6 Weeks on - here's my baby's birth story

Colourmeblue

Reaction score
My little baby girl was born at 12.17 on 13/06/2013. Taken me a little while to sit down and write this - but here it goes.... (apologies for the long post)

At 2.30am on 13/06, I woke up for my usual 2 hour pee session, and i noticed cramping. Didnt think anything of it as i had had this for about the past 2 weeks and always panicked that it was labour, and nothing came off it, so i went back to bed. Couldnt get to sleep though, as the pains kept coming. So started timing them and they were 8 minutes apart and lasting about a minute or so at a time. By 3.30 I woke up OH and told him that this is it, but that we should get back to sleep as it could take a while. Called labour ward, just to let them know that my labour had started, and they told me to call back once pains were 5 minutes apart. Well, half an hour later, they were 5 minutes apart, so i called them back and they tole me to go in!!!! Everyone was up (OH and my 10 year old daughter), all excited. Called my parents (as OH doesnt drive, so we needed a lift to hospital). They arrived within 5 minutes!!!! Everyone was on superspeed and panicking, and i was the calm one!!! I made sure I had bags and that everything was packed, and in between all this, id be on my hands and knees on the sofa, riding out the now more painful contractions.

I spent the car ride on my hands and knees on the back seat.

Was sure id be at least 3cm when they checked me, but once they had me strapped up to monitor, and checked my cervix i was only 1cm. I was gutted and felt like a wuss. All that pain and only 1cm. I thought they would send me home for sure, but babies heartrate was slowing with each contraction, so they told me id have to stay in until i delivered. They kept an eye on baby and had docs in and out, and thankfully her heart rate returned to normal.

By 5.30am the pains were getting really a lot worse, and i didnt feel i could continue without drugs. So MW said she would check how much further along i was and then i could start on gas and air. I was sure by this time i must have been 3 or 4cm, but again i was still only 1cm. By this point i started to panic a little and my confidence was weaning. MW said i could start on G&A, but she was a little worried if i started on it now, how i would cope at 3/4cm. I knew she was right, so i tried to ride it out a little longer without any pain relief, but another half hour later, i just couldnt take anymore, i was breathing through them and feeling like i was gonna pass out. i asked for the G&A. So the G&A made me giggle. I could still feel the pain, but for a short while i couldnt give a shit! lol.

I thought G&A would be amazing, like it was last time (10 years ago, with my daughter), but this time it just didnt seem to do much. Then it bloody ran out, and they took ages to bring me a refill. i was breathing through them, and crying at the same time. At about 8.30, they said they were gonna move me to a bigger delivery suite. The room was great, massive, with a big bathroom to boot. And they brought me the G&A. The pains were getting more and more intense, but i was managing with the G&A and the bouncy ball.

I guess by about 10am (cant remember exact time), MW checked again, and i was only 3cm!! i wanted to just cry, well actually i did. i cried and cried and asked them why i wasnt dilating. They were being reasurring and telling me i was doing great, but i didnt feel like i was doing great. I got back on my ball, and in between the crying and the G&A (by this point i was flying high in the sky! lol), i thought I felt baby was ready to come. I was so high but i was telling myself that i had to tell them. So i got the G&A out of my mouth for a second and then screamed, baby is ready. Oh my, did the midwives rush into the room. They got me up on the bed to check, and then more bad news, only 4cm. i completely broke down at this point. i was crying and asking why it was taking so long, and why did i feel like baby was ready to come. MW were reassuring me and telling me that my cervix was realy soft and that it would all now progress realy quickly. OH and mum were trying to calm me down.

The rest is a blur. I think i remained on the bed from that point, and i progressed from 4 to 9cm really really quickly. Time seemed stuck at 10.30am. i was delirious, and eventually begged for an epidural, which is the one thing i told my OH and mum that i DID NOT want. I actually had pre warned OH that I would beg for it, but under no circumstances should he let me have it. So of course, OH and mum were both adamant that they shouldnt give it to me, but i was adamant that they should. I actually turned to MW at one point and screamed at her 'Give it to me now!!!'. We eventually settled on pethidine. The pain was abolutely stupid by this point. I remember thinking that it wasnt humanly possible for anyone to be able to bear this amount of pain without dying. i begged them to not let me die, i constantly had imaging of my daughter and was so scared that id die and she would be motherless. MW reassured me, with a smile, that i was not going to die. Then a little while after this, believe it or not, the pain got even worse, and this time i wanted to die. I was screaming and chucking stuff, mainly the G&A (think i hit mum at one point, then slapped the MW - omg, so ashamed!!), and telling them to just kill me, that i just wanted to die, that they should save the baby, and look after my 10 year old, and just let me die.

I could see the MW's getting babys clothes ready and telling my mum and OH that baby would be here very soon, and i was thinking...what??? - im only 4cm. But from then it all progressed very quickly.

Once i was at 9cm, the urge to push was overwhelming, but MW's were telling me to hold out. That i was only 9cm and not to push yet. I listened somehow and pulled in instead of push! God knows how.

Got to 10cm pretty quick. It felt like nothing iv ever felt before (even though i had a baby 10 years ago). This time felt a lot more intense, and baby felt a lot bigger. Honestly though, i think 2 or 3 pushes and she was out. Before i knew it, baby was on my chest, all purple and so beautiful.

As awful as it felt at the time, it was the most amazing experience of my life (along with having my first baby).

Beautiful baby girl born at 12.17 weighing 7lb 11ounces. Am so in love with her, id do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Wow!!! I've got tears in my eyes reading this...so emotional!! xx

Aww bless u hun you did so well! Congratulations! X

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations. You actually slapped the MW - LOL!!!

Aww bless u thank you for your honesty in your account its lovely to read though I do hope I don't attack my mw or husband lol x

Sorry - yes i was brutally honest lol, but all that pain was totally worth it!! Just to add - no tears and no stitches!!! Healed really quick after labour - i was expecting to be in pain for at least a week after, but i just felt almost normal - it was great. Oh, and waters breaking was such a funny sensation. It happened when the midwife was checking how dilated i was, and i thought 'oh God i'm weeing on the midwife, cos i felt a warm trickle. Then it started gushing, and i realised it was my waters! lol x

Oh wow! I'm slightly traumatised by the pain so can totally sympathise with you on that front although my labour wasn't as long as yours! Congrats though - it really is worth it! Xx

sorry you had such a tough time but you seem to bounce off it and recover really well xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back