20 week scan - so worried

Fermerswife

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am expecting my 2nd baby and had my 20 week scan today at 19+6

Due to BMI, anterior placenta and the fact that I'm not quite 20 weeks the sonographer couldn't get all her images/measurements so I have to go back in 2 weeks for a rescan. I'm fine with that as I had a similar issue with my son but she also said she needs to look again at the kidneys as both are showing signs of having fluid on them or renal pelvic dilation. This is down on my notes as a "marker" for Down syndrome. Well I have pretty much cried since I came home and am so upset. I've had a missed miscarriage and a ruptured ectopic and after the ectopic I said I was never going to get pregnant again as knowing my luck I'd get to the 20
Week scan and something would be wrong - now this happens.

I know this can be pretty common and usually resolves itself so I guess I'm just looking for others experiences. The Down syndrome link is worrying me as I'm over 35 and in Northern Ireland we don't have any nt scans or testing to put my mind at rest.

I'm actually quite annoyed at the scanner too, she said the dilation was mild at 6mm for one and 4mm for the other when the cut off it 7mm (tho I've read different figures online). Like why the heck did she even mention it if they're both below the cut off and she had to rescan anyway. I think sometimes my mum is right for all the benefits of modern medicine it also causes a whole load of stress.

Sorry to hear that it's left you with such stress and upset! Obviously, I'm no doctor, but the dilation does sound very slight. We had a kidney problem found at our scan too (although it's a completely different thing) so I did a bit of kidney related research at the time. I totally empathise with how upset and confused it leaves you feeling! All I can say is wait for the next scan, try not to worry (easy to say, I know!), try not to read lots of things online that'll make you more worried and I hope you'll be reassured by whatever they have to say next time. Hugs! Xx

My mum was told my little brother had or could have spinabifta as something was showing on his kidney bowel area. Turns out he did have ibs as a child but nothing more.

Also my cousin was told there could be somethin up with her boys kidneys but again turned out fine.

How were your screening bloods?

I hope all is ok with baby, sometimes sonographers dunno when to just bite their tongue unless told otherwise or need to.

xxxx

Thanks yorkslass.

I hope your baby is doing well. She wanted me to wait 4 weeks before coming back but I talked her into 2. She actually said I probably shouldn't have said anything about the kidney thing - why did she then. I'm just so upset and want to just go to bed and cry not go to flipping work. I don't want to tell any family either as there's no point worrying them.

Hiya really sorry to read you're having such a rough time, pregnancy is worrying enough without something like this happening. I've no experience of kidney issues at scans but I really hope it turns out to be nothing which I've heard it does more often than not.
On the downs marker issue - I just wanted to say that I also live in NI and was told my risk was significantly higher due to me being 39. Because of this I decided to have screening privately to put my mind at rest - I used a company called ultrasound direct who are based on Lisburn Road and they did a scan and the harmony blood test. The girl that did the scan was very helpful and informative and the blood test has a high level of accuracy I believe. It's not cheap mind you - we paid £400. Just thought I'd mention it in case you're interested. Hope you are OK and best of luck with everything xx

Talk to your work and explain that it's been very upsetting and can you have a personal day. I did after my scan, I just couldn't face it - they were understanding about it. You know, we were quite annoyed about the way we were dealt with on the first scan - although doctors are brilliant, some have no tact and sensitivity! Luckily the rescan was handled much better - it's when they really have no information and tell you something but at the same time don't tell you anything that's the worst! Glad you got her down to 2 weeks. Do try not to worry too much - if she was playing it down and saying she shouldn't have even said anything, it's likely a good sign.
Our little one has one kidney that hasn't formed properly, but will live a fine life with just one! Xx

Forgot to mention, slight dilation can just be a bit of liquid backing up the tubes, which is apparently very common. Especially in boys, I read...
But - as I say, I'm no medic - see what they say at the next scan xx

Thanks again Yorkslass, glad your little one will be fine.

We did find out this baby is a girl so that was some nice news.

I was trying to persuade my hubby to get some harmony bloods done that can at least rule out the genetic issues as I feel that even if the kidney issue does persist we can deal with that - well we'd deal with a genetic problem too but I don't want to worry constantly about that.
He's his usual, you're just looking for problems, on that front though, he just doesn't understand how I feel. I just feel alone which i know I'm not hence the posting here ;)

Aww... congrats on your girl!
The harmony test would be worth it if it helps put your mind at rest. Xx

Thanks Russellmuscle and Roisin.

I'm sorry I don't know how I missed your replies last time I checked the thread. Isn't the lack of screening in NI awful Roisin? I really want to do those tests but my husband is so unsupportive he just doesn't get it, he just says if there's something wrong with baby there's something wrong you'll never know until it's born he just doesn't get that it's the not knowing that is the awful bit, even if baby does have something wrong of course I'll deal with it of course I'll love them just as much but at least I can stop worrying and be prepared in the meantime.

Hello just thought I would write to you with my experience to try and put your mind at rest. At my 20 scan with my little boy in 2014 I got told he had retained fluid in his kidneys, I got scanned all through the my pregnancy and his right kidney went upto almost 20mm and his left was upto 11mm at its worst, they were like this untill I delivered at 36 weeks, I like you was terrified about what was going to happen, the Down syndrome aspect and just how to deal with the concept that my baby was not healthy. The outcome on my boy has been very good, he has had scans since he was born in December 2014, but he so far is living a happy healthy life, and is a very active bright little boy.

I have probably not covered all the questions you have but don't hesitate to private mail me or anything if you want. As I know exactly how stressful it can be. We were given many different outcomes and thankfully everything has turned out best case scenario. Try not to stress too much Hun, easier said than done I know. Take care. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back