Will not eat finger food!

clairebear22

Reaction score
Hiya!

Does anybody else have a little one Jack's age that won't eat any kind of finger food?!

He has tried cheese, cucmber & a biscotti in the past but he's licked it and thrown it on the floor. He's a fab eater of his 3 meals a day and I always offer him finger food of some kind with each meal each meal but he just takes it from me, pulls a face and chucks it on the floor!! I've tried finger foods before a meal, during a meal and after a meal and it makes no difference!

I'm at a loss as to how to get him to start eating it or do I just keep offering him things and he'll eventually start eating by himself?

Any ideas? x

didn't wanna read and run, but no advise apart form keep offering? maybe try separate to his meals and offer as snacks? we did blw so I don't really know hon, must be a tricky one x

It's very frustrating lol. I've tried offering him things when he's sitting playing or when he's in his baby walker and still no luck!! Guess i'll just be wasting alot of food until he gets there! x

what about toast? not the healthiest but i've never seen a baby not like it? could be a start? Emma's favourite are peaches, nectarines, pear actually anything fruity and ooops while i wasn't looking a bit of shortbread!

I cut a finger of my toast off forhim every morning and have done since he started weaning! We've tried, plain, butter, marmite (sucked it once and never since) and jam. He takes it, licks it and chucks it! I guess i'll just have to keep persevering and hope that he starts eating things soon x

we ahve been following the annabel karmel cookbook - i know that she does a finger foods one as well - you could maybe stand in waterstones and have a read of it to try and get some ideas from that?

Hey chick,
Why don't you try just offering finger foods at lunch time. I feed LO his breakfast and tea but have always let him fed himself at lunch time. Cheese on toast, sandwiches, fruit, omelets (not sure if babies of 7 months can have egg mind, someone will confirm I'm sure), rice cakes, try anything its worth a go :) xxxx

Thanks Don-Don but I really don't think he'd eat any of it! I think he'll just play with whatever is on his highchair tray until it falls off onto the floor like he does every other time. It's frustrating but I guess he's just going to take his time learning to eat himself. Thanks for all you help ladies! x

Food before one is just for fun :) turn it into a game let him play with finger food if he doesn't eat it he's still llearning about new textures and smells :) x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Yeah i agree with elfs mummy...

My lo always used to play with his food, stick it on his head, in his ear, throw it on the floor lol

And thats the exact attitude i've decided to adopt with him. He eats 3 good meals a day so who cares if he doesn't eat a slice of apple or cucumber, he'll do it when he's good and ready, in the mean time i'll continue to offer him finger foods. Cheers girls! :) x

Claire, could you maybe only give finger foods at lunch, no purees? He may throw and chuck
And Go Nowhere near his Mouth first few times, but if he knows he's not Going to get purée he may learn?? sorry I
Don't have better advice :) x

Id just keep offering it, maybe more inbetween meals as snacks, my lo was about 9montha before he actually ate his finger food! Now hes a pro!

Amy that makes me happy to know your little one did it later too!! I think I put to much pressure on him and myself because of my job. Maybe I think everyone thinks I should have a 'perfect' child when I should just realise Jack is perfect for us and shouldn't care what others think! I think i've learned a valuable lesson today I think if Jack could talk he'd probably say .... chill out Mummy! lol

Hopefulmummy I could't do just finger food knowing he wouldn't eat it and then be starving! Plus milk doesn't satisfy him. Part of the reason I didn't do BLW x

Yeah honestly dont worry! I was worried that he wasnt eating with cutlery, then tonight after weeks and months of him throwing his fork off the highchair he stabbed some pasta with it and in to his mouth it went!!! He will get there in his own time. Xoxo

Have you tried letting him eat the puree himself? Letting him play with it put his hands in it etc , even if you just tipprd some on his tray . It may help

Tried it hun, he'll suck on the spoon after i've finished feeding him but if he can see that it's loaded up with food he'll take it and drop it!! We also put whatever we're having on his tray at dinner time for him to explore. Last night was mashed potato, he likes to play in food and make a mess but WILL NOT put any in his mouth!! He'll do it in his own time I guess :)

Even this morning we came upstairs as OH came out of the kitchen eating a slice of toast, Jack grabbed it from him and then realised what it was a dropped it on the floor! lol x

i wouldn't worry, i have had a look at what he eats in a day and am jealous!! am sure he will learn to chew etc when you start making his mash more lumpy!

Lol thanks hun, he does love his grub! He's just starting to get the hang of lumpier food and so far spag bol has been a hit! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back