How much bleeding is normal?

port7

Reaction score
OK, we have just found out we have conceived several tests confirmed pregancy, this past weekend.

My wife was due on her period last week and there was slight spotting but she never 'came on' and so we did the tests and found out the good news. That stopped on Saturday night, then Tuesday the spotting started again, brown and very light red in colour, the ammount is probably 1/20 of a teaspoon each time. We saw the doctor yesterday (Wednesday) and she said that was normal and its was just the pregancy establishing itself.

The spotting is continuing today and its still very slight. It seems to be worse after a bath, and I think its just the bath water 'swilling out' the cervix etc.

Anyway should we be worried, what should we do etc? Any thoughts and advice very much apreciated, this is out first time being pregnant after sevral years of trying and so I guess there is a lot of emontions flying round at the moment too.

P.S. This is my 1st post, so hello to all!

First of all, Congratulations! It is quite normal to have very slight bleeding during the initial preg time. As far as i know she should rest alot and should not lift any heavy items. Just try to be calm and things will go on smoothly. You have not said anything about cramping and so i assume that she does not have any. There is nothing to worry much. Iam second time pg now. My first pregnancy clicked after several years of trying and so i can understand how you two will be feeling emotionally. Talk to your doc or midwife if any doubts. Relax and pretty soon you are going to see your peanut in scan and then hold him/her. Iam so glad and happy for your wife to have a such a wonderful and caring husband. Soon you guys are going to be proud parents too! Good Luck!

Congrats on the news!! I spotted during the early stages of mine. As long as it doesn't get heavy she'll be ohk. Make sure she doesn't over do anything, and she should be fine. Keep us updated!!

~~Kris~~

Congratulations!
Apparently water from the bath doesn't enter the body that way so don't worry about 'swilling out' etc (just read it in my baby book). However, I don't think you are supposed to have the bath too hot for too long because your core temp can get too high. All sounds like implantation to me but you could always call the doctor if it gets worse.

Hiya

Spotting during the first trimester of pregnancy is perfectly normal - so long as it isn't heavy like a period...if it does get that way then inform your Dr.

Because the bath water is invariably warm it expands all your blood vessels, including those on the cervix. These little vessels are so packed full of blood at the best of time, but when the warmth is too high they burst causing a little more loss. Whereas this is normal and nothing to worry about, it is a good idea not to have too hot a bath as your wife's blood vessels will expand so much she could faint when getting out of the bath, dropping her blood pressure.

Take Care

Kieren

Thanks for the posts everyone!

The brown spotting is also including little bits of tissue now so we have booked an apointment at the local Early Pregnancy Unit @ Tameside Hospital.

Lets see what they say there.

Saw the Early Pregancy Unit today @ Tameside, they were really nice and that made things a little easier.

So they did a scan (internal and external) and they could see no real signs of pregnancy, but they did a blood test and that confirmed the pregnancy. But the levels were low, something like 300 so what they have said is to pop back in 2 days time and they will do another blood test to see if the levels are climbing or not.

So because of the lack of seeing anything on the scan it means the baby is in the *very* early stages of development or we have had a miscarriage. The if the levels in the blood have increased by monday then we are doing well but it they are going down it will be bad news.

So we are taking a cautious view and biting our nails till Monday!

Fingers crossed the levels will rise,

Will also be thinking of you

Lucy

preg.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member