A few weaning questions

moss

Reaction score
What criteria does a baby have to meet before being given a cup?

Also, I am planning on doing baby led weaning. I know it is still too early to give Jacob food and I am waiting for six months, but he is already very interested. He has started complaining A LOT when we eat. He reaches for our food, he stuffs anything he can into his mouth, drools, screams when we put something into ours... He really wants to eat. Is there anything I can do to help satisfy him while we eat? I want him to watch us so he learns...

I started on a cup at about 4 months I think, I am not aware that they have to meet any criteria, I just went for it. Mind you, she has only just started actually drinking out of it!

Could you try giving him toys to play with while you are eating so that he has something to distract him?

i have just tried to give jamie a cup today but he is more interested in hittig things with it x

You can give him a feeder cup but chances are he won't drink out of it for a fair while.

I'd give him some toys to keep him busy.

Don't forget, growth spurt time and all that and also he is just interested in everything, not just your food. He doesn't understand what it is yet, just that being a baby the most normal thing to do is shove everything you can get your hands on in your mouth regardless.

Galen was like this for a little while during his growth spurt and I never gave him any food. Just toys to play with and one of us would often distract him with them while the other ate. It passed and by 5 1/2 months we began careful early days of BLW.

I'm pleased we started BLW when we did but next time will wait till 6 months plus regardless. It was a real pain having to cook only veggies or offer limited fruits only for a few weeks till 6 months old. Once we hit 6 months we never looked back.

I started weaning ava a couple of weeks ago & give her water in a cup at every meal time.
It took her a day or 2 to get the hang of it but she drinks out of it fine now.

I ask about the cup because we got one in our Bookstart bag and let him hold it, along with other cups, and he always holds them and puts his mouth in the right place. I know he doesn't know what he is doing, but it made me wonder if I could try him with milk in the cup. It says from six months, though, which I thought was odd.

The way he behaves when we eat is completely different than any other time. He gets wiggly and excited the way he does when he hasn't seen one of us in a while, then very angry when we won't share. He screams at us every time we put something in our mouth. He only does this when it is something he can smell. He is definitely interested in copying us, but I definitely won't let him until he is at least 6 months. He will take a toy for a second, put it in his mouth and throw it away, and get angry again. Any other time he is in his chair, he will be happy to play with a toy we attach to it for any length of time.

Maybe we will just have to put up with it! :D

I think its mainly as they tend not to be able to suck from them as the shape is not like a bottle or a nipple. And its much harder.

We just give water to our LO in an open cup now. But we never gave any to him before 6 months really. And its only in the past few weeks he's wanted to really drink any. He couldn't get the hang of sucking from a feeder cup. Alien to him and he didn't like the spout thing.

I think its mainly as they tend not to be able to suck from them as the shape is not like a bottle or a nipple. And its much harder.

We just give water to our LO in an open cup now. But we never gave any to him before 6 months really. And its only in the past few weeks he's wanted to really drink any. He couldn't get the hang of sucking from a feeder cup. Alien to him and he didn't like the spout thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back