Peanuts....

Lilmoomin

Reaction score
I was in a cafe today and said to my mum that I really fancied some peanuts, when the woman on the next table said you cant eat peanuts when pregnant because of allergies! She told me that if either of my boys have any allergies, then this one could & might be allergic to nuts!! My youngest is asthmatic! Is this true?? x x x

Not that im aware of. I eat and ate peanut butter throughout my pregnancies. I know if there is a nut allergyv within the family it isnt advised - but if no nut allergies then ive heard its fine. None of my kids have a nut allergy.

In that purple book they give you at your booking in appointment, theres a section on foods you can't eat, one of which being nuts. Immediately following it says something along the lines of how they used to advise that you don't but now they think its fine so its upto you. Wish i knew where mine was so i could do a direct quote for you.

I know it used to be believed that you can't but now they have a differencing opinion - my mum couldn't 10 years ago with my bro, but now advise in my purple book says they're fine

No-one is allergic to nuts in the family! I have that big purple book, maybe I should try reading it! Thanks girls, will have a look in there.

No-one is allergic to nuts in the family! I have that big purple book, maybe I should try reading it! Thanks girls, will have a look in there.
Its not always informative on everything i tend to use babycenter more, but i know thats in there purely because i remember thinking it was in the wrong list since they then said it was fine

Yeah that doesn't make sense! Whats the babycenter??

Iv been eating peanut butter on toast midwife said it's fine, research has shown little evidence xx

Babycenter (http://www.babycentre.co.uk/) is a website that has masses of information on pregnancy, babies and toddlers. They have a page for every week of your baby's development telling you how they are roughly developing and the kind of things to expect. They also have loads of articles of advise for things like breastfeeding, lists of things to buy, aches and pains etc. They do have forums, but theres so many members they aren't personable like they are here and people don't seem to really bond with others.

If i want to know something like if i should consult my mw or dr cos something hurts, i tend to go there as well as here as the site is so comprehensive.

I got a book from mw and it says that provided you don't have a family history of allegies, there is no evidence to say that you shouldn't eat nuts.

I remember my SIL scaring the crap out of me when I was first pregnant for eating a peanut m&m. Can't wait to throw it back in her face! lol.

xx

What a nosey cow though, I'd have told her to stop listening 2 my conversation x

I read my purple book years ago and every midwife i have had then at the booking in appointment goes through the not to eat and they have all said to me its fine to eat nuts as long as there isnt a allergy within the family.

Roll on mr peanut butter and toast later!!!!

What a nosey cow though, I'd have told her to stop listening 2 my conversation x

I wish I had! But I was so shocked by what she said!

Thanks girls, after reading my purple book last night and listening to your advice, I got the peanuts out! And they was soooo yummy! :)

People seem to become know it alls when you're pregnant eh? Hope you enjoyed xxx

I've been told by my midwife that you should avoid peanuts if you have any allergies, excema or asthma, but if you don't it's absolutely fine to have them.

i have eaten a few bowlfuls this weekend...my midwife said it is fine
mmmm salted :)

I don't have any allergies Susanne but my hubby has asthma and my youngest son has asthma & eczema! Oh shoot, maybe I shouldn't have eaten them :( think I will avoid them from now on, no matter how much I crave them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back