A Dilema.. What would you do? *update p.2*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Red_Fairy, Jan 18, 2008.

?

What would you do?

1. Stick at the new job, the benifits will soon make life easier.

2. Forget this job, family is more inportant now

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Red_Fairy

Red_Fairy Well-Known Member

gone

#1 Red_Fairy, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. mamichuli

mamichuli Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bit of a b****r hunny, I think maybe he should give it a chance, especially if it is such a great opportunity. At least for a bit. I remember that one of the issues when you found out you were prego again was money, so maybe it will mean that you can get ahead, dunno it's a big decision. Seems to me that there will always be time for him to give it up - worth a bit of a try, I think...

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Lisa

3. glitzyglamgirl

glitzyglamgirl Well-Known Member

hmm tricky one.

If he didn't take the job would he end up wondering "what if" for the rest of his life? It might be worth a shot, atleast that way you will both know he gave it his best and it didnt work out other than wondering.

My OH was in a similar position last year. He was offered his dream job working for Diesel, and we were both worried about the hours/money etc and knew he would be bringing a lot of work home with him and it would be very stressful for a while. He decided it was worth a shot as it could lead to bigger and better things even if it was going to be hard for a while.

He took the job, and after a month realised it wasnt for him, and thankfully was offered his old job back...but with a promotion and payrise!

He says now he doesnt regret it, but is glad he gave it a shot otherwise he would always wonder "what if".

4. kimmumof2

kimmumof2 Well-Known Member

hi, i think he should maybe try out the job to see if he likes it and if it does affect your family too much and you both feel that it disadvantages you as a family then he could always leave but this way it stops him regretting never giving it a go.

xxxx

5. Fluffy Bunny

Fluffy Bunny Well-Known Member

For me family everytime, I'd live off baked beans on toast (yum :D). It may be a dream job, but whats the point in that if you never get to see the ones you love, or watch your babba grow up?

Depends, do you work to live or live to work? :D

6. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

7. Babylicious

Babylicious Well-Known Member

family is way more important than money

8. Urchin

Urchin Well-Known Member

I voted family too. I've worked as a chef at a big fancy restaurant too and it does totally take over your life, the hours suck, and even if he did get more money when is he ever going to be able to enjoy it?
    It's true these jobs are not for people with family really, they will always be short staffed, always be calling him in to do more.

9. Mrs_Jay

Mrs_Jay Well-Known Member

im probably going to sound pretty selfish, but if it was me i wouldnt want him to do it. coz my hubby works as a chef now and work 10-10 , 5-6 days a week. and like you half the time i feel like im a single mum coz 90% of the time i have to do everything myself. and it does get very stressful. atm he looking for another job with less long hours. but at the end of the day everyones situation is different. but i wouldnt like it myself :hug: good luck in whatever you decide

10. Emmylou

Emmylou Well-Known Member

I've voted for family, and would everytime! :)

Sounds like you need him (in so many ways) more than he needs this job?!

11. trixipaws

trixipaws Well-Known Member

i voted family. imo time is more valueable than money. im not a career-oriented person tho

12. lauramumof2

lauramumof2 Well-Known Member

the kids will only be small for a wee while. :D

I said family by the way. And he has you to look after too.

13. Tillytots

Tillytots Well-Known Member

most definately family :)

14. leckershell

leckershell Well-Known Member

The chef who runs my cookery course said he regrets missing out on his childrens time when they were younger and even though now he's taken a back seat in his career, he can't get that time back.

That said though, I know if it was my OH I'd tell him to do it for a bit, see how it worked out and then could always change jobs again if it wasn't working. But my OH is stubborn like that so he'd probably take the job anyway, to prove something to himself..

I didn't vote because I can see both sides. I know I'd want my OH to be happy and I would probably leave the choice up to him of whether he prefers the money or his kids time. x

15. evemarie8

evemarie8 Well-Known Member

I havent voted for either because my advice would be for him to stick with it just while he applies for a job somewhere else he would like to work where he wouldn't have to work such terrible hours, he may be able to use the fact he currently works at such a sought after resturant as a stepping stone into another good job?

16. HappyAlice

HappyAlice Well-Known Member

I voted 'forget this job'. There are plenty of other ways of making money, other jobs. It sounds like you wouldn't have a life as a family at all. Family is more important than anything, time together.

17. Steelgoddess

Steelgoddess Well-Known Member

I have to agree, also psoriasis is REALLY sore he would be miserable, I guess I could understand maybe if it was alot more money straight away but it sounds a bit nightmarish to me....

I hope you're ok and get the support u need for PND hon :hug: :hug:

xx

18. roxanne080

roxanne080 Well-Known Member

cant he take this job until he finds something better??

19. Red_Fairy

Red_Fairy Well-Known Member

Thanks EVERYONE for your replys!!!!!!

update: He's left. Not really personal choice, but this morning the boss chef had a real go at him for being told to get 'propper' boots. O/H tried to argue back saying how could he have got the chance to get new boots when he's been in work the whole 'shop opening' time. Then the boss went crazy and said he had to shave. (he hadnt shaved that morning) (right there and then in front of other staff) :shock: :shock: Then the boss spotted his hands when he was on the grill (when he's around heat his hands go bright red) and he spotted the dermitious. Told him to get out there and then :(
    The other chefs approached O/H before he left and said he could still work there, but he needs to show he wants to by argueing with the boss (apparently the boss does this to make the 'weak' ones leave) but my O/H/ said he just didnt have any fight in him. And new maybe he wasnt cut out ofr it anyway.
    He's really depressed. But im so proud of him anyway, and it has probably worked out for the best. Id hate to work for an arse like that anyway! :evil:
    He has another job lined up anyway, so we'll be fine. :D

20. Mrs_Jay

Mrs_Jay Well-Known Member

:hug: his boss does sound like a rignt arse, almost as bad as my hubby boss :roll: . but glad hes got another job lined up already :)