A (hopefully) expectant father here

Reaction score
Hello :wave:

A (hopefully) expectant father here!

My wife and I found out the other day that according to the 6 pregnancy tests we took she is very much pregnant and is 1-2 weeks along according to the clear blue test we took. We're delighted but obviously this being (hopefully) our first we're very nervous and I am especially concerned about everything so thought I'd ask some questions here to put my mind at rest.

Since we found out my wife she has been experiencing on and off cramping pains in the stomach, hips and radiating down the thighs - is this normal? They aren't unbearable and keep coming and going. She also had some very light pink spotting when wiping, is this also normal for the first few weeks? This hasn't been happening for the past few days. Weirdly she hasn't been feeling sick or having any other symptoms really (maybe tiredness), once again is this normal?

We went to the GP this morning who didn't do any tests but congratulated us. Said what we mentioned sounded normal but "what will be, will be" - I've since completed the form to get set up with a midwife and scan with the local hospital. Waiting game now to hear back from them.

Apologies for the long post and lots of questions. Hoping a few of you will be in the same board and can understand my worrying :lol: just hoping for a successful and worry free pregnancy! Thanks

Hi Harvey! So lovely to hear from a Daddy :) Everything you're worrying about it completely normal, I think just about everyone goes through it. It is a terrifying time and the tiniest twinges and pains can be very disconcerting. Yes, pains are very normal in the first few weeks, especially with first time Mummies, as the uterus is already getting prepared for all the stretching it has to do over the coming months.. Same with bleeding, it could be further implantation of the embryo or just residual blood from something else. Pains and bleeding in early pregnancy cause no end of stress but I think a little common sense prevails - if the pain is severe and the bleeding getting heavier and more consistent, it's sensible to get it checked over. I also wouldn't worry about her lack of symptoms - some lucky women experience symptomless pregnancies whilst others get the full shabang! She is still very early in her pregnancy and her hcg levels will be fairly low - they hike up significantly at 6 weeks so she is likely to feel something then!! Tell her to enjoy still feeling ok whilst she can ;) I wish you and your wife all the best with your pregnancy - and can I just say how lovely it is how excited and involved you already are - she's a lucky lady. Kate xx

Hi Harvey! So lovely to hear from a Daddy :) Everything you're worrying about it completely normal, I think just about everyone goes through it. It is a terrifying time and the tiniest twinges and pains can be very disconcerting. Yes, pains are very normal in the first few weeks, especially with first time Mummies, as the uterus is already getting prepared for all the stretching it has to do over the coming months.. Same with bleeding, it could be further implantation of the embryo or just residual blood from something else. Pains and bleeding in early pregnancy cause no end of stress but I think a little common sense prevails - if the pain is severe and the bleeding getting heavier and more consistent, it's sensible to get it checked over. I also wouldn't worry about her lack of symptoms - some lucky women experience symptomless pregnancies whilst others get the full shabang! She is still very early in her pregnancy and her hcg levels will be fairly low - they hike up significantly at 6 weeks so she is likely to feel something then!! Tell her to enjoy still feeling ok whilst she can ;) I wish you and your wife all the best with your pregnancy - and can I just say how lovely it is how excited and involved you already are - she's a lucky lady. Kate xx

Thank you Kate! That's wonderful advice and thank you so much for the kind words :D

Congratulations! I am sadly not pregnant as yet so cant give first hand advice but what I have read on here it all sounds quite usual. How lovely to hear a father to be so involved and excited not to mention pro-active, I hope it all goes well for you both, you sound like you will be a lovely dad

Ah a Dad to be! Hi!

From personal experience. I had all of the above in the beginning and even still a bit now, it's usually the uterus stretching. It its accompanied by red blood or moderate to server pain in one area in particular then I would advise going to your local EPAS unit. Breath and try not to worry for this next 10ish weeks as unfortunately we can't really change what date has already set! Make sure wifey takes her folic acid, vit d & omega oils daily, gets a lot of rest, doesn't have hot hot baths (or use hot water bottles for cramps) and I advise downloading the app 'Glow ' as she can log her symptoms etc daily to track things like spotting etc xxxxx

Thanks for the very kind comments :) the lack of symptoms such morning sickness and painful breasts were worrying us but good to hear others have the same as well.

Another very quick question around how many weeks pregnant. The Clear Blue digital test we used on Tuesday said 1-2 weeks, pregnant (which is right as it was conceived two weeks prior). When I put the conceived date we think into a few apps it states she is just over 4 weeks pregnant - which one is it? Just over 2 weeks or just over 4 weeks?

Thanks again!

She is just over four weeks, doctors add two weeks as they count the two weeks leading up to ovulation :) congratulations

Last edited:
She is just over four weeks, doctors add two weeks as they count the two weeks leading up to ovulation :) congratulations

Thank you!

Hope to hear from the midwife at the hospital I sent a referral form to yesterday soon then.

No problem, and I did one of those to, I sent mine off when I was 6 weeks and I'm still waiting for it! I've rang them and they said it's on the way .. I hope so!

Morning all!

As I mentioned previously, thanks for the kind comments.

As I'm worrying like mad, I made my wife take another Clear Blue digital test yesterday evening. It has come up as Pregnant 2-3 weeks now, it was 1-2 a few days ago! Which is spot on and I'm assuming good news as this means the levels have increased and things are progressing well - correct? I'm assuming that's how Clear Blue digital tests work anyway.

She still hasn't had any morning sickness or tender boobs - when do you think we should expect that to kick in and should be worry if it doesn't?? She complained a little bit of back ache this morning, said it felt like her hamstrings were getting tight. Again, does this sound normal to you ladies? Cramping is less now and the spotting has pretty much stopped at the moment, maybe a slight bit of pink yesterday.

Hopefully everything is going well with all of you!

Last edited:
Some people don't get morning sickness at all my sister didn't! Mine didn't kick in until about 6 weeks with my first and and towards the end of 5 weeks this time.
I'm not sure about boobs as mine were always the first thing to let me know when I have been pregnant but again I have read that some women don't experience this boob tenderness either.

She could find she becomes very very bloated even now at nearly 20 weeks I'm one big fart machine.

Good luck for your sticky bean.

Some people don't get morning sickness at all my sister didn't! Mine didn't kick in until about 6 weeks with my first and and towards the end of 5 weeks this time.
I'm not sure about boobs as mine were always the first thing to let me know when I have been pregnant but again I have read that some women don't experience this boob tenderness either.

She could find she becomes very very bloated even now at nearly 20 weeks I'm one big fart machine.

Good luck for your sticky bean.

Thanks for the comments. She did mention she's very 'gassy' at the moment :lol:

Am I right in my thinking of the clear blue digital test and how it works?

Hi Harvey
I don't think you have any reason to worry. Instead hope that your wife will be one of the lucky ladies who never gets sick. While it's the most commonly known symptom, far from everyone experiences, and even those who do get sick might not notice much until six weeks or more. I was only slightly nauseous up to week ten, that's when the vomiting started.
And yes, Clear Blue works like that, but it's less accurate measuring hcg in urine than in the blood, which is why you get a result ranging over two weeks.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Hi Harvey
I don't think you have any reason to worry. Instead hope that your wife will be one of the lucky ladies who never gets sick. While it's the most commonly known symptom, far from everyone experiences, and even those who do get sick might not notice much until six weeks or more. I was only slightly nauseous up to week ten, that's when the vomiting started.
And yes, Clear Blue works like that, but it's less accurate measuring hcg in urine than in the blood, which is why you get a result ranging over two weeks.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Thank you Rhiandell :) really appriciated.

So the fact Clear Blue has moved from 1-2 to 2-3 would suggest that the hcq has increased as expected so far?

Gassy has been the only symptom that's been constant with me! Don't worry too much :) clear blue has shown good progression, just don't get too piss happy as it will drive you loco crazy! xxxx

*poas happy!!! Oops!!

Haha Blonde - both work :lol:

It sounds like everything is going great Harvey and yes, that is a good indiction from the Clearable that her hug levels are increasing which they should be.. Again, don't stress too much about symptoms.. Everyone is so different.. some come and go, some days my boobs hurt, others my nipples tingle, others they're completely normal! I am also incredibly bloated and have been from the start so i'm sorry but you'll have to excuse her farts and burps for the foreseeable!! Good luck guys, sounds like everything is as it should be at this stage!

Morning all!

Once again, can't thank you all enough for the kind and informative comments :)

Just a quick update, we got a letter through from the midwife office today saying our 1st appointment will be on the 4th August! Said they'll answer any questions we have and arrange our first scan. They also said that they'd like to see my wife alone - is this normal practice for the 1st meeting? Still not many symptoms which is always going to concern me but the replies on here have helped massively so thank you.

Also, does anyone have any experience of potential Thyroid problems and pregnancy? My wife had a blood test a few weeks ago re her Thyroid (before we knew she was pregnant). The tests came back saying that her Thyroid hormone levels are fine but she has high levels of Thyroid antibodies. The letter says that means she has a high chance of developing Thyroid issues in the future and to test every 6 months or so. A quick google suggests potential a link between Thyroid problems and pregnancy - does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? I've told her to call the midwife office today to mention this just in case.

Thanks again all!

Morning Harvey :)

It's very normal for them to request for her to come alone - this is because they ask personal questions about home life, domestic abuse and the such so they prefer for partners not to attend (or to at least leave the room for the section of the appointment) so as the woman feels free to divulge. You're not missing out on much - just a whole load of questions about family history, so don't worry!

I'm sorry i've never experienced thyroid issues, hoping someone can hop along with some insight soon. Definitely worth her mentioning to the midwife to see if she's got any experience with it x

Thanks Kate :) I did wonder why they made it very clear they wanted her to go to the appointment on her own.

According to my wife the midwife was pretty poor, just said she didn't know and told her to talk to the Doctor. She's got a phone appointment tomorrow to ask them (Doctor) directly so hopefully they can put our mind at rest.

We're still waiting for the normal symptoms to kick in. She keeps on getting slight cramps around the hip and lower stomach, mainly after having a wee. Some bloating and feeling gassy but that's it so far - no real sickness or sore nipples/breasts. She just said to me that is feels pretty weird she keeps forgetting she's pregnant as it isn't obvious at the moment - in a weird way, I want one of the normal symptoms to kick in soon just for piece of mind :lol: which is bad but I'm sure you ladies know what I mean. I keep trying to remind myself that not having some symptoms is normal but still.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back