A quick caffeine question

I'd really advocate giving the diet coke a miss if you can - it's full of baddies.

I drink lemon & ginger tea in place of caffeinated stuff and find it okayish.

xx

Heya!

Pre-pregnancy I loved my tea, used to have 2-3 cups a day but managed to get used to Redbush as an alternative about two years ago.... it's not the same but it's nice enough!

I can't stand tes now though!! I've started liking coffee again but only have it once a week or so just because I am really fussy when it comes to coffee and the whole coffee machine thing takes too long so it's a saturday morning affair.

As for 'Diet' drink alternatives the aspartme that is not good for bubs or us really. I teand to avaoid due to getting headaches.... trouble is most fruit squashes are now 'sugar free' but laced with aspartame so I stick to water and herbal tea with my weekly coffee.

xx

I assume I should stick to real sugar and not sweetner (I normally use Candarel tab's)

xxxxxxxxx

Don't use canderel, I would use sugar but after trimester 1 I am planning to use Splenda but for totally different reasons. If you must use eventually sweetener go with splenda not with canderel.

So nobody jumps on me for that I am not planning to use more than one or two per day in a coffee, tea and the reason is that at the second trimester LO starts producing its own insulin. As I am obese the risk for gestational diabetes is very big for me so I will cut down slightly my carbohydrates in an attempt to avoid that.

I used to absolutely adore coffee and tea but the last couple of weeks I cannot stand the thought of coffee, before I found out I was pregnant I stopped being able to finish a cup which should have been a sign! I gave up tea quite easily, but I got myself a tin of vanilla tea from Starbucks which is so amazing. I've always been a big herbal and fruit tea drinker but finding most of those hard to stomach at the moment. I've quite taken to hot water with a slice of lemon and orange in it.
Never really been a big coke drinker, unless there's rum or vodka involved lol but some mornings a half glass of diet coke is all that seems to be able to get rid of my nausea... Do they still make caffeine free coke or is that just as full of baddies as diet?

hi girls, just want to say, before i got pregnant i was a massive tea drinker used to have 4-5 cups of tea a day and then 2-3 of coffee (tea and coffee used to be free at work) but then because i worked in a kitchen i used to buy a big bottle of fizzy pop (cuz it was cheaper than using the pubs pepsi)

when i fell pregnant i did cut down on the amount of coffee i drank if i'm especially tired i have one in a morning but some days i hardly drink any, i hardly have fizzy pop anymore- prefer squash and juices. but tea i still drink the same and to be honest it hasnt done me any harm and my baby boy is very healthy. my doctor told me if that's what i was used to consuming then the risk is probably minimal because my body is used to a certain amount of caffeine.

i don't smoke, i dont drink, i dont like chocolate very much so why deny myself a cuppa something in which i do enjoy.

dont stress about what you cant have, i've had a problem free pregnancy and when i have my next one i wont change anything just the same as i have with this one.

hope i've helped xx

Last edited:
I started out stopping having anything that was "meant" to be bad for me... i cut out tea, coffee and coke totally along with some foods. Now i am technically in tr 2 i have started treating myself to the odd tea and diet coke! I was so paranoid in tri 1 :(

I may turn into a crab stick soon... i ate 4 packs!

I dont drink much coffee normally apart from when I'm at work when there is always a hot drink on the go.
I've switched mostly to tea now (went right off it last pregnancy) because of the lower caffeine content .

Sorry to drag this thread up again...

Can I have normal Sprite?

xxxxxxx

Ignore me - I see that I can have normal Sprite :) :dance:

xxxxxxxxxx

The caffeine thing has been a real challenge for me. I'm a complete tea belly, and have been right since being a little girl. I was probably having about 10-12 cups a day, as well as a can of Diet Coke most days too. I switched to about 75% decaf whilst TTC, in the hope that it wouldn't be such a shock to my system when I hopefully got pregnant and had to really cut down. I'm now totally off the Diet Coke, and don't have more than one cup of 'real' tea a day. I'm finding it nice to have my caffeinated 'treat' in the afternoons at work to help with the post lunch slump. Currently only at week six, and trying so hard to do everything by the book! I agree about the Appletiser. It feels all glamourous having that in a wine glass! xxx

I dont like tea and I dont like coffee but I LOVE coke (a-cola not cocaine ;) )
I have given it up completely because I have been suffering palpatations.
I do miss it but I now just drink very watery vimto or Volvic with peach (the still one) and fresh orange xx

I am a self confessed coke addict too!! Was guzzling away at it up until 6 weeks, when I found out I was pregnant, and was horrified that I'd been drinking away at it without a care in the world!!! So cut it way down since then. Was worried it might have done some harm, but I think so long as you stick within the guidelines it should be ok! xx

Hey hun, lovely to see you post here as a fellow tri 1-er :) I used to live off red bull and diet coke and have stopped both completely. Red bull is obvious to stop when preg but with the diet coke it wasn't the caffeine, it was more about the artificial stuff in it - I can't remember the name of it but someone told me 1 of the chemicals isn't good for you at all nevermind for baby. And I'm such a paranoid wreck that I have quit it altogether! As for tea, I still enjoy a wee cup a day :) xxxx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I quit redbull too as i was an addict and used to give me stomach cramps before i was pregnant so i gave us as soon as i found out! I think as long as you do everything in moderation you should be fine xx:wave:

Hi try redbush tea it's lovely just like tea and caffeine free :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back