7 month jars with lumps!

Lou

Reaction score
Hey

Isaac is 7 months old next week and he still can't swallow lumps without gagging and throwing up. He has jars and the 4 to 6 month ones are puree but I bought a few 7 month ones and they have little lumps in but Isaac just can't eat them. He doesn't have any finger foods yet because I'm scared he will gag and choke. The HV (here we go :roll: ) told me that babies can't swallow puree with lumps in so it has to be one or the other, puree or lumps, but if this was the case then nobody would buy the 7 month jars!?!

Anyone else having the same problem or know what I can do other than wait and keep trying until he doesn't gag and throw up?

Lou :)

hey B did the ame thing so i made him home made food and slowely made the lumps bigger it took about a week till he could eat 7 month jars

I'm having this problem at the minute, she was choking on the 7 month jars. I have been and bought some of the 7 month boxes of powerded food and its much better, the lumps are a lot smaller and she fine with them. I think they are better for getting them to chew than the big lumps in the jars. Shes getting better now and even ate some copped up pasta with us tonight. :D

Hiya, my reply has no relevance to 7months jars, but Bex is 5 months old and I have the same probs with certain pureed jars - cauliflower cheese, when I give her it she gags and it looks like she is choking. I panic. Dreading the 7 month jars. Good luck and keep us posted on what works cause i will need help too! :wall:

Hi Lou I had the same problem with Kaiden at first, hes 5 months but he eats lumpy food now, I dont use the jars though, I taught Kaiden to chew with his wee gums he used to sit with the lumpy food in his mouth and I sast infront of him and opened and closed my mouth and he started copying me and now he eats the lupy stuff with no problems, I suppose all you can do is keep on trying him with it, but try and introduce finger food as it help them to learn to chew and while the continue to chew some bits go down their throat and the finger food takes their mind off the feeling of the lumpy bits going down and they stop the gagging thing XkelX

Hi hun when my little ones first went on 7 month jars i used to just mash it with a fork a little bit just to get them used to it gradually :D xx

Ella doesn't have any probs with lumpy food, which is good cos my rice pudding is WELL congealed :lol:

Personally I think if you just tried him with finger foods (like rice cakes which melt down really gooey) then he will get used to chewing and will be able to manage lumpy foods. Just a thought :)

i used to give Dior rusks to sit and suck on to get her used to finger foods

I was the same, I just mashed them and then done it less and less till eventually she was fine with it. I dont know that it was so much she couldnt as just didnt like the change in consistency so when it was gradual it was okay.

I have used finger foods and Seren is happy eating foods with lumps in. I know you are nervous about them but they really are the best way to introduce textures. If they are not ready for lumps they have difficulty moving the food to the back of their throat, and if you are spoonfeeding lumps this over rides that and puts the lumps at the back of their mouths so they tend to gag more.

Good luck with it :D

I agree with Beanie, Rubie eats finger foods a lot better than puree, she tends to just spit the puree out whereas if I give her a rice cake or something, she will happily munch it all :D

Phoebe is over 7mths now and can't eat the jars with lumps.

Thing is they're too small for them to chew but too big to swallow whole.

I've gone back to the jars for 4mths plus.

Also making a lot of my own food but not pureeing it properly on purpose and she seems to cope ok with that.

Hi and thanks for all your replies :)

Just got back from Peppercorn VW weekend in Kent so not got much time tonight...got to unpack and put washing on :dance:

Before we left to go away Jarrod went to tesco's to get a few bits and he got Isaac some jars of food. I have only seen 4-6 month onwards then 7 months jars etc but Jar got some 6 month jars. They are hipp organic and the ones he got were penne with tomato and mozerella (I think) and they had little lumps in them. I tried Isaac with some and he ate the whole lot no problem! He also started sucking from his beaker this weekend no problem and he has cut another bottom tooth! Oh and we put him to bed in the camper van last night at 9pm and we had to wake him up at 9:30am!!!! We think the fresh air knocks him out!

Anyway I'm off to tesco's tomorrow to see what other 6 month jars I can get with little lumps in. And I'm also going to mash up the lumps in the 7 month jars like some of you said to do because I have bought some really cool flavours I want to let him taste. The creamy curry one should get a good reaction I hope. Camera at the ready for that lol

Thanks again

Lou :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back