HELP, really need help

rhian85

Reaction score
christopher is 10months but he wont eat lumps or finger food he has a go at but he gags so much on the lumps in jars/fingerfoods that he panics then makes him self gag even more which has sometgimes made him sick. so now once he gags he just clamps his mouth shut and refuses - poor mite .

i have been pureeing stage two jars but i dont want to keep blending as i want to get him on track, i have tried mashign most of the lumps up rather than pureeing it all but ho he still gags so much he panics and is either sick or starts chocking...

si at my wits end, please help what do i do..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Will he not take any finger foods like toast or something?

They do say to let them gag as it helps develop there reflex muscles... but obvioulsy not if he is choaking or sick.

Have you spoke to your HV?

luke gags if he is in his high chair or bouncer i tend to make sure he is really up right like on our sofa and when we eat just give him a triangle of toast or a rice cake with philidelphia or a stick of cheese and try to let him get on with it unless he chokes obviously, i think its practice as he used to choke quite abit but he really has got the hang of it now.

my top tip is keep them as upright as possible, and put the food in2 his hand so he puts it in his mouth and then he can control it more. sorry i can't be more helpful just literally started luke on finger food.

christopher is 10months but he wont eat lumps or finger food he has a go at but he gags so much on the lumps in jars/fingerfoods that he panics then makes him self gag even more which has sometgimes made him sick. so now once he gags he just clamps his mouth shut and refuses - poor mite .

i have been pureeing stage two jars but i dont want to keep blending as i want to get him on track, i have tried mashign most of the lumps up rather than pureeing it all but ho he still gags so much he panics and is either sick or starts chocking...

si at my wits end, please help what do i do..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Will he not take any finger foods like toast or something?

They do say to let them gag as it helps develop there reflex muscles... but obvioulsy not if he is choaking or sick.

Have you spoke to your HV?

luke gags if he is in his high chair or bouncer i tend to make sure he is really up right like on our sofa and when we eat just give him a triangle of toast or a rice cake with philidelphia or a stick of cheese and try to let him get on with it unless he chokes obviously, i think its practice as he used to choke quite abit but he really has got the hang of it now.

my top tip is keep them as upright as possible, and put the food in2 his hand so he puts it in his mouth and then he can control it more. sorry i can't be more helpful just literally started luke on finger food.

Hi

Kiar did this as well somtimes but she never refused it just kept trying lol
ide say just make sure he is upright and keep trying it hes bound to get it sooner or later . I know its scary when they gag and start to choke though . :hug: sorry i aint much help

thanks all,

im not sure if it is connected but he had silent reflux as a baby so he has always been funny with food. we are seeing another consultant next week because he was admitted to hospital 2 weeks ago as he turned yellow and very lathargic thankfully it was not jaundice but he did have a raised liver function but that is now back to normal.

however that is now normal again, they think he may have coealiac (SP) as he has never really gained much weight and it would explain all the tirednesss ets. but would any of this be connected to the sever gagging.

i tried him with mashed stage 2 jars last night rather than pureing them but the tiniest lump made him gag so much that he was coughing and chocking and he was sick......oh i dont know what to do :cry: :cry: :cry:

HI

aww hun i hope you can figure somthing out as long as hes eating somthing though dont worry too much :hug:

Does he like the flavours of the foods? I know nothing about LO's having solids/pureed foods, but could flavour play a part? Also could he not have soup? What about pureed fruit made into ice lollies, does he like lollies? Hope things feel better for you soon :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back