Allergic to Antibiotic?

Zodiac

Reaction score
Oliver had a course of antibiotics last week to clear up a chesty cold.... but a few days into the medicine he developed a rash on his face, with other patches on his body. After 3 days his eyes were getting puffy too.

I've taken him back to Dr's and been given a bunch of creams, oil for his bath & pirition to reduce swelling of puffy eyes & reduce redness on his face.

I can't think of anything else I've changed (diet or washing powder etc.) that could have caused this.

Will this mean he's allergic to ALL types of antibiotic or just this specific one. Could it be anything else & just coincidence it happened at this time?

My poor little boy looks like a puffer fish! :(

Do you know what type of antibiotic it is... ? I'm allergic to penicillin based antibiotics. I had a reaction when I was a kid, but a few years ago I got a mega infection in my throat where it nearly closed up, and even though DH said I was allergic to penicillin, the stupid woman gave me some. I got a rash all over and my eyes puffed up too... :think: It wasn't instant either it was after a day or two of taking the meds and after a week I got diarrhoea and vomiting too :(

It was Amoxicillin (yellow banana flavoured stuff?)

He's not vomited.

He's had more pooey nappies than normal, but not diarrhoea.

Apart from the skin rash, I also felt he sounded a bit hoarse & also at night he's been grabbing his stomach a bit like bad wind/pain!

Hmmm - just checked this out on internet:

Amoxicillin side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

*fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
* nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
* diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
* fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
* easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
* urinating less than usual or not at all;
* agitation, confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior; or
* seizure (black-out or convulsions

:( :( :(

James was given the same stuff for his nappy rash and developed a rash really quickly. Doc said it was the antibiotic so they've put that he's sensitive to penicillin on his notes. He also said not to worry because there are lots of other antibiotics which don't contain penicillin in them and he can have them.

Ryan got a rash after his yellow amoxicillin and a really high temperature so we stopped taking it as it was for his breathing in the first place so we got inhalers instead. He has used it since though and been fine, so maybe its just hit and miss?!

I am allergic to one type of antibiotic and had a terrible reaction, but have been fine with all others I have had. It might also be that he is sensitive to one of the ingredients, though. There are a lot of colours and flavours in the meds for kids!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back