already thinking about a family holiday abroad with the little one?!

HannahsBaby

Reaction score
Hey, hope your all blooming, and not horribly spotty and greasy like me!! (All worth it though!) I went into Thomas Cook the other day to pick up some brochures for 2012, the lady said they don't come out till April though..

Maybe I am a little mad for already thinking of a holiday but I really love the idea of getting away for a week- 10 days somewhere lovely next summer 2012 with the little one (they will be 1 years old by then)... Has anyone done this before with their little one? Also curious to know, would babies go free on the plane? Or hotel? I would imagine that they wouldn"t charge much for a baby?

Would love to try for another baby winter 2012, so a break away would be lush.

What to you think and are you thinking of a holiday yet? Xx

Wow you are organized although i do have a trip to Canada planned (in theory) for xmas this year and im dreading it with the baby but should be interesting.
Alot of airlines dont charge for children under 2 as they are not given a seat.

I remember taking my dd away when she was a year and a half and we were not charged for her but as she was very big for her size the airline was lovely and found her a spare seat as the thought of her sat on my knee for a 7 hour flight terrified the lady at check in and air-hostesses (and me )

Not sure about hotels as i dont stay in them i stay with family

hannahsbaby - we are also thinking about a family holiday with our little one in 2012! Because I am not suppose to fly at all during our pregnancy (long story) I am living on pipe dreams!

We are thinking about 2012 as well: Canada in late feb, Greece in April for Easter (my parents are there) and also, something that I thought might be of interest; I spotted this in a magazine - http://www.westincostanavarino.com/en/children's activities THis is a resort which caters for kids 8 mths - 4years.

RE flights, I have been told that on short haul, you can have the child on your lap at no additional cost (I think up to 2 years - but don't take my word for it).

Hotels normally are flexible, especially if you bring your own cot, there usually is no additional charge. If you don't wish to bring your own cot, most provide costs at a small (some at no extra, but this is rare) cost.

Canada in late feb is lovely very cold but beautiful.

im not planning on flying anywhere, but my extended family all live in wales so by christmas this year we will have seen them, which means we'll have the baby with us, and all my OHs extended family live in shropsire so we will also be visiting there at the begining of 2012 :) i think we're a bit crazy as we will be staying with family!!!

we are thinking about a possible holiday next summer.

one to get away as again we are planning another baby not too far behind this one and 2 to get away from the manic olympics over here. should get some bargains because of it i reckon. xxx

Our baby is due in June & we will be going abroad in August. Most airlines do not charge for under two's as they sit on your lap & again with under two's you tend to pay much less or nothing at all for accommodation. Going abroad is not that hard TBH as my in-laws lived in Spain until May last year, so we travelled with Joseph when he was very young. When they are breast fed it's incredibly easy & not too bad with bottles. As they get a little older you just need to check about food, formula, nappies etc. to see if they sell your brand over there, or take it with you. Spain sell Dodots which are the same as UK Pampers. The jarred food wasn't cracking, but we were self catering, so just made our own & froze it or put it in the fridge (Joseph was about 10 months old at the time).
We took packet food such as porridge & puddings as they were light to carry. Most important thing is to make sure they are kept in the shade between 11am-3pm & use loads of sun cream, put a hat on & the UV suits are fab. The little SPF50 play tents are great aswell!
Make sure babies are kept well hydrated, so plenty of juice, water & milk.
Go for it & enjoy it x

Sunnyb xxx

We are going to Tenerife in September, baby will be two months old :eek: but it's different for me as I have a lot of family who live there. But I'm sure you'll be fine x x

me too, we have decided that we are defo going away in 2012, can't wait until the baby is here so that we can book something. We are thinking about a cruise somwhere.. not sure yet but as I've not had a holiday in about 12 years i don't care as long as it's two weeks somewhere lovely and warm!

We took my LO to Spain for a week last September, he was 3 months old and we all had a wonderful time. It was all inclusive and some of the travel companies I searched online charged for him, but with thompsons he's went for free and sat on my knee on the plane. I think its great that you're thinking about your first holiday with your LO x

IHi. I have a travel agency (yay!) and book loads of people away with their lo. Airlines do charge for infants normally between £15 and £35 but scheduled airlines charge a percentage. Hotels Dont charge for infants but a rare few may charge to hire cot. I take travel cot cos Ive seen some really bad ones! I took my lo to Gambia when 3 months old was a breeze, apart from having to give him anti malaria tablets. I had to express milk and crush a quarter tablet every day! I think the older they are, the.more they wriggle, crawl,run off!! most hotel complexes wont have care for under 2. Think about age, pools, things to do and work around that. Infants also Dont get baggage allowance and they need more stuff than us! I recommend just buy nappies etc there. Give me a pm if you need more info or help hun.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all of your positive comments, I am going to print off all this advice ready for next year, you have got me even more excited and confirmed to me that it is possible. What a lovely sunny day it is today - sunny days reemind me of how wonderful this summer is going to be with our little baby. Lots of love xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back