Alcohol during 2WW

Toni_Win

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Just thought I'd canvas some opinions on this. I'm am just into the 2WW this cycle, currently 2dpo, and wondering what is/isn't safe. I've read other forums that say it's ok to drink a little during 2WW because the baby doesn't get any nutrients from you for the first couple of weeks, so you're not passing anything on. But then others say that alcohol can affect your fertility and chances of conception.

Normally I wouldn't even think about it, and I'd only have one or 2 drinks after AF so I know there is no risk, I'm not a big drinker anyway. But next weekend we're going to stay with friends and going to a celidh. There is a mini bus arranged, so I can't use the driving excuse, but if I don't drink then people will be wondering. I really don't want to tell anyone we're trying, or even until we get safely into Tri2. So also being optimistic and thinking beyond 2WW to BFP+

So what excuses do people here use to avoid giving the game away?
1. Driving (that will work sometimes, but I can't drive everytime)
2. Antibiotics - can see a couple of ear/tooth infections coming up, but how many times can you use that excuse?
3. Try and stay out of rounds with other people and just buy my own or get DH to buy them, so I can have the tonic without the gin and no-one need know a thing!

Anything else?

What do people think of the 'drink till it's pink' attitude (i.e. it's OK to drink alcohol till you get your BFP?

Thanks in advance.

I drank in all my 2WWs. I figured until I saw the line and knew it was a BFP there was no need to stop my vice and I was quite a heavy drinker. I stopped smoking before Xmas though. My friend didnt find out she was pg till 3 months and she'd been on 2 holidays and drank and smoked herself stupid and her baba was fine. GL
x

Hi Toni,I've had a couple in 2ww before I was trying I wud have drank myself stupid but wen u know ur not gona b drinking for next 9months it doesn't seem so appealing lol I personally want to stay off it cuz I'm hoping its extra sticky n healthy but everyone is diff,just do wat feels right for u,Good luck xx

I always tend to think worse case scanario just because i am a very responsible person and if something goes wrong, i just know i'd put blame on myself.

So if i drank during my 2ww and then i lost my baby or if it wasn't quite well or even when it got to school and was maybe a bit behind - i would always think "maybe it was because i drank alcohol during the 2ww".

It's just the way i am, probably taking things a bit too seriously :blush:

I think the reason I carried on regardless is because I was convinced it would never be a bfp but who knew eh ;)

when you go to the bar.. ask for a coke or lemonade.. u cant tell theres no vodka in there!! xx

Thanks girls. I think I'm with you LouiseB. I'm feeling really positive this month, so sure we're going to get a BFP. We've bd'd so much in the right window that we've got a really good chance, and used concieve plus too. I know I'm probably setting myself up for dissapointment, but I guess if I havea drink now, and we don't get a BFP, I'll regret it.

Tonic without the gin for me!

I'd have one or two whilst waiting for a bfp, you can't put your life on hold, I wouldn't get hammered though x

I'm with the others - a drink now and then won't hurt. If we don't go out during the 2ww I tend not to drink anything anyway, but if we have got a do to go to I'll order a large wine and make it last all night.

I rarely drink (3 or 4 times a year) but am in my 2ww (5 dpo yesterday) and unusually had 2 glasses of cocktail (cherry sourz & blue curacao and lemonade!). It was tasty :)

My friends got absolutely plastered around me but I stuck to soda water & lime for the rest of the time. 'People' would probably assume it's got vodka in it anyway.

Noone asks me what's my excuse (as I don't normally drink) but out of the possibilities, I'd use the antibiotics excuse.

I didn't drink in my first 2ww, and I felt so stupid. Turning down good wine when dining with family.

A year later and no bfp, I drink in my 2ww. Who knows? It might take years to get pregnant! And I will enjoy my life even though Im ttc. I don't get hammered or anything, but I have a few glasses of wine and enjoy myself! Of course, you have to do what's right for you!!

good luck hun!

xx

Your cocktail sounds gorgeous! x

:merry: Mmm, it really was! :) It was called "Purple Rain" and a deep dark blue-purple colour once we'd stirred it a bit. Definitely recommend if you ever come across it! :)

(Was just disappointed I couldn't try more of the cocktail menu!! Next time eh :D )

I didn't drink in my first 2ww, and I felt so stupid. Turning down good wine when dining with family.

A year later and no bfp, I drink in my 2ww. Who knows? It might take years to get pregnant! And I will enjoy my life even though Im ttc. I don't get hammered or anything, but I have a few glasses of wine and enjoy myself! Of course, you have to do what's right for you!!

good luck hun!

xx

i totally agree with you Esperanza!! i didnt drink for the 1st 2 cycles in the 2ww and when AF turned up i felt an utter fool- kidding myself that this was my month!! so i now drink what i want and go with the flow- causes more anxiety too i felt not drinking not that i drink loads but when i work most wknends so thats a big excuse for me i think if i am off for the wkend then i will have what i want!! :)

I also totally forgot that we're going out for a meal tomorrow night for our 3rd anniversary (didn't forget the anniversary, just that we were going out), so it would feel really weird not having a nice glass of wine with a really expensive meal. Think I'll have one glass of wine tomorrow, then just see how I'm feeling when the weekend comes and, as suggested, go with the flow.

Thanks for all your replies.

I went for about a year with no alcohol during the 2ww. Still no BFP, so as a couple of other ladies have said, be sensible but don't put your life on hold while you're waiting.
I eventually got my BFP via IVF, and had not a single drop of alcohol throughout the whole course of treatment. Alas we had a m/c so just goes to show some things are out of our control.
Good luck :) Xx

Last edited:
I have drunk in all my 2ww as I didn't want to put my life on hold and think a year down the line, if I still didn't have a BFP, that I had been wasting my time. I got totally hammered about 2 days before I found out I was pregnant with Lennon and he turned out absolutely fine, in fact he is very, very bright. I also had a few glasses of wine the night before I got a very very faint BFP this time at 8DPO too and so far, fingers crossed, everything seems to be going well.

Also, it's hard enough trying to think of excuses after a BFP until you are 12 weeks and telling everyone, let alone finding an excuse for the 2ww every month too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back