About time I joined you...I think I'm ready!

LuciaLeek

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I've been stalking the 2nd tri threads for a few weeks now, but didn't feel too confident in saying hello just yet....so :wave:

I've had a bit of a poo time of late :( ...here it goes...
After a great 12 week scan I was feeling really positive. The sickness started to subside and the sonographer was so lovely showing us all of the healthy and 'normal' features our baby has. Both hubby and I announced our pregnancy to all our friends and family that same day. Two days later, the doctor called to tell me that things had changed. He said my chances of having a baby with Downs Syndrome had increased dramatically; something which he had not seen in 12 years as a GP. My odds had gone from the standard 1 in 1000 to 1 in 194. I am only 28 and this result was the same as someone in their 40s. :shock:

I wasn't too concerned as the scan went so well. Anyway, the more we discussed it with the doc, the more we realised how terrible my bloods must have been. We agonised over what to do and eventually opted for CVS where they push a needle into the abdomen and into the placenta to take a sample. It was slightly painful, but the guilt of putting my baby at risk was worse. We paid the money to get results within 24hours and thank goodness, all was well and results were described as 'normal'. Although this was a huge relief, I wasn't out of the danger zone in terms of miscarriage.

Anyway, that was almost 3 weeks ago now so feeling a lot better about things. However, in saying that, I developed a bit of a rash on the right side of my body last week, from the top of my ribs running through to my stomach. The doc has since diagnosed me with shingles!! :roll: I only went back to school after the summer holidays on Thursday! (I live in Oz, so all is upside down so to speak) and now my boss has told me to take a week off!!

You'd think I'd be glad of it, but when you meet brand new classes, put your rules in place then bugger off for a week, it's hard to get back into! Kids are like cats when you leave them to go on holiday ha ha! They get all restless and a bit huffy when you take time off!

Sorry for the long rant girls...it's not like me at all :blush:. Don't worry - It's not going to be the start of self indulgent posts or anything, but I needed to get this off my chest.
If anyone has any questions at all about the CVS, please feel free to ask!

I hope everyone is enjoying being in Tri 2 and I'm sure I'll enjoy it more soon enough. Thanks for reading xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
hello and welcome! Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed reading especialy as the end result seemed to be a good one ! despite the shingles im glad all is well. I cant imagine how you felt when you got that phone call, I waited for a call or letter and it was the letter that arrived. Luckily i was very low risk, I cannot imagine being told otherwise. Still, all is well and im glad you've decided to join us in tri 2! its a nice place to be! not too worrying because your so early on and not too panicking because labour is so close!

:)

Thanks jld. Yes, it was pretty stressful as it was a difficult decision to make. The nuchal fold and blood tests were just done without being offered. I assumed it was a test everyone did. But after reading on here about other girls, it seems that lots of people decline them. It's obviously different over here. I'm not sure whether I'd do the tests next time round.
Glad to hear that yours came back as low risk and that you're enjoying tri 2! Can't wait to get rid of this bloody shingles now! My DH won't come near me as he hasn't had chicken pox. He's a silly arse! Ha ha!

Thanks for your reply! :) xxx

Welcome to Tri 2 :)

Sorry things have been difficult, hopefully everything is settlednow and you can enjoy your pregnancy!

x

welcome hun- Glad u have decided to come in.. Sorry to hear u been through a lot so far but hope this means u sail throught the rest :) xxxx

Aaaw, thanks for the welcome girls! Fingers crossed that the rest will be a breeze! Ha ha...particularly the birth! lol
xxx

hi hun, glad everything is ok (apart from the shingles), ive just moved over today aswell! :) xx

Hiya! Welcome to tri 2... Aww im really glad things turned out well with the results, just the shingles to contend with now. Poor u! Fingers crossed they clear up soon. Xxx

Thanks again! The shingles will bugger off soon enough methinks! I'm lucky it's not too painful as some people get a lot of pain with it! xxx

Awwwwww bless. Sounds like you've had a rough time. I was the same in my first pregnancy, I was 29 & my bloods came back 1 in 200 chance of downs. But the amnio I was offered carried a 1 in 100 chance of miscarriage, so we had the heartbreaking choice of what to do. In the end we went for private blood tests & a more detailed scan & our results came back much better & after paying for this decided to not have the amnio. Joseph was born completely healthy, but the strain we were put under is awful. This time around we went straight for private blood test & scans to avoid any undue worry & the £250 we paid was well worth it. I have had awful sickness this time around, so can sympathise there too & it only improved at around week 19. I've had the flu aswell over Christmas - but never had the shingles. My uncle got it & was in incredible pain, so you're doing well not to be in too much discomfort. Hope you are on the mend soon & that the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful in the illness department for you hun.
Oh & welcome to Tri 2!!!

Sunnyb xxx

Hey hun!

Welcome over to tri 2 - don't even be afraid a to post - hope you start to feel better soon - if anyone deserves a "bloom" period it sounds like it's you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back