Allergies?

nickilubs

Reaction score
Evening,

I'm going round my parents to stay this weekend with their easter eggs. :) Only problem is that when I moved out they got the most gorgeous lovely little rabbit! Its soooo cute, but they had to wait till I had moved out because I am really allergic to them! I get quite itchy skin around my neck and my eyes will swell and water and then I start to wheeze and cant breathe very well at all.

Because of the weather and the risks of foxes and things they keep the bunnie in the house at the moment, and it seems as if the rabbitness has spread through out the house! So even when we sleep at night it is there, we sleep and have the window open as much as we can.

I had a look at the allergie tablets and I cant find any thats suitable to take during pregnancy...does anyone know of any?

From http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advic ... gnancy.htm

Hay fever and allergies

* For hay fever, first try as much as possible to reduce your exposure to the allergens that trigger it.

* If this isn't possible, you can safely use sodium cromoglicate nasal spray or eye drops in all three trimesters.

* Alternatively, short-term use of nasal sprays containing corticosteroids such as beclometasone is unlikely to cause any harm. With long-term use sufficient can be absorbed to impair the growth of the baby, so these should only be used after discussing any risks with your doctor or pharmacist.

* Products containing antihistamines, such as brompheniramine, meclozine, diphenhydramine, doxylamine, cetirizine and loratadine should generally be avoided, as there is insufficient information about their safety. However, chlorphenamine is generally considered safe to take during all three trimesters, if the measures mentioned above fail. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicines during pregnancy.

* Antihistamine nasal sprays and eye drops should be avoided.

* Nasal decongestants, such as pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine, xylometazoline, oxymetazoline should also be avoided as there is insufficient evidence of their safety. Steam inhalations should provide some relief from nasal congestion.

And interesting...

During the second trimester medicines can interfere with the development of the baby's nervous system, or with the growth of the baby, resulting in a low birth weight. However, generally, experts believe that the second trimester is the safest period to take medicines.

Hmmm, I get allergies too (cats, dust, mould, that kind of thing, and when I asked the doc about it they advised me to stick to nasal sprays (as my nose runs and I also get asthma)

Maybe you could ask your parents if they could limit where the rabbit goes for a couple of days and give the place a really good hoover (I've had friends who have done that when I've been to their houses); keeping the window open, especially when you are asleep is also a good idea.

All the best! I know how much of a nightmare it is.......flippin allergies!!!

Hi :wave:

I have lots of allergies unfortunately... to dust mites, animals that have fur, and lots of different types of food, and I react differently to them all. I also have asthma. I had a lengthy discussion with my GP about my medication, and basically there is no medication that is safe to take unless absolutely necessary as a one off, apart from the nasal sprays as stated nickyb's quote. Inhalers are also fine to take if you have asthma. basically avoidance is the key so I'd ditto daisyrose's advice. Can't think of anything else to add really, but if I do, I'll let you know!

Allergies are a pain aren't they! I don't go to my in laws house anymore because of their cat. Basically avoidance is my keyword at the moment, but that probably doesn't help! Sorry wish I could help though...

im in the same boat hunny
im allergic to animal fur, dust, tree pollen mushrooms
and i have asthma
ive suffered a bit with my dust one when cleaning i think allergies become more hightened when you preggers :roll:

i have not taken anything for it apart from my asthma inhaler

its hard not to take something i know
ive tried my best to stay away from my key triggers as much as possible
not always easy

how are you feeling now hun?
hope your feeling better :hug:
sarah

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics