Advice/help needed!

Lea_photo

Reaction score
Our little boy is four weeks old today. Not sure if it affects things differently but he was born at 37+5 and was an crash section. He was 5'11oz when born and is now around 7lb.

Our issue is he doesn't seem to settle between feeds or sleep for long periods and we're just not sure this is normal! I BF for a couple of weeks and he was bottle fed on a night from day three. I changed to formula feeding full time after this. He is currently on Aptimil first milk. He is sometimes having one bottle after another and is taking 120ml at each feed. He is exceeding the recommended amount of bottles on the side of the carton by a lot! We did try hungry baby milk but that didnt seem to satisfy him much either. He brings a little milk up sometimes but a great deal. He seems to be winding ok. He is having plenty of wet and dirty nappies and is gaining weight.

We thought he was perhaps having a growth spurt or catching up from being a bit early but not worried something's wrong! Any help gratefully received!

Firstly, dont worry too much about the recommendated intake for age on the carton, every baby is different!

Id say if he is having one bottle after another and is on 120ml, I would up it to 150ml/180ml, he just probably wants a bigger feed. I personally would avoid hungry baby food, its harder to digest and can cause tummy upset. X

tapatalking x

I'm doing the dangerous thing of googling symptoms! Sounds a but like silent reflux?! Also can you over feed on formula?

You can't over feed. I wouldnt worry, I've had periods like that over the last 5 months too, where he just ate and ate (he was born at 37+3)
I have never used hungry baby milk, just upped his intake and that seemed to satisfy him.
When I talk to my mum about it (who has 3 kids) she just said 'boys are greedier than girls, your brother went through phases of waking up and feeding every hour!'
He will eventually settle down into a more regular pattern of feeding, I think at 4 weeks I was just giving H whatever he wanted!!

I dont think it would be silent reflux if im honest, it just sounds like hes wanting more food. Mention it to HV of worried though. Also he will just be sick if hes had too much milk x

tapatalking x

Babyem he is a bit sicky sometimes and he sometimes flails his arms out, goes red faced and almost knocks the bottle out of my arms! He does seem to get frustrated and mad with himself haha!

Emma, thanks for that. We will maybe up the intake and see how he goes. He's sometimes falls asleep and you think he's had enough, put him down to sleep and then he cries and wants more seconds later.

Don't worry about the milk intake. It's just a guideline. So don't bother what your LO is taking. There's no right or wrong. You can't overfeed a baby. I think it sounds pretty normal if I'm honest. He's needing lots of milk to grow, so that what he's doing. I'd stay away from the hungry baby stuff too...!!
Most babies are sick after a feed, so don't worry about that :) xxx

my first mw told me to always make up an oz more than what they take so that its there should they want it

Does he get up his wind ok? Sometimes young babies confuse wind with hunger - so this may be causing the problem? Perhaps try a bit of Infacol?

Although hungry baby milk says from birth, it is recommended that if you use it - leave it until LO is at least 6 weeks old. At 6 weeks my LO was taking 5-6 oz every 2 hours in the day and 3 hours in the night - a huge amount more than the guidelines say. He was also having a few tummy problems. So just before 7 weeks, I moved him from Cow & Gate first milk to Aptamil Hungry milk. By 10 weeks he was still wanting 7 oz every 3 hours and he still had the same tummy problems. So I changed him to HiPP Organic hungry milk - and it was the best thing I ever did! His tummy problems disappeared and he started going every 4 hours, and 5-6 hours in the night.

I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but that is my experience of hungry baby milk - it suited my LO and I do thoroughly believe that it has it's place. And for people to say "I'd stay away from hungry baby milk" isn't very helpful, when they've no personal experience of it themselves. Every baby is different, what suits one, doesn't necessarily suit another.

Lou xxx

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. Just been to the docs and she has adviser us to keep a diary for the next few days of what's he's having. He wasn't sick before on the aptimil which make me think we should carry on with that for now. The doc said you CAN over feed and maybe when he cries we are quick to stick a bottle in his mouth rather than trying other things. She is going to give us a 'formula' for his weight and rule out the cutting back on the feeds first. It's all trial and error isn't it! X

Lou, he seems to be fine winding, tried infacol too. I think it may just be us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back