the tip. She babbles away and makes the right noises so i guess if it causes a problem later on we'll have to look at it again. Taken onboard what you said sarah and we'll do it sooner rather than later if need be

Oscar has a tongue tie and I think our breastfeeding problems stem from it. He will fall off my nipple very often and the midwife suggested using nipple shields which do appear to help keep him on for a entire feed.

The midwife said that in this area, they don't tend to do anything about it unless there are feeding issues. We are also going to mention it at the postnatal check to see what they suggest. We were thinking of trying to get it done around the 5/6 month mark so that the speech factor isn't affected.

I do keep sticking my tongue out at him and I think he does try to copy me although all he can do is to push out the middle of his tongue at me.

none of mine have.. but three of the girls at breastfeeding support have babys with it.. only one got it snipped. the other 2 have still got problems feeding. and are both thinking aobut gettign it snipped due to feeding plus theres no medical reason for the snip not to go ahead. win win situation if u get it done?

lisa&alex said:
none of mine have.. but three of the girls at breastfeeding support have babys with it.. only one got it snipped. the other 2 have still got problems feeding. and are both thinking aobut gettign it snipped due to feeding plus theres no medical reason for the snip not to go ahead. win win situation if u get it done?

Actually lots of hospitals wont do it as a matter of course. If the babies are gaining weight then there's not too much of a feeding problem. My l/o was having problems feeding but its either stretched or she's gotten used to it as she feeds loads better now.

Also when babies are being weaned they use their tongue to chew food which a lot of the time causes the skin to stretch or snap on its own.

If a baby gets too old then a general anaesthetic has to be used to cut it which is why unless the tongue tie is severe places wont do it.

Evie's got a bad one! Her tongue isn't long enough to feed properly - I am still exclusively breastfeeding so I cannot wait for Thursday to roll round when she's getting it snipped so we can hopefully feed ok & give my poor nips a break! :pray:

xx

Isla had a severe one (its far more common in boys that girls tho) and we got it cut when she was 6 days old. It took one second , she was asleep, she stirred then fell asleep again. It fixed the problem instantly and there was about the same amount of blood as if you pricked your finger and then squeezed it hard, ie one drop. She is fine now and very advanced in her speech. I am so glad i had it done, Morgan was fine at birth so didnt need it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back