16 week consultant appointment

Slb24

Reaction score
Hey ladies,
It's been a while since I was at this stage with my daughter and I can't remember.
Can anyone tell me what happens at the 16 week consultant appointment?
I know not everyone is consultant led.
With my daughter I was consultant led because I'm anaemic.
This time it's because I'm anaemic and have had a previous section.
Thanks xx

Also I have a few questions but is there anything you would recommend asking? Thanks x

Hey sib, all my pregnancies have been consultant led, I think they go over the risks of the pregnancy, and give additional scans if needed. My consultant also books me in for my c section at the appointment too. Does blood pressure etc. My first was a c section, and the consultant with my second tried to push me into another c section I refused and wanted to go for a vbaC he wasn't sure but I was addiment, good job I was were a natural birth, my third I again asked for a natural birth he was still iffy with me I went into labour but ended in an emergency c X section, my fourth he just booked me there and then for a c section on first appointment with him but wernt mad at me about it.
I'm dreading what he's going to say next week, this will be section number 4 Ano it's a lot riskier.
I'd ask your birthing options, possible risks etc. And ask what's put in place for worth cases etc.
Good luck with the appointment. Xx

Hiya
I'm also under a consultant as well as my first was born by emergency c-section. I have already told my midwife that I want this baby naturally as my first labour experience was a cock up from the start and after in one if my check up I was told by the Doctor that they couldn't see why she wasn't born naturally so if when I see my consultant on 19th July they try and get me to have another section I will go mad!!!!! My daughter is autistic so I can't be in hospital for days..I need to be on the go more of less straight away! Good luck with your appointment..hope it goes well xx

Amy they can't force you into a c section, after 1 c section VBAC as a very high success rate. I gave birth naturally after my first c section just got to be firm on what you want. My oldest son is also autistic so completely understand about wanting to be on the go more of less straight away. I haven't got an option at all with regards to how I have my baby it's. Section again. Altho a did recover well last time ( was my third). X

At my 16 week appointment they just pretty much did what MW does, check urine, blood pressure, discuss the reason for consultant appointment. In my case it's because I suffer with hypermobility syndrome which mainly affects my hips, resulting in severe SPD & SJD so it's really regarding my pain management..... I was given cocodamol and sent on my way with another appointment at 30 weeks. She said if I needed to go before hand my MW will make me an appointment sooner..... They also wrote to my GP to advise him to prescribe more pain relief when I require it. They also went over my last birth as I had to be induced early due to my condition. Depending on your reason for being consultant lead your appointment may well be very different. X

Thank you ladies :)

Went to the appointment and it was similar to yours.

Spoke to the consultant about my choices and she advised me to go for a vbac and there is nothing stopping me. (I was going to anyway) so it sounds like you must have pretty pushy consultants regarding sections. I've seen my consultant a few times, it's the same one who did my recurrent miscarriage appointment and I find her lovely. Very knowledgeable, professional and friendly. So I think I'm lucky to have her.

She informed me I could have sweeps from 37 weeks, growth scans at 28,32,36, & 40 (last baby was small), and told me about my choices basically.

I was a bit shocked though..
My placenta is anterior and if I need another section then a consultant has to do it (not the usual registrar). She told me they don't have consultants in on a night but they all live within 30 minutes if I need an emergency section. It scared me a little bit tbh as 30 mins is a long time to wait if baby is having problems :/

Other than that the appointment was fine :) xx

Awww sib I'm so glad the appointment went well, she sounds lovely not pushing things on you with regards to c sections. VbaC is the most amazing experience ever. I felt as though I had failed in a way with my first resulting in a c section, such a different experience completely even tho I had laboured 26hour with my first before a c section. My vbaC was in labour 6 hours no stitches just s couple of grazes. :) they class emergency even if babies fine and no progression with labour, that's what happened with both of my emergency ones. I also think once your in hospital labouring maybe they'd call consultant to be on stand by. Sounds so professional tho been told everything, consultant I've got ya like drawing blood outta a stone. Don't no I'd u e asked before SIB but what is a anterior placenta? I'm so scared incase anything is wrong with my placenta at 20week scan. At 16 weeks midwife appointment do they listen to the babies heartbeat? Xx

She really is. She basically lets you make the choice. She asked me what I wanted first and then gave me pros and cons of both, and asked me for an answer again. I think that's how most consultants should be. At the end of the day it's your body and your baby so you should have a say.

My first was induced at 37 weeks so it was completely false and not progressing. So I have no idea how it's going to go. But I will give it a shot :)

Your vbac sounds amazing :)

I hope they do actually. It scares me in case babys hearts dropped etc and there is no consultant on duty. But I will deal with that later lol

Ikklemoi.. You can ask to change consultants. I would try, hopefully you will get a nicer consultant. My friend is having problems with hers at the minute. They can be terrible.

My placenta started of over my cervix (placenta Previa)
But as my uterus has moved up its moved the placenta up towards the front of my stomach (anterior). Posterior is where it should be (behind the baby at the back). Anterior isn't a major problem, just means you don't feel baby as well. But I've been feeling her from 14+2 and they're getting pretty strong now :)

Obviously anterior is only a problem if it's behind your section scar. As they can cut it by accident. But if they find out its there they scan you whilst in labour or before a section and the cut through the original scar and move up and cut the top of your uterus (away from the placenta). So the risk is minimal. They check placenta position at 20 weeks. And if it's posterior it can't change to anterior. So don't worry :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back