Annual Leave

lmwarr

Reaction score
I am due Sept 14th. I usually get 5 weeks holiday a year, am I still entitled to take it all before Sept 14th or is there a law that I have to cut down?

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure if this applies to all companies, but with mine, you still can take holidays while on maternity leave, and still also accrue holidays.

We get 2 options.
I get 27 days, and can either take them all before I go on maternity leave, or I can wait until the end of the year and request that I get the money for any days still outstanding.

Then come 1st January, I get another 27 days for next year, even though I'll still be on maternity leave!!!!

Hopefully this is the same for you.

Hiya,

I was unsure of this so I phoned ACAS.
I get 20 days per year (accrued) and am due 27th August.

They said that everyone is entitled to full holidays and full maternity.

Things only change if you take additionanal maternity leave, then you're holidays are combined with the extra time you have off.

Hope this helps

Sam xx

has anyone been thinking about when they plan to leave work?

I'm due 31st July.. was planning to leave 3 weeks before using up 3 weeks of my holiday allowance. Maturnity would then begin on my due date... was then planning to take 20 - 21 weeks off (out of the 26 wks maturnity leave) which would take me to the begin of Jan 07... I was then planning to going back to work for the remaining 5 - 6 weeks maturnity.. but work 3 days not 5. I will get paid for the 5 as I would still be picking up maturnity pay as well as a wage! My parents are taking the baby 2 days a week which is brilliant! for the first 5 weeks I can slowly introduce the baby to nursery... starting 1 day a week and building upto 3. This is my plans.. if everthing goes as well...

x

I was planning on leaving 2 weeks before my due date but as have found out about the holiday thing I will take a weeks leave before that as well (so three weeks before). I will be taking the full maternity leave I want as much time with my baby as possible before going back to work.

My friend has also offered to look after the baby when I go back to work. I will cut down to four days. My friend is all experienced with children she has a 5 year old and he is wonderful. She is also cheaper than a childminder.

I was planning on leaving 2 weeks before my due date but as have found out about the holiday thing I will take a weeks leave before that as well (so three weeks before). I will be taking the full maternity leave I want as much time with my baby as possible before going back to work.

My friend has also offered to look after the baby when I go back to work. I will cut down to four days. My friend is all experienced with children she has a 5 year old and he is wonderful. She is also cheaper than a childminder.

I plan to finish work 2/3 weeks before due date, also I plan on taking all my matenity leave.
I start uni in the middle of Sept ( i know! ) so I need all the time off I can get! It's only part time (2 days a week) and my Mum is a gem so she will be helping out.
I just really hope I go early rather than late! :roll: :D

Hi all,

Not sure what I will do about mat leave... I think I will work for as long as I can in order to get full pay for as long as poss, then take the full year off.. we are hoping that I don't have to go back to work at all but depends on OH's financial position at the time and how badly off we are!! Unfortunately I don't live near my folks so no free help on offer for us :cry: but will look into child minders as even if I don't go to work there will be some times when I may need to go and let off steam somewhere!!!!

:wink:

Well, me being so old and frail :shock: , I'm planning on going on maternity leave a little earlier than you lot. I think I'm going to need the time on my own before LO arrives.

I'm due 5th September, but I'm planning on going on Maternity leave on the 28th July, so 5 weeks before. That way, my daughter can finish school on the 14th July, she can have 2 weeks with her Dad, then she can come home and have the rest of holidays at home. And I should have 5 weeks before LO is born. Although, I should still have 15 days annual leave left, and if we can budget okay, I may take that for the first 3 weeks instead. But I may have to leave the holiday so I can take the 3 weeks money at Xmas.

Decisions, Decisions......

Oi Tankett.. less of the old and frail please... I am still probably the oldest bint on here!!!!! And at least you are married.. I am a single mum spinster!!! Ooop OH would be mortified if he saw that.. he wants to wisk me off to Gretna green to do the I dos but I won't be forced into a wedding just cos Bod is on its way....... :wink:

I agree.. working up to due date is highly unlikely for me too but I will see how we are fixed for money.. and how much holiday I have left by then. I would love to take a month off beforehand just to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet and boredom before my life changes for ever!!!!!

:p :p

Ooo Anna Marie - Gretna Green!! How romantic!!!

I have a great story about Gretna Green...

My parents went on a coach trip to Scotland a week before Christmas and they stopped off at Gretna Green on the way (and bought lots of shortbread, mmmmm). Well, wherever they go in the world, they are incapable of just taking a photo of a scene, they have to have one or both of them standing in the picture. I asked them what it was like there and they said it was lovely, but they were just about to take the obligitory photo, when a wedding came out of the chapel. I said 'aww, great, you've got a picture of a real Gretna Gren wedding then?'. To which my mum replied, 'Oh no, we didn't take any of the wedding, but I had to keep moving around because they kept getting in the way of your Dad trying to take my picture!!!!' So these poor people have gone all the way to Gretna, just got married, and in all of their wedding pictures, there's this mad women in a green anorak with windswept hair smiling at some old geezer with a camera!!! :shock:

I hope I become that senile and selfish some day!!! :lol: :lol:

wot are you doing on here at 3pm today????? shouldn't you be having a scan???? am i wrong again? was your scan booked for 2pm today?

x

No Hayley, it's 9.30am tomorrow.

Sorry - I saw that you had put on another post and wished my good luck for this afternoon but I forgot to reply!!!

Another sleepless night to look forward to before I get the reassurance I need that everythings okay...

:lol: Tankett.. bless your parents!!!!

Another sleepless night.. yes indeedy.. just don't spend it measuring yourself again!! Engross yourself in a good book [not a pregnancy one!] to take your mind off things and maybe you will then sleep.. I am like that most nights.. drives me mad.

Anyway all will be well tomorrow.. am so excited to see your pics... we should have a bet on about whether or not you are having twins.. I would bet YES YOU ARE!!!

xx

me and my pregnancy brain....

I'm sure everthing will be fine... doesn't stop you worrying thou (i know) i can't wait to find out if your having twins or not!!! it's the most exciting thing to happen this week.. this month!

You've got us all on pins so come back on and let us all know asap.

Sending you massive amounts of good luck wishes :)

x

You're starting me to want it to be twins now so I don't disappoint you all!!!!

Sod the getting really fat, being uncomfortable, and have a nightmare trying to raise 2 little children, I just want to keep you lot happy!!!! :lol: :lol:

i'm reading a good book at the mo - Martina Cole - know...

can't put it down...

x

No pressure Tankett!!

[I am just a bit envious - I would love to have twins!] but yes it would not be ideal... carrying all that extra weight around in the blistering summer heat.. oh no...

whatever your scan reveals tomorrow it will be lovely news and we are all just wishing you lots of luck!
x

How exciting Tankett!!!! cant wait to hear your news!!

Twins woohoooo!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :D lol

Steph x

Maternity leave and annual leave is something I simply cannot get my head round.

My little one is due 2nd Aug, I was thinking of finishing work on 14th July - I work 3 days per week Wed-Thurs. I get the full time equivalent of 27 days holiday (so actually get 16 days), so can I take all of my entitlement before than? I am hoping to take 1 year off so should return to work July 07. So I should have another 16 days holiday. Does this sound right??

I work for the NHS and they are quite flexible with working parents

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back