Am i a freak?! :P

christmasbabygirl

Reaction score
My bf is getting really fed up with the crunch crunch crunch of me as i slip out of bed at all hours to raid the freezer for ice cubes.
I am addicted to eating them! i love the crunchyness and coldness in my mouth its the best thing since sliced bread.
if there are none in the house i dont know what id do.
is this odd as i have never heard it before and have been doing it for months but now my teeth are starting to get sore!!!!
xxx

It was simpsons tip tops for me on my last pregnancy, my b/f put a 3 a day limit on me cos the crunching drove him insane but I didn't listen. My tongue got so sore but I carried on regardless-ice is a VERY common craving. I can remember the feeling of desparation when I was running low on tip tops (esp purple ones) I'd find any excuse to 'nip' to tesco!

I was exactley like that when pregnant with my first hun - have since found out that crunching ice is a sign of low iron levels - with charlie i was quite anaemic n needed iron tablets up until he was born and for a while afterwards too - but haven't had same thing with this pregnancy and my iron levels are fine :) might be worth upping your dark green veg intake and checking with the midwife to see if you need to take a supplement x x x :hug:

I loveddd ice, pissed everyone off a treat fillin the freezer with special shaped ice cubed trays from ikea, im still as bad now though !! Maybe not a pregnancy craving as much as a madness thing for me !!

I didnt have iron problems :think: Just into ice i think lol

Yeh like Fly said it can be a sign of pica or Pagophagia!
Though if you have had iron tests and all is normal, then you could just be like MagicMarkers lol! Or me with my "need" to smell petrol, ashtrays, bitumen etc lol :lol:

they say that eating ice cubes like that is a sign of iron deficiency so check those levels!!!

lea m said:
Yeh like Fly said it can be a sign of pica or Pagophagia!
Though if you have had iron tests and all is normal, then you could just be like MagicMarkers lol! Or me with my "need" to smell petrol, ashtrays, bitumen etc lol :lol:

i like ice too hmmm, expecially when u get it from nando's or piza hut or somewhere where its mashed up ice, so its easier to chew and makes less noise! :)

i luuurve the smell of petrol, and tarmac, and other day did the washig, and couldnt stop smelling it.. lol new fabric conditioner, was awfall sat there all afternoo, it didnt get folded lol xxx

haha! its just the ice for me. ooh petrol does smell gooood though and my bros gf was painting her nails in the front room, downstairs with the door closed and i could smell the nail varnish lol!
any smell in the morning gets me gagging though lol!
used to be galaxy chocolate but now ice, so lucky its calorie free lol!!! x

Pica is a term used for a craving for a non food item, ie coal. It can be really dangerous so you have to be very careful. I had a pica which was toothpaste and had to be VERY careful as toothpaste contains fluoride which in larger doses is a fatal poison, especially for a little growing baby. I went to the doctors in the end and he told me to only eat the baby toothpaste which is much lower in fluoride level. This just didnt cut it for me so i went back to normal toothpaste and just ate less. I felt like a drug addict as it was all i could think of all day long, i wanted toothpaste the minty crunchy taste( i liked the gritty one) I had lovely breath and was so glad when i had the babies so i knew it would go, normally i hate toothpaste, it makes me gagg. I can say the second i had them the craving went! WEIRD! It was the first pregnancy symptom i had for my son, i wanted to eat the toothpaste and knew i was preggers again!

Think yourself lucky its ice you crave, toothpaste is expensive. Ice is calorie free too, bonus!

Eww i would hate craving toothpaste! :puke: lol
The need to smell petrol is so bad though! And I know its not good but I too feel like a drug addict?! Its so weird! I have heard of people craving foods before but not so much the smells?! :lol:

During my second pregnancy I once got up at 5 am to raid the freezer cos I was lying awake thinking about eating ice. My baby was due in Feb so I was permanently cold for about 4 months! I'd sit with the heating on, wearing a fleece and eating the ice. My OH got so stressed about me eating it in bed though! He thought I'd gone mad!

My craving started small, where I would just crunch ice in drinks, then by the end I would take 2 pint glasses full of it and sit in a nice warm bath just munching through it. I couldn't freeze it quickly enough so had to buy packets of it!

Never truly believed in pregnancy cravings till mine hit - I would get seriously anxious if I knew I wasn't going to be near a freezer for any length of time. Even took sandwich bags of it to work! My iron levels were all fine though so think it is sometimes just one of those things.

It lasted a few weeks after the birth then gradually faded. Did get it back on a smaller scale with my third baby but nothing so far in this one thank god!

i crave to smell fabric conditioner too it drives my hubby insane iv dissapeared downstairs to sniff the wet laundry again hahaha! i also crave ice LOVE IT! i actually went around the supermarket yesterday with a macdonalds cup of ICE and qauter a cup of OJ :lol: (you self-serve at our McDs so i just fill the cup with ice not drink LOL!) i felt kind of strange but it was sooooo good! my other awfull craving is pickled herring! i could sit and eat jars of the stuff -but has to be pickled with onion and pickles, my MIL bought me herring in garlic tomato sauce and i nearly puked on her! :rotfl:

I have the ice craving too........and have taken to putting it into the food processor and eating it with a spoon, yes I know Im a little mad - but it tastes great when its all crushed up (you cant beat Subway too as they have the self service drinks machine where the ice is all crushed ready for consumption :) )!!!

My other craving, which I have had for weeks now is bath sponges, and managed to find the most fantastic sponge from The Body Shop called the Drench Sponge, much nicer feeling than natural sponges, and the smell and texture is just soooooo good, I do have the odd chew of it too, but dont actually eat it :D

Im so glad im in this Tri now with people with equally mad cravings!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back