Antibiotics advice

kmac

Reaction score
Hi all
I don't know what to do.Several weeks ago I had a UTI and got antibiotics for a week, but it was one which is safe if you are pregnant (told the nurse I was ttc).
It kind of cleared up but not completely, and I went back twice. They said my urine sample was clear, but I was still in pain so eventually saw a doc who gave me a prescription for trimethoprim, but told me not to get it unless I really had to. At that point AF was here, but I felt reasonably OK so didn't get the pills.
Now we are back to ttc but I am in pain again. I am worried about getting the prescription as they said it is not safe during pregnancy. Of course I'm probably not even pregnant, but there is a chance.
What do I do?? Please help!
And is it normal to get so many UTIs while ttc?? I am not enjoying this at all! :(

Thanks.

i had one last month so know exactly what your feeling and its not nice :(
i wouldnt take them tbh...i was on cefalexin for mine but like you i was still alittle uncomfortable after finishing the course.
Iv just been drinking 2 lts of water a day and that seems to take the pain away and so far iv been ok this month....just syptoms gallore lol.
If its no better i would go back on monday and say your not comfortable getting them just in case and see if they will prescribe the same as before as maybe you just need a little longer on those or something? obviously shes a doc and im not but thats what i would do.
Hope its your month chick xxx

I had one a couple of weeks ago and got the ones that were safe during pregnancy. Maybe you could have another dose of the safe ones to completely clear it? I wouldn't take the other ones unless you are going to put ttc on hold for a month. I think i got my uti because i've not been going to the lav after the deed, in case I flush everything away!

xx

Thanks girls.
Yes, Sarah - I think you and I had our UTIs at the same time - I remember comparing notes!

I popped round to the chemist and explained the situation. She said definitely not to take the trimethoprim. She told me where the out of hours doctor is to be found, even though you are supposed to make an appointment by phoning NHS 24. Anyway I went in and saw someone. They have sent a sample off but have given me more amoxicillin in the meantime. Hopefully that will sort it, or at least when they've tested they should know exactly what to give me.

I don't know why I am having so much of this problem. I do go to the loo after the deed as I am paranoid about it flaring up. And I have been trying to drink more water than I did before.
I actually feel a bit better already, and I haven't taken any pills yet. Hope it's not all in my head! But fairly sure it's not. Eye-watering trips to the loo are not something you can imagine are they? :?

If this is what ttc is going to be like all the time I don't think I will last very long. Only just started really, and fed up already! :(

ah yes i remember now lol...oh the joy of note sharing on such topics lol...would rather it be preg notes lol.
Glad you have got more antibiotics...hope it clears it this time!

Interesting thread....

I too had a UTI a couple of weeks ago, my doc knows I'm TTC but he prescribed me trimethoprim :roll:

I read that it's not safe to take them during the first tri and on the net about how it can lead to malformation if taken whilst preggers.

However, they also prevent recurrant UTI's, they're perhaps stronger than the ones you were initially prescribed.

I had a nasty attack as I had blood in my urine so although I was totally crestfallen that my chances were dashed this month, I'd rather get the UTI cleared up properly.

Drinking plenty of water wasn't enough for me to clear it up. It can lead to a full blown kidney infection if you don't get it treated properly.

If you are on your AF now, you've got nothing to lose by taken them.

Your better off getting it all cleared up asap.

Its common to have UTIs whilst TTC. You need to make sure you go to the loo after sex. I'm also going to make sure I drink extra water and cranberry juice around the time we are BD'ing leading up to ov.

Hope you get it sorted x

Interesting indeed.
It was a definite no-no as far as the trimethoprim goes so it seems a bit strange if your doc prescribed it to you.
I would take it if I was on AF but as you know from my other post i am confused about that now.... as I didn't think I was but now I don't know.
Aaaargh!

Hmm, tricky one.

I'm sure he gave it to me because it was a severe UTI. If it helps to get it cleared up good and proper which it has for me, then I'd rather just cut my losses for the month and take it.

Sex can be very painful with a UTI...that might hinder your chances anyway if it's too painful and uncomfortable to BD.

Another downside of taking ab's is often it can lead to a yeast infection afterwards. I've now got thrush, which I've got to get cleared up before we start BD'ing again.

You're right, best to get it sorted. I would take it too if I knew 100% I now had AF.
This also may explain why I have been finding sex painful, if the UTI has been hanging about. I thought it had gone at one point so we went back to ttc.

I would not take the trimethoprim until you are very sure you have another water infection - they should get the results back pretty quickly until then I would stick to the other antibiotics. UTI suck and make you feel bad - look after yourself, keep warm and drink loads - I find lemon barley water really helps me. :hug: :hug:

Thanks. I got amoxicillin instead.
Don't know if you read my other post but am confused after some bleeding today. AF not nearly due.
Don't know if it's UTI and generally feeling under the weather that's messing things up.
But yes, I'm on the lemon barley water! Will drink as much of it as humanly possible!

Did the pharmacist change the type of ab's you were prescribed then?

Get to the docs on Monday, they can tell you instantly whether you have a UTI as you know.

Really not sure about the bleeding, if you have irregular cycles it could be your AF. Do you know if you've ovulated yet? Some woman get mid cycle bleeding around the time they ovulate. Not sure what type of bleed that is as the most I've had is pink tinged CM when I've ovulated.

Perhaps best to get that checked out too.

UTI's do make you feel rotten, so maybe it's that.

Hope the ab's do the trick this time.

I saw an out-of-hours doctor, they gave me a different prescription and will send off a sample.
Feeling better already in that department, just confused now about the bleeding. No idea when I ovulate as holding off getting into a POAS routine! Had thought it would have been round about now.
Will see how it goes and may visit doctor next week...
Thanks

Kmac - I dont want to scare you and I am probably over reacting because what is happening to me but have you taken a pregnancy test?

omg no I haven't.
I have been BDing more than usual the last week or so as was hoping to get the timing right.
But it would be too soon for anything to show wouldn't it? It's not that long since last AF (however many days is on my ticker). so it's too soon for an implantation bleed isn't it?

Did you do a test before AF last month? If your bleeding is heavy and you have pain please make sure you go to see your doctor - I know this is tmi but I am going to ask anyway - what colour is your bleed?

I did a test (2) before AF last month, definitely negative.
Bleed today was bright red, like normal AF for me.
I'm not having any pain at all.
I didn't know what had happened to you - I just looked up your posts.
I'm very sorry.

If you have no pain then thats good its probably your body catching up with itself - but please promise me if you are still feeling poorly with this over the next few days listen to your body and stamp your feet and shout at the doctors :hug: I am sure I am just paranoid at the moment after what has happened to me but not everyone has text book symptoms of issues and bleeding should be checked out even if it turns out to be nothing - sorry if I have worried you I didnt mean to. Take care and I hope it all settles down for you x x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back