a poll on sanitary wear...

I have a mooncup but use tampons - I can't get the mooncup to sit right and it's so uncomfortable. I can feel the thing you use to remove it all the time and I have now cut it so short that it isn't there :| it's really annoying actually. Think it's the way my fanjita is as I have followed all the instructions right and it catches all blood fine, it just rubs at the opening (sorry for the delightful TMI!)

Mooncup for me, it changed my life.

Cost £17.95 and I've never had to buy any sanitary protection since, so like you Lisa, I'm saving a fortune. Had to buy a new one after I gave birth though in "bucket fanny" size :rotfl:

monster_munch said:
I have a mooncup but use tampons - I can't get the mooncup to sit right and it's so uncomfortable. I can feel the thing you use to remove it all the time and I have now cut it so short that it isn't there :| it's really annoying actually. Think it's the way my fanjita is as I have followed all the instructions right and it catches all blood fine, it just rubs at the opening (sorry for the delightful TMI!)

No, I had to remove the stem completely or I get rubbing. Once I took it all off it was totally fine. I remove it by just grabbing hold of the cup bit and pulling down (carefully - I got blood on the cat once :rotfl: ) then I wash it out and put it back in.

The big advantage of the Mooncup is that you can leave them in all day and you don't leak (when I'm particularly heavy at the beginning, I'm a flooder which is why tampons never worked for me, I have to change it every 4-5 hours instead)...

Also (sorry to spam the thread) those cloth pads actually look like a fantastic idea.

Do they stain badly? How much do they cost?

nah they hardly stain at all.. run them under the tap or flush the loo over them and soak in water if you arnt washing them straight away (i wash all the blood off with the shower head down the loo then put them in a cup (travel cup with a lid) with water in untill i do the washing (i wash everyday so it isnt long) then wash in the machine on a normal wash and i even peg them on the line.. you cant tell what they are.. they are dry in no time.

I have used cloth sanitary towels, so much nicer then the disposable ones. I used to get really uncomfortable with the disposable ones and found they made me really hot down there and just felt yucky. I am really heavy sowould wear a tampon and towel. But the cloth ones are somuch better and cope with my flow brilliantly. Am goingto get a mooncup when my periods return.

lisa&alex said:
nah they hardly stain at all.. we suggest running them under the tap or flush the loo over them and soak in water if you arnt washing them straight away (i wash all the blood off with the shower head down the loo then put them in a cup (travel cup with a lid) with water in untill i do the washing (i wash everyday so it isnt long) then wash in the machine on a normal wash and i even peg them on the line.. you cant tell what they are.. they are dry in no time.

the price's range from around £4-£15 each with some companies ours are £4

I was wondering that, im gonna order a couple on hubbys pay day on friday, now I know your a reg on here Im gonna order from you, (i dont trust companys I dont know!)

I've just ordered a skulls cloth towel off your website Lisa- i use disposables but they are uncomfy and i don't like tampons so thought i'd try a cloth towel and see how i get on with it :)

I use tampons mainly... I did have a moon cup... but found it would leak the first two days of a period, which was just a pain as I'd end up wearing pads and I'm sorry if its TMI, but sitting in my own rotting sanitary blood, having it coagulate and grow bacteria next to my skin, for any length of time... like sitting in a nappy.... well... that just makes me feel :puke: :puke: :puke: I don't think it would matter if it were cloth or disposable...But with cloth I just don't fancy having a bucket full of dirty, bloody towels slowly smelling and rotting in the corner of my bath room, not to mention having to carry around a bloody sanitary towel in my bag if it needs changing when I'm out. :shock: ... just... ewwwwwwwwww :puke: :puke: :puke: As DH says I don't like icky...

i can imagine cloth really loverly , just like an extra knicker lol but what on earth do u do with it when out and about and you need to change ! i just cant imagine carrying it round with me :shock: but cant help thinking how nice it would be compared to sweaty towels lol ive never got on with tampons !

You get lovely little bags to put them in, waterproof ones. If someone saw it, they wouldnt know what it was.

I rinse mine with the shower head and wash them with DJ's nappies every other night.

i just thought the same- i ordered 1..just to try it out and if its good then i'll order some more-
but yeah not sure about the out and about thing. don;t really want it in my bag- lol

i dont know about ne1 else but ive never had to change when im out.. il make a wet bag up for you fran :)

I used to use tampons in the day and pads at night, i hate pads but i felt fresher for using them over night.

My preference will probably change now, but we'll have to see when i have my first period, those cloth pads look good though, i may consider getting some

i use tampons either lillets or tampax but its gotta be the compact ones that look like sweets! and even post-baby im proud to say i can hold in the purple virgin ones! :dance: and i use them carefree perfect fit liners that are uber-thin and bendy so u cant feel them. i hate pads :puke:

altho my normal strategy to save money is to not have breakthrough bleeds as im on the pill so i start a new pack as soon as i finish one. i'll have a period about 3 or 4 times a year, when i can be bothered :lol:

well the pill is free on nhs but sanitary wear isnt (maybe it ought to be!) so im saving around 75% on periods hehe!

it aint workin atm tho im bleeding even while on the pill, grr! doin my head in it is

This site is a really bad influence on me! I've spent a fortune on things recommended! Lol.
Just showed OH the site with the cloth pads and he thinks it's a brilliant idea. And a good way of saving money in the long run! So once my 1st period has returned and i get an idea of what it'll be like, i'll be ordering some! Lol.

I use Lil-lets... always have done, always will do 8)

Pads make me feel disgusting, I can't stand them :talkhand:

The thought of the mooncup also makes me feel a little ill, even if it is supposed to be great :lol:

I don't care how much I spend on sanitary wear to be honest, if you need it you need it, I'm willing to pay for whatever makes me feel comfortable :)

lisa&alex said:
:? isnt that dangerous?

Not in moderation no, but doing it constantly isnt recommended. I used to always just have a period when i felt like it when on the pill, but i didnt leave it that long, id just postpone it if i was going on a date that week or if i was away etc. I was always bad at havign a period at the right time and after 4 years on it i just felt wrong, problem is as soon as i came off i got pregnant :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back