4th C Section - is it possible?

Laura_C

Reaction score
As most of you know I have had to have all my babies by C section, not through choice, well the last was was elective and not an emergency but there was an obvious medical need for the last one.

After my last section 4 months ago, the surgeon asked if I wanted anymore children - at that point I was happy to have my little girl here safe after previous experience so my head was all over the place. He asked me this whilst on the operating table getting stitched up!! At that time I briefly asked why and he told me that my womb was extremely thin and was difficult to repair but he managed it - just. He said there had been no muscle supporting baby towards the end and it was luckily I didn't go into labour before the planned section. His advise was not to have anymore as any further surgery could be even more risky for me let alone baby. Was he just trying to put me off a 4th section?

I would love eventually to have another, at first I didn't think so but there is a part of me that knows I will probably be broody in a few years time. If I was well and delivery wasnt a problem I'd probably try in another year but I know that would be silly.

I got another opinion before I was discharged as the doc came to see me once I was settled on the ward. He said it certainly isn't impossible for me to have anymore children, just much more risky. He advised a wait of a least 2-3 years to recover. Although with the caveat that I would have to deliver baby at the latest by 38 weeks if not before and I would need to be monitored very closely. This has scared me a great deal an although I have no desire for another baby yet I may do!

Has anyone had such an experience, you views would be greatly received... :)

I just wanted to add, that after losing a baby already I just don't know if I would be stupid to put me and a baby at risk. I couldn't cope of I lost a child again and it was because I'd put us at risk by going ahead.

I can't help I'm afraid but I'm interested as I've had one section I've heard somewhere they don't advise more than 3 but I can't guarantee that. Can you not make an appt with a consultant to discuss your situation?

If it was me I'd book an appointment with a consultant. They'll be able to look through your notes with you and give you some advice. Victoria Beckham did it so it's not impossible. I also think jj mum had has 4 sections so she might see this and post.

I imagine they'd want to monitor you more closely and like you say, give you an early section. I guess if they were really really against you having another they might have suggested sterilisation during your last section as even if you don't plan a 4th pregnancy it might just happen!

I'm only planning to have one more though purely because i wouldn't want to put my body under stress after the one section (even though I'll go for a vbac next time). But I've spoken to others who've had a section and they're planning on having 3 or more and planning elective sections.

That's what I thought, that if it was an absolute no no surely they would of advised sterilisation because like you say I could fall pregnant accidentally - both my girls have been surprises!! I think that's what's worrying me tbh. What if I fell preg again unexpectedly and what would happen?!

It's funny you mention Victoria Beckham because the consultant compared me with her and said that she has just had her 4th so it isn't impossible, but he made it clear she had a large age gap after her third baby probably for the very same reason.

I think I'll give it a year and then if I'm still considering it then I'll make an appt. At the moment it not on the cards but it's just you don't know what's around the corner. I look at what happened to Amanda Holden and see though that it can happen to anyone really, they explained to me that they struggle with bleeding usually after a 3rd section. Sometimes they can't control it. I don't think I really want to put my body through a 4th pregnancy tbh, that's how I feel atm. My OH doesn't really want another, but that due to being frightened of what could happen. I know he would have another if I didn't have to go through so much. X

I think they would have said so if it was a definite no go, dont forget Victoria beckham has had 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back