• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

20 week scan tomorrow to find out or not....

baby2012lp

Reaction score
I'm still umming and arrring, what's best, to know the sex or not, did you find out? Are you going to find out? Why?

It is a personal choice, although rest assured people will tell you what you 'should' do.

For us, we didn't find out for a few reasons; we don't know whats in there anyway and so because this is our first, other than buying sex specific clothes and reducing our name choices by 50% it didn't really matter. There is always a 'chance' that the sonographer may get it wrong but most of all we want the surprise at the end.

Whats best you ask? Whatever you like. Have a great time at your scan and whatever you decide to do enjoy it!

x

i had to know x

Same!
I actually hated not knowing! It really didn't matter whether it was a boy or girl either, I just really wanted to know.
I absolutely adore buying gender specific clothes and calling her by her name before she's born.

I couldn't have gone the whole 40wks not knowing lol x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

It really is personal choice we decided not to find out and personally I'm so glad we didn't, I love guessing and everyone else wandering etc.. I can't wait for OH to tell me if we have a little boy or a little girl and o can't wait to announce it to the family etc.

I can also completely see the benefits to finding out though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Neutral baby clothes and nursery stuff does nothing for me, I find it quite boring tbh.
It's exciting enough meeting your new baby, finding out the sex beforehand takes nothing away from that.
It's up to you x

I've been adamant I wont find out, OH initially would have liked to know.

I had a few reasons. I do think this is one of life's true great surprises and I want the fact I don't know to spur me on in labour.

I also think it keeps things more interesting for friends and family? I have been much more excited about labours when I haven't known the gender!! I know that sounds bad but it's true.....

Also we have 4 nephews, 2 nieces and one more on the way - all team yellow - so it's kind of tradition

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks for the input ladies I really cannot decide, because it's my first I want to know everything so I am quite sure that this time tomorrow we will know :)

I also had to know, like you Its my first and I want to know everything. Also I was 110% sure I was having a girl and it's actually a boy. Had I held onto the notion of a girl for 40wks I would prob be slightly disappointed, I would love then whatever flavour, unconditionally but I might have struggled at first. So for me, I had to know xx

P.s good lick got tomorrow. Look forward to hearing your news either way x

We're team yellow...purely for the suprise at the end. I love surprises and like Nat I hope it spurs me on when pushing, famous last words lol

I suppose the benefits of knowing before are buying clothes and bonding. Completly up to you so good luck :)

xx

Like the girlies say it's def personal choice!

I was adamant we were neutral until the night before! But we discovered next had brought out a fab range of colours for either sex, bright reds, blues, yellow, green, orange, stripes, stars, elephants! so we stayed team neutral!

Other than that too many girls have told me they had the opposite of what they were told, that's my nightmare, getting used to a name and sex then it's compleley the opposite!

But at the end of the day it's ur choice and if u feel knowing will be the best option for u don't let anyone tell u otherwise! X

We were undecided up until the day too. First I wanted to know and hubby didn't then we both changed our minds! In the end we asked the lady to write it down and put it in a sealed envelope in case we wanted to look later.

Complete waste of time. She told us to look away when she was scanning 'down there' so we were in the dark for a bit. Then as she was showing us the spine, the naughty little one lunged right forward with 'it's' legs apart!! There for all to see was the obvious lack of 'extras'/a little willy!! The surprise was completely gone, all three of us looked at each other and laughed, no doubt at all what we weren't/were seeing.

So no surprise for us, but I do see both sides. It's very exciting now we know, but would also have been fun to have a surprise. We've only told a few people so it'll still be fun breaking the news to everyone when he/she arrives!!

We did not get offered but there was a problem with the 20 week scan, so we were more concerned about that, I'm sure if we had asked
we had decided we didn't want to know, however the OH think he saw something on the other scan yesterday, and I thought I had imagined seeing something on a 16 week heart scan; which I didn't believe as apparently you can't see it at that gestation, but both our suspicions were the same, loads more growth scans due so doubt we will be able to avoid accidently seeing something
Funny though, most of our stuff we already bought is geared towards that gender although strictly speaking, it's very neutral in case

We found out for practical reasons because i wanted to buy colour coordinated items and also im am impatient and just wanted to know! xxx

Hi like everyones said its personally choice. For me i want to know (my second and my oh's first). After talking with my oh he want to know and is hoping for a boy, in fact hes hung up on having a boy so with us finding out when the time comes, he can get his head round the fact that we could be having a girl. for me i have a boy so a girl would be nice, and it also makes it easier to choose names and clothes. the one thing we have decided is we are not telling anyone the sex. i think thats going to be the fun part. also knowing mean i can start calling him or her by a name. With my first it was Alex from about 15wks.

Good luck today and Fx

x

I really am a person who hate surprises, back when I had no1 , no2, and no3 they just wouldn't tell you .When I had no4 thay still wouldn't say but gave me the scan photo of the potty shot it was very obviously a boy. With no 5 I asked and they told me , so the policies have changed over the years and I for one am very glad I love knowing who it is as I think it helps me and the rest of the family with bonding even before their birth plus it's good be able to sort out any disappointment issues between the older children before baby arrives .
I hope you have a lovely scan , whether you decide to see or keep it a surprise .All the best xx

Last edited:
I think if our health board told u the sex I'd have found out and we could of course pay for a private scan but we've never bothered. Husband and I don't mind either way I'd like a girl for me and a boy for him lol!!!
I think it is easier tho with buying things etc and planning and like all of the other girls have said it's purely personal choice.
I'm very nosey so I'm quite surprised I havnt gone n found out lol!!!
Good luck with whatever u decide xxxx

It's definitely alot easier when buying things to know. I nought a few bits before we knew and then looked at them and was like "is this a bit boyish?" or vice versa, it was really hard! Especially as the beige/cream clothes and accesories did nothing for me at all x

im finding out - i'm too impatient to wait and i hate all the unisex clothing! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back