Anti-depressants

Princesssaxy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been on sertraline for anxiety and depression for years and stopped just before TTC. I'm now 6 + 4 and jus generally struggling. My doctor gave me a prescription for citalopram which he said is safer during pregnancy but I've not got them yet as I wanted to see how I was. I got pregnant far quicker than I imagined and I feel like I'm going through so many body changes and I don't quite know how to cope.

Don't even know what I'm asking, just wondered if anyone else has experience of stopping medication and then getting pregnant and how on earth does your brain cope!!

Hi princess, sorry I've not got any experience with antidepressants while pg (but I have with depression) but didn't want to read and run.

Pg hormones thrown in the mix are not ideal are they! Especially if you're used to being on medication. Can you perhaps go see your gp for a further chat? Are you considering taking the new ones? x

I have been on sertraline while ttc after a pretty bad bout of depression. It helped massively tho initially i was reluctant to go on it knowing we were ttc (took us over a year and a mc). My GP knew we were ttc and we discussed it before i started - she said sertraline or fluoxetine were the safest. I did some reading and picked sertraline as is also ok to breastfeed. Bit when i went to docs (albeit a different gp) when i got bfp (thyroid meds needed adjusted) she was quite judgemental about being on sertraline and told me to wean off and gave me fluoxetine. I weaned myself off sertraline and didnt start the fluoxetine as i just didnt feel comfortable starting a new medication. Will discuss with consultant at booking but if i need to go back on it later on I might as i feel risk is small and better have a healthy mum. I do notice a difference but also pregnancy hotmones are raging! I am just trying to remind myself to take it easy and go easy on myself! Also still having counselling so that is great help too. Sorry for the ramble! If i can help in any way happy to try. Good luck xx

Last edited:
Thanks guys :)
I feel more angry and snappy when I don't take them and I'm more prone to panic attacks and just crying in general! With pregnancy hormones I think I'm more aware of all these happening, I've cried twice this morning for no real reason! Getting it all out before work I guess. I think I'll give it a few more weeks then see the doctor again, I'm just not wanting to take anything so early in my pregnancy as I'm petrified I'll do some harm :(

Thanks guys :)
I feel more angry and snappy when I don't take them and I'm more prone to panic attacks and just crying in general! With pregnancy hormones I think I'm more aware of all these happening, I've cried twice this morning for no real reason! Getting it all out before work I guess. I think I'll give it a few more weeks then see the doctor again, I'm just not wanting to take anything so early in my pregnancy as I'm petrified I'll do some harm :(

Hun, try to get activity in your life. Go out for walks or take up yoga to calm your brain.

They do help massively

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back