2 days old and I'm doubting myself about breastfeeding

You're doing brilliantly. The jaundice should go away - mine was still jaundiced at two weeks, but she was very weak and losing weight. Just keep on doing what you're doing. I started expressing early on to increase my supply too, so that's fine, and necessary if you're topping up with formula. Keep trying, but make sure you try to rest as much as possible. There is nothing more important at this stage if you want to keep BFing - housework, guests etc. can all take a back seat. Co-sleeping safely is great. I feel like your cheerleader :pompom::pompom::pompom::pompom:

As everyone says, though - your happiness is really important, so if you end up FF or combi feeding, which I did at the beginning, it's all good xxx

Quite right hun, as long as she has a full tummy and a happy mummy then she will be one happy baby.

There is no point in stressing yourself over it. This is such a special time, you should be enjoying it as much as you can. I couldn't exclusively bf as i didn't have enough milk so i did a bit of both but moved to just formula when he was around seven weeks old. He's no different on the formula to when he was combi fed.

Breast milk may be best for your baby, but most important for your baby is to have a happy and content mummy. Theres nothing at all wrong with formula. I was formula fed and theres nowt wrong with me!! :) Feed her how you want to hun, she won't care and you know you'll have our support whatever you do!! :hug:

XX

I saw a thing on TV the other day about BF and they showed the size of a newborns stomach, I knew new babies have small stomachs but it was tiny, like the size of a marble! Anyway thought that might be a comfort, if she is getting some milk chances is it is plenty to keep her going for now, it really doesn't need to be much at a time. I hope it works out for you, I had a friend who had trouble with BF and I saw how upsetting it was for her.

Last edited:
That's the thing with bf, little and often. That's why they feed so frequently at first x

Sounds like your doing amazing! Don't feel bad about a formula top up. I can't help with Bf advice, I only lasted 5 days

Don't know where the rest of my post is!

Anyway is there no breastfeeding support network in your area?! Sounds like your doing amazing. Take 1 day at a time. And if she's hungry in sure she will let you know.
And my little boy was a bit jaundice and my me told me to sit his Moses basket at the window.xxx

Thanks again to everyone for all your help and advice! I saw a breast feeding expert yesterday but she was a bit nutty and I felt overwhelmingly like I was being forced to do something that just wasn't right for me.
We gave her a bottle on the next feed, then just carried on.. she has slept better, fed properly and seems a lot happier. As am I! I have to see the midwife again today so I'm anxious about explaining my decision, but I know it was the right one for me.

Now I just have to sort out my concrete boobs! I've stopped expressing as I don't want to keep producing and prolong the soreness.. any other ideas for how to soothe them?

Thanks again to everyone, PF is amazing :)

Warm flannel in the bath, cabbage leaves in you bra out of the fridge x

Well done for making a decision that felt right for you, hun. Your LO will be absolutely fine. Glad you're feeling better about it and that she is more settled. I have heard that the cold cabbage leaves work a treat - I'll be trying them when I stop BFing! xxx

Sweetie don't feel anxious about telling MW your decision. They are there to support you, not bully you into something you don't want to do.

Hope your concrete boobies (lol) feel better soon! :)

XX

Last edited:
Please don't feel like you have to explain yourself, I only BF for 5 days and I felt guilty for like a day. Then I got over it. And realised it was the best decision for both me and my baby. My LO is 13 weeks now and a very happy, healthy formula fed baby xxx

Thanks again, the midwife kept asking if I wanted more help latching on etc but I told her that we were happy with our decision! I don't feel guilty anymore as its so obviously the best way for us :)

Thanks again, the midwife kept asking if I wanted more help latching on etc but I told her that we were happy with our decision! I don't feel guilty anymore as its so obviously the best way for us :)

Yeahy! I'm a proud FF. and I think a happy rested mummy is more important xxx

Agreed.

A happy mummy is so important, regardless of whether baby is BF or FF.

You sound more positive in your last update here. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back