Really need advice on what clothes are needed.....

Dee83

Reaction score
I know it sounds really stupid but i am literally clueless when it comes to all this baby stuff so could do with some advice please :)

What are body suits used for and when will baby wear them - are they to be used as vests, underneath babygrows and outfits etc?

What does baby wear mainly during the day in the first few months, babygrows?

Are sleepsuits different to babygrows? Also do they wear a sleepsuit when they are sleeping in one of them sleeping bag thingys?

Is an all in one just another word for a babygrow?

I could do with advice on how many essentials i need too if poss, like how many vests, babygrows, sleepsuits, pairs of socks, mittens etc...

I think that we are going to have quite a big baby as both my husband and i were big when we were born, however i know we can't guarantee this so i'm thinking it's best to get some newborn stuff and some 0-3?

I know people will probably buy us clothes but i just want to make sure that we're prepared with the essentials!

Sorry that i've asked so many questions, even if you can just answer 1 or 2 i would appreciate it! I feel like a right idiot, i'm not as thick as i sound, honest :roll:

Cheers girls xxx

Ok, so you have the vest, either short sleeved or long sleeved and these are legless. Thats your starting point.

Unless is really warm, the vest goes on first over the nappy. Then the babygrow/sleepsuit (theyre the same thing just different names).

If I was to have another baby, I would only buy sleepsuits for the first 3 months at least. I know alot of people would disagree but this is basically what she was in and all the outfits went to waste because I just needed her to be comfy and easily dressed.

Also, and again, personal opinion, when she was born all I wanted to do was buy her clothes so if I could do it again Id buy 2/3 packs of vest and 2/3 packs of sleepsuits in both newborn and 0-3 months and then buy the rest once LO arrived. Then you get the joys of buying them with baby!

The newborn stuff will fit even a heavy baby because they're alot skinnier than an older baby of the same weigh. It might also be worth buying one tiny baby outfit. Me and OH were both bigish babies but my LO was 15 days late and only 6lb 12oz and in tiny baby stuff for about 2/3 weeks.

Sorry I rambled but Im just answering your rambling :) Hope that helped!

Ok, so you have the vest, either short sleeved or long sleeved and these are legless. Thats your starting point.

Unless is really warm, the vest goes on first over the nappy. Then the babygrow/sleepsuit (theyre the same thing just different names).

If I was to have another baby, I would only buy sleepsuits for the first 3 months at least. I know alot of people would disagree but this is basically what she was in and all the outfits went to waste because I just needed her to be comfy and easily dressed.

Also, and again, personal opinion, when she was born all I wanted to do was buy her clothes so if I could do it again Id buy 2/3 packs of vest and 2/3 packs of sleepsuits in both newborn and 0-3 months and then buy the rest once LO arrived. Then you get the joys of buying them with baby!

The newborn stuff will fit even a heavy baby because they're alot skinnier than an older baby of the same weigh. It might also be worth buying one tiny baby outfit. Me and OH were both bigish babies but my LO was 15 days late and only 6lb 12oz and in tiny baby stuff for about 2/3 weeks.

Sorry I rambled but Im just answering your rambling :) Hope that helped!

Thanks so much for your advice, it's much appreciated! I can tend to ramble a bit :lol:

I second tiny baby. Isla was only 6lb 12 and all her clothes were huge on her. We had tonnes and tonnes of new baby, newborn and 0-3 bought for us on top of everything we bought!

Isla only wears sleepsuits at night now. Agreed comfort is important in the first few weeks. Jeans and trousers aren't comfy in car seats.

I quite like pjs, as you can just take the top of when baby has been sick. But maybe this is better when baby is older

Emma x

I second tiny baby. Isla was only 6lb 12 and all her clothes were huge on her. We had tonnes and tonnes of new baby, newborn and 0-3 bought for us on top of everything we bought!

Isla only wears sleepsuits at night now. Agreed comfort is important in the first few weeks. Jeans and trousers aren't comfy in car seats.

I quite like pjs, as you can just take the top of when baby has been sick. But maybe this is better when baby is older

Emma x

Thanks Emma. Hadn't even thought about PJ's, will prob wait till baby is born and see how we get on with the sleepsuits first then xx

I have an obsession with sleep suits! Think he'll be in them for as long as poss lol

I have been a nanny for years so have seen lots of people buy the wrong things/overbuy and so I will be getting at least 8 vests (maybe combo of long and short sleeved) 8 -12 bodysuits/all in ones and only a couple of outfits. Depending on when your baby is due the separate trousers and tops are great, especially the trousers that have feet built in (dont need socks that keep falling off then!) Also lots of people will buy you little outfits so its worth spending yuor money on the essentials! I agree with tiny baby comments, I would get a combo of tiny baby/new born and 0-3 - at the end of the day generally we are all close enough to shops to send OH's/mothers out shopping if we desperately need anything! My other comment is that it is worth making sure you have enough stuff so that if your LO is sick all the time you have enough clothes so that you don't have to worry about washing and drying clothes as that is the last thing you will want to be doing when you have got a gorgeous new baby to look after! You will also need a good supply of bibs (to save clothes if your baby is sicky) and lots and lots of muslins! xxx

Last edited:
Thanks girls! It's amazing how much stuff i thought i knew about babies when really i haven't got a clue! lol. xxx

Sorry for stalking but I didn't know you put a vest under sleep suit omg I've got a lot to learn :wall2: xx

lol Tell me about it Sue, i'm pretty clueless!!! x

You dont have to put a vest on underneath its just a good idea especially if your baby is due in Winter time like ours in December :) Just a little bit warmer and also snugger on the nappy area compared to the sleepsuits.

Thanks Lucy! I'm slowly learning lol!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back