tongue tied

mum2A&L

Reaction score
just a quickie post whilst i remember.

the hv came around yesterday. she was looking over lewis and noticed he was slightly tongue tied. she asked if i had any pain when feeding him. i recon 8 times out of 10 he latches on fine, but the odd occasion i have to take him off to put him back on. also on my right side he seems to 'pop' my nipple every so often :think:

she didn't seem worried about it - he is feeding fine, weeing and pooing fine (which she discovered :oops: ). he has dropped to 6lbs, 9oz, but they are not overly worried at the moment as its still within 10%. ive got the mw comming back on tuesday to check his ongoing jaundice & his weight gain.

has anyone else got any experience with a tongue tied baby? will it effect his speech? will they need to do anything to it in the future?

I have a tongue tied baby, the tie is right to the tip of the tongue but is quite thin. I only found out on about day 3 in hospital when a midwife mentioned it. She didn't, however, mention that it might hinder breastfeeding and it was only on about day 13, after latching problems and weight loss, that a different midwife suggested nipple shields. Luckily this enabled Oscar to feed properly, he was unable to keep my boob in his mouth because the tongue does not have proper movement. The nipple shields are so much longer than a nipple that it makes it easier for him to latch. I have experienced pain breastfeeding on and off from the beginning and we have been battling to get the tie released but our local hospital have said that they are unwilling to do anything until after a year and only then if there are speech problems. To be honest, I am really angry as I know that feeding would be so much easier with the tongue tie released. He now feeds every two hours for about an hour at a time as his cannot feed effectively. Because he took about six weeks to regain his birthweight, we have given his one formula feed a day since birth, which we uped to two formula feeds at about three and a half months. I am still mix feeding (and using nipple shields) and hope to get to six months.

From birth, I have done a lot of sticking my tongue out at him, which he copies and I believe the tie has stretched a bit. I think that a tongue tie doesn't automatically mean you will have problems breastfeeding or problems with speech but it certainly increases the odds.

Good luck, I hope Lewis continues to feed well. I know different areas have vastly different policies with regard to tongue tied babies so it might be worth checking with your gp or midwife to see what support/action they offer in case you need it.

I to have experiance with tongue tie, and on speaking with midwife the other day expresed my concerns on this baby havin it, she informed me, if its noticed at birth they do something there and then! For me though it was a 18month battle to get it sorted and eventually the hospital gave it the snip!
I was fortunate though and had no problems bf, and he took to food really well! Every child is different though!
Are you still seeing midwives? maybe give them a call, I find they are a lot more on the ball with tounge tie then HVs,
I wouldnt worry, its a common thing and can be easily sorted as Mildy says every practise has a different policy on it, so maybe wrth checking it out
:hug:

Me & Isaac are tongue tied :)

I can't poke my tongue out and have trouble saying certain words, but not that you would really notice. Isaac couldn't latch onto my boobs when he was born (but I had no milk anyway). And Isaac can't say his 'L's' but we are waiting to see how it goes as it may not be related to his tongue tie.

Iz was tongue tied too. I was having really bad trouble with her latching on, to the point where my nips were so sore they just bled the whole time :( We took her into the BFing clinic at the hospital when she was about 6 or 7 days old and they snipped it there and then. It was quite a severe one (she could hardley move her tongue and it went very heart shaped when she was crying because of where the skin was pulling) but it was actually quite thin. It didnt bleed or make her cry or anything when they snipped it :D Still wouldnt BF too well, think it was a bit late by then and i was in so much pain i gave up :(

My nephew is almost 21 and he has a tongue tie that he never had snipped. He cant stick his tongue out very far but its not affected his speech at all.

The nurse that helped with Izzies said it might affect her speech when she's older but they couldnt really say, so we just decided to get it snipped and over and done with while she was teeny :)

thanks for the reply's ladies.

Ive got the MW coming around today to check his jaundice and weight so i will mention it to her and see what she says. the HV seem to suggest seeing as its so mild not to worry, but new mum worries take a-hold :wink:

mum2A&L said:
thanks for the reply's ladies.

Ive got the MW coming around today to check his jaundice and weight so i will mention it to her and see what she says. the HV seem to suggest seeing as its so mild not to worry, but new mum worries take a-hold :wink:

we were worried too :hug: It was something we'd never really heard of or had to deal with before so we were really concerened, but it was nowt to worry about :D The doctor who did it said that quite a lot of babies can get them and if the mild ones dont get snipped they sometimes just break when the babies teething because of shoving all the toys in their mouths! :lol: Good luck with the HV :hug:

Mw said that it is very mild. She doesn't think it would effect him at all, but if it did they would give it the snip.

So im just going to see how it goes. doesn't seem to be effecting breastfeeding too much if at all. Im wondering if the issues with the one side are just because the other side is his fav :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back