Air Fresheners around babies.

Urchin

Reaction score
Has anyone heard about this?
Air fresheners can be harmful around babies and children.
I used to use a lot more air fresheners, but now I hardly use any at all.

This has been in the news a few times, I just wondered if anyone here still uses them a lot?

In homes where air fresheners - including sticks, sprays and aerosols - were used every day rather than once a week, 32% more babies had diarrhoea.

The babies were also more likely to experience earache.

Daily use of aerosols such as polish, deodorant and hairspray was associated with a 30% increase in infant cases of diarrhoea, and also affected mothers' health.

These mothers who used air fresheners and aerosols daily had nearly 10% more headaches and were about 26% more likely to experience depression.

I didn't know directly what air fresheners caused, but I did kind of figure they weren't good to breathe in - bad for the lungs perhaps. I don't use air fresheners these days, and if I'm spraying deodorant I always go into another room where Lydia isn't before I spray.

I use absolutely no aerosols (only Clinique Happy as perfume & the odd spray to kill beasties). I use a "crystal salt stick" in place of deodorant. They are very expensive... I think I paid £25 for it, but I'm still using the same stick 3 years later. I hate artificial fragrances & prefer to burn aromatherapy oils.

I was aware of the health risks.... here's an old article....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/203730.stm

Very debatable topic.... so much info available - it's hard to know where t start! :think:

Emilia xx

I never ever use aerosols either, they do my asthma no favours, so idreas to think what they do to a babies chest. I do have one plug in i use very occasionally. I think ill make that even less now. I like homely smells like fresh coffee or home made bread, my house always smells of food LOL!!!!

i havnt used aerosols since i was preg with Dior as they made me sick when i was preg, i always use dove roll on its great, we do have plug in air freshners though? better then the smell of 2 loads of dirty napies :lol:

Hi

Ive heard every house hold cleaner is bad for babies.
I almost joined this home business where you avertise all natural cleaning preducts and it talked about alll the horid stuff in our cleaners its aweful
Katrina

i heard once about a plug in made a dogs hair full out and i havent used them since ... not that i am a dog!! haha but its prob not good breathing in chemicals all day?! xxxx

If I skoosh a bit of aerosol, I dont do it directly in the room the baby is in. The one I have lingers a bit, I have sprayed then walked into it a few mins after and felt the spray still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back