• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A quick caffeine question

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Is it best to totally stop caffeine or stick within the guidelines?

I am a tea drinker (3 cups a day - but have cut back since last week)

I also enjoy the odd Diet Coke - maybe 2/3 cans a week?

I want to eliminate as many risks as possible in these early days. Luckily I don't like anything else you are not supposed to have when pregnant :) (apart from peanuts, and again I know you can have them if there is no history of allergy)

Thanks in advance

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
I think sprite is caffeine free- you could get ur fix from that?

What harm is in caffeine? Xx

I think sprite is caffeine free- you could get ur fix from that?

What harm is in caffeine? Xx

I like Sprite!!

I think caffeine is linked to lower birth weights?

(Off to Google now as I don't even know why I can't have caffeine LOL!)

xxxxxxxx

I think if u stick within the guidelines u should be fine! Pregnancy isn't about depriving urself :)

Last edited:
I wasn't a coffee lover before but I was drinking quite a lot tea. Now I have only a cup of tea per day and most of the days I drink camomile or mint tea or so e other herbal tea.
I dont fancy cola either but I did have one last weekend. I would say that the sweeteners thought from the diet coke are best to avoid at least so early in pregnancy and then maybe later just moderate use?
I mostly drink fresh juice and water nowadays.

Thanks ladies!

I do drink mainly water (I love water!!) but I do like a nice cuppa as well?

I may just limit to one a day and have some fresh juice instead... I have a camomille before bed - If I drank it in the daytime I'd be asleep within the hour LOL

Caffeine has been linked with low Birth Weight and miscarriage (from what I just read online, but this is excessive caffeine use and even then the risks are still low!)

I agree that Diet Coke is full of artificial sweetners - but I do love it..... I may give my stash away though!

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I'd just stick to the guidelines. I've continued to have tea and coffee throughout pregnancy and all is well.

I generally have a max of 2 per day maybe 3. But have also had decaff tea and coffee if I've wanted more (I can't tell the difference)

I also haven't really counted
Caffeine if I've had chocolate or anything. Each to their own and do what you thinks right. I've followed your story carnat but never commented so I can understand if you're worried

Fx you have a sticky one this time xx

Decaf?

I am a coffee fiend and really struggled at first with cutting back. I had 5-6 cups of tea/coffee at work!!

I switched to decaf tea bags (not quite the same but nevermind) and quit the coffee. I have a costa on a special occasion these days.

I also love diet coke too so I've had to cut back on that. My staple drink in a bar is a diet coke so I've had to order different things.

See how you go for tri 1, I've relaxed a bit since then but you don't want to be beating yourself up over something that you can change x

Oh and stay away from google!!!! It's evil xx

The Dr told me the main thing I need to do is relax and treat this as a "new" pregnancy....

I guess overthinking things is not exactly doing that?

I really don't like decaff tea (I threw out my decaff teabags !!)

But I think if I stick to 1-2 cups of tea a day I'll be OK....

I know that caffeine is only bad when taken excessively....

I think I started this thread as I fancy a cuppa (had some water and a yoghurt instead!)

xxxxxxxxxx

Hey hun, lovely to see you post here as a fellow tri 1-er :) I used to live off red bull and diet coke and have stopped both completely. Red bull is obvious to stop when preg but with the diet coke it wasn't the caffeine, it was more about the artificial stuff in it - I can't remember the name of it but someone told me 1 of the chemicals isn't good for you at all nevermind for baby. And I'm such a paranoid wreck that I have quit it altogether! As for tea, I still enjoy a wee cup a day :) xxxx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I love my tea and coffee, stronger the better!
At first I found it really hard to cut back and I hate decaf grinds as they taste very funny; make my mouth dry,
so I did half decaf and half normal grind and still tastes good,

When I hit 6 weeks I found I went totally off tea and coffee; in fact could drink or eat very little so took it that my body knew what was good or not!
Back on a cup of tea a day now, still cant drink coffee
Watch chocolate too that has caffeine in too apparently; no wonder it makes you feel so good!

Hey hon,

I cut down to two portions a day (either tea or coke) in tri 1, and now in tri 2 I allow myself 3 portions a day, 4 if it's a rough day!!

I've seen a list online somewhere of every single beverage and its caffeine content, so I just bear in mind the things I like and their caffeine amount and make sure it's less than the 200mg a day.

I asked the doctor if there was any chance my early losses were due to caffeine intake and he said 'you've read that on the internet I take it? Don't believe it, it's not even worth thinking about' - and clearly he was right, because this one has put up with my caffeine intake xx

Edit: here's the list - http://www.energyfiend.com/caffeine-content-uk-europe-drinks

Last edited:
I cut back completely but relaxed now and stick to the guidelines. I don't fully understand the risks but guessed if I get a buzz from caffeine my baby would be? Xx

I was never a tea or coffee drinker so that was easy but fizzy drinks are my downfall but yes Sprite and 7UP have no caffeine so i try and stick to those if I want a fix though I do have other fizzies as sometimes sprite and 7up dont cut it.

Had a panic earlier on in the week that I was harming minion with the fizzies but the girls calmed me down. I also drink huge amounts of milk

xx

You are all so helpful - thanks!

Just been out and got some Pomegranate juice! Yummy!

xxxxxxxxxxx

I've cut out coffee completely - although I'm loving the smell of other people's coffee, and have moved onto drinking de-caf tea - I can't tell the difference in tea but I think I probably could in coffee.

I'm a big tea drinker, usually having about 8 cups a day, so I've had quite bad headaches from caffeine withdrawl.

Hey hon.

I HATE decaf tea but tried the Yorkshire tea decaf and I can't tell the difference! Neither can dh when I've given it to him and not told him ;)

A few cups a day will be ok though. Main thing is you relax.

GL xx

Edited to add try appletiser it comes in lots of flavours and I have it in a champagne flute and pretend its the real thing! Ha ha xx

Last edited:
I dont drink coffie but love my cups of tea - i am by no means a tea tank but like a few cups & i still have my cups of tea :)

I dont have any fizzy drinks just stuck to diluted juice - vimto- summer fruits. I loved my cherry coke so was hard to give up but the juice is just as nice & i drink loads of flavourd volvic water. :)

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back