3rd degree tear and pph 1st baby

steffy

Reaction score
Just after anyone's experience regarding either of these. I had a 3.5 hour labour and it resulted in a 3rd degree tear and a haemorrhage. I spent a few hour in theatre gettig repaired and was told I would possibly need a c section next time or a controlled labour in hospital as they wouldn't want me giving birth on the way if I went into natural labour. My local hospital has been downgraded now so we chose a different hospital which is just in a different county. Apparently their policy is not to see a woman following a 3rd degree tear in her next pregnancy. Seems madness to me that policy is different just 20 miles difference. My midwife who cared for me before and after has got me an appointment based on psychological needs as she thinks I need to be seen as the complications are much more severe if you I onto have a 3rd degree tear.
Has anyone seen as consultant regarding a previous 3rd degree tear? what was their opinion? x

Hi Hun, I had a 3rd degree tear with my first and I'm under a consultant and I've been offered either a c section or an induction at 37 weeks, My lo was 7.13lb at 38.5 so not that small.

How big was your lo?

Do you want a section?

They would definitely give you one if you requested it.

I'm having a scan at 36 weeks to check baby's size.

Xx

Hey maybe! I'm not sure I want a section but then the fear of incontinence concerns me more than having a section! I know I am witching my rights under the NICE guidelines to request a section with no medical reason and if they won't do it they have to refer me to someone who will. And I think I have a reason, but an early induction would ease me a but, from the haemorrhage point as at least I would be in hospital not on my way. Abi was 9lb 9oz, no reason why, I never measured big or anything! I'm just going to go in with a clear head, say I would rather an early induction but if not I am prepared to request a section. I don't think people understand how painful it is and sometimes still is xx

Gosh I find it hard to believe you're not getting better treatment.

My friend is my midwife but it's not that I'm getting special treatment from my consultant because of that, when my 6 week post partum check I had a different consultant check my scars and she said too that I'd be offered a section or early induction for a smaller baby.

I think you need to speak to your midwife, be a bit assertive and request a few things..

1. A consultant appointment, at the end of the day only a consultant can authorise either early induction or a section.

2. A 36 week growth scan to see how big baby is.

3. If she says no, complain to a senior midwife.

I'm with my midwife friend tomorrow so I'll ask her advice too.

Where in the UK are you?

xx

I have an appointment on 10th June now based on psychological fear following previous experience. It was the way my midwife played it so I could get an appointment. I find it funny I have the appointment in less that 2 weeks though so wondering if someone has messed up! I going to write everything down before I go and have done NICE guidelines handy with me! I live in lincolnshire, but due to the downgrades I am going to Peterborough Hospital (about 23 miles from my house). Apparently if I was going to the biggest Lincolnshire hospital (further from my house) policy is very different and I would have seen a consultant at 16 weeks! My midwife has also arranged for me to see our local senior midwife who can request my notes and go through what happened with me as to be honest when I passed out after I had her it was all a blur for a while. Hopefully I will get some answers at my consultant appointment, but if not I shall be transferring my care to another hospital where policy is different xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back