Annual leave

fluff

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Assuming all goes well with this pg... I'm wondering what I should do about my annual leave this year... you see my annual leave year runs from Jan - Dec, so if I go to full term in Sept, I'll have to use my annual leave before I go on maternity leave.

What are you going to do about leave... will you just use it up on holidays etc... during the year, or are you saving it so that you can leave work earlier on maternity leave?

I think I'd be inclined to just use it as I feel like it through the year.. as I'll be off for long enough on maternity anyway, but at the same time... when 'pop' date comes close, would it be better to have some annual leave up my sleeve spare to use if I just can't hack work any more... :)

Thanks!!

P.S. I know it's a bit early, but I can't help but think of these things... :rotfl:

I've been thinking about this too so you're not the only one :)

I've decided to save as much holiday as I can so I can use my annual leave for before baby is due so I can have as much time as possible with baby before going back to work. Hopefully I'll have at least three or four weeks leave left (I get six weeks leave a year) then I can finish a few weeks before baby is due

Have you thought about tagging your leave onto your maternity leave!! Most employers let you do it!! Thats what Im going to do! More time with bubs before I have to go back to work!

I am going to do 1/2 and 1/2. I have 27 days to take before July, so i will take some at easter, some in April and two weeks to watch wimbeldon before starting M/L straight after.

It is actually quite hard to fit in 27 days in 26 weeks, but the thought of that much holiday has made coming back to work this week so much more bearable!

Sandi

I would check with your company whether you can carry holiday over to the next year as you are going to be on mat leave.

Normally we are restricted to only carrying 5 days over at our company. However, I went on mat leave early as my waters broke at 34 weeks.

I was allowed to carry all my holiday over to the following year. I'd be surprised if you're not allowed to tag it onto the end of your mat leave.

It was a godsend when I returned to work because it meant I could do part time weeks by using my carry over hols for a few months :D Meaning you can still get full time pay cos you're using hols to have a shorter week. Plus it eases you back into work gently.

My company are quite strict and they don't allow holiday to be carried from one year to the next... unless exceptional circumstances. I don't think they'd see this as exceptional... they'd expect me to use it before baby's due date.

I have to leave work on mat leave 2 weeks before due date (that's compulsory where I work) so maybe I'll save a couple of weeks so that I can leave 4 weeks before... and then I'll use the rest of my holiday during the year before that....

Thanks for all your replies - it's helped to know what you're all doing!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back