Another random question from me!

SarahCarps2be

Reaction score
As the title says lol,

Another random question from me, I must be having a pondering day today!!

My midwife, who I see all the time (I've never changed midwifes or anything).
When I go into labour and give birth, will she be there at the birth? :eh:

I'm glad you asked this cos i was wondering the same about mine! :D

I think it depends on whether she is available at the time? Hopefully though! x

I don't think so. You will be in the hospital with the midwives on duty at the time.xx

Ahhhh.

Does the midwife come and check you before you go into hospital to see if your ready or what!?!

I know about the labour bit IN hospital from being now allowed to watch OBEM ;) lol..

What happens before?! :S

It depends on your local policy but usually when you think you are in labour you call your chosen place of birth and then head off to them ( be it your hospital/midwifery led unit) and they manage the labour and birth then you will see your own midwife when you get home :) If you call the out of hours number on your part1 notes they may come and see you but we have 4 midwives on for the whole of notts out of hours 2 north and 2 south and they tend to manage home births. If you are unsure if you are in established labour the hospital may encourage you to pop in for a check or wait and see how you progress at home but you always have both labour suite midwives and community midwives on the end of the phone to advise, reassure and help you decide what's best :) xxx

Community midwives will only be present if they're on duty at the time if you are having a home birth. I saw lots of midwives throughout pregnancy and in hospital, 3 were very good, the rest were a waste of space and some very very curt :(

Last edited:
If i get a waste of space midwife she will be told where to go!

The way it is in my area is that you would only see community midwives if you were having a home birth, and even then your actual midwife may not be on duty.
In my area when your in labour, ring labour ward, tell them what's happening, thy will either ask you to come in or stay at home and call back later... Then when contractions get more closer and longer that's when you head up to hospital. They then examine you and see how far dilated you are etc... If you get kept in etc... Depending what time and how long your in labour you may have a few midwives due to shift changes etc... I think your own community midwife will visit you when your home tho, and once baby's and you have got the all clear you get handed over to a health visitor xxx

I'm glad somebody has shed some light on this! x

I had the same community midwife althroughout pregnancy but didnt see her after i had LO until a week later and then she discharged me the next visit. I think in our area they rotate who does home visits each day as i saw a few different ones but your mw will catch up with you as they like to see baby.
In hospital i had the same midwife from being admitted until 8am when the next one came on but she stayed to see it through with me xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back