tongue tie

EllieG

Reaction score
Hiya, Freya has a tongue tie, it is quite profound and makes her tongue heart shaped. She is exclusivly breast feeding, I do have some bruising on my nipples but she generally feeds well. I have 2 questions, 9if anyone can help!), I have been giing her a dummy, do you think this might confuse hwr and make feeding more difficult? and we have an appointment on monday to see a consultant regarding this but I am worried about having it released, does anyone know what the procedure is, and if they learn how to breast feed again afterwards?
thanks xxx

Chloe has tongue tie too with actually prevented her from latching onto me, but it doesnt sound like she had it as bad it just reaches near enough the end of her tongue but doesnt reshape it. She was fine bottle feeding but dribbled quite alot, I was never offered for her to have it snipped, I think the procedure is fairly simple though. I was worried if it was going to affect her speach later on but it really doesnt seem to be bothering her atall now and isnt so bad as it was.

Ryan was seen by a Speech and Language therapist when he wasn't feeding properly and she said he has quite a short frenulum - Im assuming this is like tongue tie?

It doesnt affect his feeding but Im worried it'll affect his speech later on. Can you explain what you mean by a heart shaped tongue cos Im not really sure how bad his is :?

x-kirsty-x said:
Ryan was seen by a Speech and Language therapist when he wasn't feeding properly and she said he has quite a short frenulum - Im assuming this is like tongue tie?

It doesnt affect his feeding but Im worried it'll affect his speech later on. Can you explain what you mean by a heart shaped tongue cos Im not really sure how bad his is :?
Sure... when she cries or tries to poke her tongue out, it is pulled back by the frenulum and the middle or tip of her tongue ispulled back creating a heart shape. sounds like he does have tongue tie, Freyas is so pronounced she cant get her tongue to her lips.

my brother had this, he had to go in for a small op to get the under side of the longue that was keeping it pinned down cut. he was grumpy for a few days but after that fine. not sure how it affected his feeding though as i was only 9 at the time sorry :oops:

I am tongue tied and talk fine!! but my ex split mine in a night club onces messing about kiss!! it stayed split!! OWWW hehe xxxx

ok now ill either sound rude or stupid - does that meann ur tongue looks a bit like a lizzards? :oops:

i suppose it could but freyas isnt split it is pulled into a heart shape, she ended up having it released on monday, she apparently had the most tied it could get, 100% so i am pleased it is sorted, didnt bother her at all.

I'm an infnat teacher. It's really common to be tongue tied. Before they've started school most children have a small op to release the tongue and this can make speech a little awkward for a while but once they've started school I can never tell who has been tongue tied or not. Their speech is the same as everyone elses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back