38 weeks and not yet engaged :O(

X5OT

Reaction score
When should I expect that this baby will start to engage? It's our first baby, and it has been head down, spine on the left side, for about 9 weeks now. Saw our consultant again today and he said the head is definitely not yet engaged :O(

Was also wondering if the head needs to be engaged for me to go into labour, and how quickly they usually engage (ie can it happen within a few days, or are we talking about weeks??)

Thanks in advance

I've heard before that some babies heads don't engage until your in labour :)

millie started to engage around 36/37 weeks but ryan didnt engage until i was pushing

I've just been to see my midwife today and she told me that my LO is 3/5 engaged. This happened about a week ago at 36 weeks pregnant. You might be able to tell if s/he engages cos you may have a pain really low down in your pelvis like an intense period pain (my midwife told me that this pain I had last week was the baby engaging).

You will also notice that your bump is lower down. If this is your first baby, s/he should engage a few weeks before labour but following babies may not engage until labour begins. However, everyone is different so please try not to worry. Just use the time you have got now to spend some time with friends and family cos once baby comes, your LO will need your full attention.

Take care hunny xx

I saw my midwife yesterday and she told me that my baby was brim. I was told not to worry too much about the head engaging.

I have also heard that some babies don't engage until during labour. xxx

Thanks for the replies all - am feeling more positive now. Thought I was in for a very very long wait!

Tia didn't start to engage until I was in labour... but this baby apparently she's really low down.... and on the brink... I've been getting those sharp period pains in my pelvis, especially when she uses my lungs by pushing on them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back