Any helpful advise for me as I'm planning to stop???

Thanks all

The lady he spoke to in the chemist said I was over the nicotine cravings and it was the habit.

I've now got a single cigarette (no lighter) which I can pretend to smoke - seems to be working OK. The chemist lady also suggested some natural licourice roots to chew on instead of mints - just got to try and find some

Well done Tracy, keep with it.

And let me know if you find that licorice root. I used to have it when I was a kid and I adored it!!

Keep going girls.......if you feel yourself flagging, get on here and post a message. I know it sounds all so easy when people say 'you can do it' etc etc - I know how that feeling is of "I have to have one NOW" - I still get it myself - but I promise it does start to get easier.

Take each minute, hour as it comes - try to 'ride the feelings' and think to yourself that each one your not having means that you are going to live longer, no more worrying that each cough could be a sign of lung cancer etc etc.

I really know what you are going through (after all, I am still on the losenges myself after a month and a half of stopping!!?) Was told by the doctor today that I must start cutting down so soon I will be going 100% cold turkey.

I have a really good word document about the addiction part of it - if you want a copy of it let me know (I found it really helped - and still does - My D/H said it helped him too) - let me know if you need it.

Im thinking of you all :)

L x

Yes please Lisa, I would love to take a look at that document. I am finding this surprisingly easy, but unfortunately, my DH isn't. He went to play darts last night and had 3 fags. :( I told him that I was so disappointed in him, he had done the easy part (the first day) and then caved at night. He is finding it a lot harder than me so anything that you can let me have to show him will hopefully help.

I don't really blame him, he's just not as strong willed (or stubborn!!) as me. When I asked him why he had had them, his answer was 'because they kept offering!'. My response was 'keep saying no'. To which he replyed, 'I did, but they kept offering and eventually I gave in'. And these people call themselves friends. Surely they should be supporting us, and not encouraging either of us to smoke. They all know that we are ttc, so why would they push fags onto him!!?! Tonight we have nothing on so can stay at home and support each other. So hopefully, in time for his shift behind the bar Wednesday night he'll feel more comfortable with being around smokers.

Day 3 and counting.

Day 5

My cigarette seems to be working - every time I feel the need, I have a 'puff' on it. I was tempted to light it yesterday with the gas cooker, but today I don't even want to.

OH has never been bothered about me smoking, but yesterday said I have to keep going so that I don't die before him (what a sweety).

You're doing really well Tankett. I've avoided temptation by not going out - I know I'd have given in to the first person that offered - your DH is doing really well to only have 3.

Tracy xx

I found that,

If i didnt have any ciggys in the house, i would really want one, if i had a pack with a couple in it here, i wouldnt want or need one, strange how that works

I know what you mean Layla. I tried to stop a few years ago and I told myself I was never going to have another cigarette, yet this made me want one even more. So this time, when I stopped I told myself that the last one didn't have to be the last one ever, I could always have one if I really wanted to. This seemed to make it easier, and didn't make me crave them so badly. It really is strange how the mind works!!!

Keep it up girls, you are doing a great job :D

Well done Tracy. If that works for you, good on you.

Did anyone get a bad cough after giving up?? I had 'flu a couple of weeks ago, and this was followed last week by a cold. As usual, because of the fags, the cold went straight to my chest and I developed a bad cough. Well, this went over the weekend, but yesterday and today, it is back with a vengeance. I have read somewhere that there are tiny hairs in the back of the throat that the ciggie smoke burns off, and these could be growing back. If this is it, how long does it last for as it's driving me nuts!!!!

I've never really had a 'smokers cough' (probably one of the reasons I've never felt the need to give up) but yesterday and today I've been coughing up all sorts - yuck!!!!

its good if your coughing, all teh crap that is laying in your lungs will come out and you can get it out of your system.

it doesnt last to long, think i had it for about a week, then i was fine

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say well done to those of you who have quit smoking and good luck to those planning to stop. I smoked for about 12/13 years and quit 2 days after I found out I was pregnant. I always said I would but the thought really scared me and I wasn't sure how i'd cope without them and almost felt self concious! Sounds silly now as i'm so glad i've stopped.
It's still hard sometimes but just always think of my unborn child and that's enough to make me rethink.

Anyway i found this website (it's quite gross so if you're sensitive don't look at it) it's about the effects of smoking on your lungs, just imagine what effect it has on your placenta. If you're anything like me I always pushed those thoughts out of my head and my reply would be 'i've got to die of something' when my Dad gave me a lecture. I can't believe how stupid I was, I don't want to die young and leave my child without its mummy.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/photogallery/

Click on this link and look at the gross out gallery - Yuk, glad i've stopped now!!!!!

(Sorry if this sounds like a lecture)

Nicki.x :D

Hi Girls

Just my evening pep talk! "keep going with it - another day down!!!"

I have only just started to get the cough / phelgm etc - obviusly my lungs were thick with the stuff - ugh. I see it as a positive thing though - your body getting rid of all the crap (thank goodness!!!)

Take care and remember - YOU CAN DO IT!

I have just posted this on the ttc forum, but it also relates to this one.....

I've had a really horrid day. Yesterday afternoon I almost sat and cried at my desk before leaving as my cough is really painful. Today is day 4 of being a non-smoker, and because I've also had the flu, and then that followed by a cold, I have loads of crap to cough up off my lungs now I've stopped puffing away (sorry for that). Anyway, I went to the chemist on the way home last night, and the pharmacist refused to give me anything. He told me that a cough for more than 2 weeks could seriously damage the vocal chords and to go straight to the doctors. I went straight there, but they couldn't fit me in till today. I went at 9.20, saw a locum, not my usual doc, and he wouldn't give me anything either. I have a virul infection, not bacterial, so anti-biotics won't work He didn't seem at all interested in the fact that I was at the end of my tether and was even considering having a fag to temporarily stop the coughing (believe it or not, that does work). I kept repeating that I had been a smoker on and off for 22 years, and had finally given up for good, but was finding it hard because of the cough, but he couldn't care less. I feel like bursting into tears every time I cough. Sorry to rant on girls, but all I want to do is cry and go home and curl up in bed for a week. But there is so much going on this week at work and it's the annual stocktake this weekend and I'm working that.

The nicotine addiction has been so easy to beat, but I don't know how long I can cope with this cough. :cry:

Stick at it Tankett!!!!

The cough will get better. I find it helps to spit the gunk out into a cup and have a good look at it so I can see how productive it is - gross I know!!!

I've got a really icky nose as well now but nothing appears when i blow it - it's not blocked just feels really icky. The cough is making my indigestion worse too :cry: and my cigarette has gone soggy

I expected to find it easy once the nicotine was beaten, but it's the other way round.

Tracy, that is the first time I have laughed all day!! :lol: Just the mental picture of you with a soggy cigarette in your gob!!! :lol:

Feeling 100% better today. Check out the new ticker!!! :lol:

9 days and no longer counting!!!!! I did make a lovely ticker saying how many days it had been, but I've removed that now. I don't feel like I was a smoker at all any more because even the thought of it makes me feel bad. :D :D

I hate the smell when people come back from breaks at work. I went out on Saturday night and had to wash my hair in the morning to get rid of the horrid smell!!!!

How is everyone else doing????

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back