3 plus Protein in Water, what does it mean???

Chelle

Reaction score
I went to the doctors today as I have been feeling really run down with tiredness and morning sickness and to top it off a cold (How annoying!). They took a blood test and a urine test. The nurse said that there was 3 plus protein in my urine sample, and she would send it away for further testing. Does anybody know what this might mean or has anyone else experienced this??? I'm in my 8th week of pregnancy, and I feel quite worried about it. Thanks xx

It can be a sign of possible infection, a UTI. Don't panic yet ok :) Chances are that is what it is indicating and can be treated by your GP easily enough.

Blurb says

Many doctors routinely order urine cultures on their pregnant patients. This is to test for any type of bacteria that may cause an infection. Urinary tract infections are common in pregnancy and frequently cause symptoms that require pregnant women to seek treatment. Bacteria may also be present in the urine without causing any noticeable symptoms.

Also this blurb about it, and possible reasons for it later on in your pregnancy along with other symptoms.

Although small amounts of protein are normally present in the urine, high levels may indicate infection of the bladder and kidneys. Excess protein in your urine can be a sign of a urinary tract infection as well as kidney damage or certain other disorders.

Later in your pregnancy, it can also be a sign of preeclampsia if it's accompanied by high blood pressure. If you have protein in your urine but your blood pressure is normal, your sample will be sent to the lab for a culture to see if you have a UTI.

Hello Chelle! You've been quiet!! Lurking in the background ay?!

Anyway, I don't have a clue but wanted to say hello :wave: and I hope you feel better soon you poor thing :hug:

xxx

Thanks so much for the information Sherlock. :D It was really helpful and has calmed me down a bit. I will wait for the results to come back and see what it is. I did panic when they said it, and the nurse didn't really explain much about it and just said to wait for the results which made me panic more :shock:
Fingers crossed it's nothing serious and the tests some back ok Thanks again xx

dannii87 said:
Hello Chelle! You've been quiet!! Lurking in the background ay?!

Hey Dannii :wave: Hope you are ok. I have not been on the internet much recently as have been sleeping at every given opportunity :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: This is the latest I have been up in ages!! No more late night partying for me :doh:

Speak soon and take care xx

i think its a quite common, and easily treated infection. but they do like to be sure, so you may be all worried for nothing. just stay calm :hug:

Chelle said:
Thanks so much for the information Sherlock. :D It was really helpful and has calmed me down a bit. I will wait for the results to come back and see what it is. I did panic when they said it, and the nurse didn't really explain much about it and just said to wait for the results which made me panic more :shock:

No problem, happy to help :)

If you are ever unsure about what it is they are doing, stick to your guns and ask them to explain properly and clarify things for you. Saves so much worry if you walk out of the appointment understanding what it is they are doing and why.

If your MW can't give you a decent explanation that you understand, or seems unwilling, don't worry, just say you don't quite understand and ask for it to be explained again :)

I've done this a fair few times not just with PG related things. Its much less stressful when the professionals explain things well. I figure its my health and body, I want to be told and understand thank you :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back