3 years old and still not eating his food... help

violet-glow

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but im coming to the end of the road with Zack. Every night we always sit down to eat our meal and every night Zack doesnt eat it, just sits there. I have tried every meal and everything... even telling him id give him sweets afterwards... but nope he wont eat.

Breakfast time I alsways make him it and tried aloads of different breakfast... he does eat it but it takes him up to an hour to eat it... sometime 2 hours!! :shock:

I rang HV who came round and basicly told me that he was very advanced for his age... e.g with speech etc and that I should make him food and after a 30 mins throw it in the bin so he goes without food, if he doesnt eat it. So I tried this and no joy... if I kept that up he'd starve... stupid blumming HV (how they can be in a job like that without any kids of their own is beyhond (sp??) me :x

Have you tried asking him what he wants to eat?
Thats all i can think of sorry :hug:

Yes but when I make it he throws a strop and telling me he didnt ask for it :?

Think i might phone HV again and have a moan to her, you would think she would be more helpful, than just telling me to throw his food away :(

hi hun i dont know if it will work but i draw on hannahs hand every time she eats something and let her draw on my hand too, its such a mess but i would stand on my head if she eat, i have also tried stickers but not with as much success

I've no experience to share, sorry, but do know of someone with similar issues if its OK to post it.
My best friends little boy wouldn't eat when he was younger, but he was full of energy and very alert, and the GP never seemed concerned for him, a child will eat when they are hungry if food is there, and so rather than a 'routine' of meal times, maybe don;t cook anything and when he asks for something let him have it, worked for my friend, and also take him shoping with you ad get him touching and looking at food, veg and fruit, if he feels more involved with the food from point of sale, he may be more proud of eating it.
Very best wishes, I hope you're feeling OK :hug:

I've heard many times that a child will never starve themselves to death. If it were me I'd follow the advice of offering food and then binning it after a set amount of time, don't offer anything else. When DD was going through a patch of not eating well we'd near enough offer everything else in the fridge, but it didn't help. Now we all sit down with the same meal, if she starts fussing then I ignore her and she will then eat it fine. Your DS has gotten used to getting a reaction from you so do you think he's using the fact that he wont eat against you? I know DD would happily scoff goodies snacks but refuse meals....then I got wise to this and stopped the snacks!! :twisted:

Aww hun, sorry you are having such a hard time - it's is so frustrating when they wont eat, I know! :hug: Having said that, I have to agree with Hv and Kina, no kid will deliberately starve themselves! Set period of time, if they dont eat, in the bin and start again at the next meal. I suggest no fuss, if he doesnt want to eat, dont force, just remind him there is nothing else until the next meal (you have to stay strong on this issue, if you give in to him when he says hes hungry, you're lost). When he finds out you really mean it, he will start to eat. then you can be really encouraging and congratulate him. When he finds out that he gets attention when he DOES eat, he will respond to that. The trick is really to stay strong and not let it get to you. Easy to say, I know, but it does work. I think the important thing to remember is that you have to keep it up, it will take anything up to a couple of weeks for it to really start to work. Sounds cruel, but it is for his own good...
Hope this helps

Lisa

i agree with mamichuli. my 3 year old girl faffs around every meal time. might take an hour to eat small bowl of cereal etc. she just doesn't seem into food at all. she seems to prefer eating little and often, picking at stuff all through the day. she's a skinny wee thing and i'd love her to eat up a bit more. do try any new way of doing things for two weeks to give it a good chance of working. :hug:

Thanks for your replys. I havent given him sweets in months, I was hoping that he would try and urn (cant spell) them, but that hasnt worked. I resorting to throwing his food away again at the moment. :?

I know it's really frustrating, I'm sure he'll get better with his eating soon though. Good luck :)

Im going through the same. The doc assures me its okay and I took heart from a article I read that said 'no baby has ever starved themselves ill'.

I dont get annoyed or react. I sit it down and if she eats it she gets praise but if she doesnt then thats fine. I dont think what your health visitor said is far off the mark.

I wouldnt promise sweets though, then they have the upper hand. Im far more relaxed now and you like me have a wee one to feed as well si there just isnt time for endless pandering at meal times.

Chill, dont react and soon the game will be up.

Laura.x

hey violet,
i dont really have any expercience of this, and I think what the other girls have said is a good way forward.
Also just wanted to add, have you tried asking him to help you cook meals with you? he can be mummys little chef helper, maybe that way he would be more intreseted in the food if he has helped you to make it.
Sorry if that suggestions crap, i hope you get things sorted with Zach soon hun :hug: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back