Breastfeeding

*Star*

Reaction score
I'd forgotten how painful the first few days of breastfeeding are!
My milk started coming in last night, and this morning I've woken up with rock hard breasts. Plus, when she latches on it's so painful until she gets a good latch on.

She still is pretty fussy with her feeding. Most of the time she'll only have a feed for about 5 mins or so then she'll fall asleep, and she wont take it then even if i offer it to her and try and wake her up.

Aww, it'll will get better.
Well done for trying it again though!

I remember my midwife telling me to stroke my DD's jaw line as she was feeding as this stimulates them to feed for longer and stops them falling asleep so quickly, it seemed to work for us.

Also if your breasts are really engorged and painful try putting fridge cooled Savoy cabbage leaves in your bra (yes I know disgusting) but if really helps ease the discomfort.

Another thing try buying some Lansinoh nipple cream for your nips, this was the only cream that worked for me and eased the painfulness of cracked nipples, well worth the money.

Good luck :D

What the others have said is good advice. To keep your LO awake while feeding though....rub her hands and tickle her feet, lightly pinch her cheeks, that will keep her sucking instead of falling asleep.

Don't worry with your second booby fed baby the nipple pain is much shorter lived... :)

I was told that the baby gets 90% of its food in the first 5 mins, and then the drink part of the milk kicks in, was told that by a midwife and HV as my LO only use to feed for 5mins and then would go 3/4 hours before she wanted more, and she put on weight great. I wouldn't worry she'll wake if she wants more. :hug:

my wee man kept falling asleep at the start, i tickled his feet, his belly and his jawline to try to keep him feeding so he lasted til 10 mins or so. the first few days are a killer, have you got the lan cream stuff? really helped my nips during the first few toe curling latch days!!

yep, we headed out to boots just before and i bought some! Amelia doesn't like the taste of it, she pulls some very funny faces!!

ugh, i'm having the toe curling latch stage for sure! I know it's only this first week that is the main problem. And i know it will get easier. i can cope with the pain, because i know how much i love bf after the initial few days!

she's been asleep for a good few hours now, looks like she's just stirring again, so hopefully she'll take a good feed!

Good luck, hope your nips feel better soon.. i too remember the toe curling pain :hug:

I was obsessed with how long Eva fed for at the start but she still doesnt take very long now 6 months later! I think she is just efficient! Hang in there, the pain will be over soon! :hug:

Well done with keeping trying!! :cheer:

At the BFing clinic today, she said to make sure the baby feeds for about 25-45 minutes because for the first part, baby only gets the thirst quenching part of the milk (the fore milk), the hind milk is the stuff that satisfies them and lets them go longer between feeds (it's got more fat in it) and it takes approx 20 minutes for babies to get to that part of the milk.

She also said to change baby's nappy after a burp to wake them up more, it works with Miss Evie! x

were doing a lot better now!!!!
it's such a relief knowing i wont be in as much pain when she starts a feed!!!

she's feeding for longer now too, i think maybe being early she finds it hard to keep awake!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back