16 week appointment today

*sara*

Reaction score
I had my 16 week appointment with the midwife today, i have several needle holes in my arms as she let a student try and take my blood, i have bad veins and its even written on my notes to use a butterfly but no they insist on making holes in me :(
She was'nt very reassuring either when i told het of my concerns after having 2 losses this yr, she just said you will feel better after your 20 wk scan :wall:
She said even though ive already got a son and should get fewer appointments that she will just treat me like a first time mum so i get a few more appointments so she can keep an eye on me, so next one in 8 wks :D
Didnt listen to baby which i thought she would...but then i can do that at home with doppler so not too bothered.
How long does it take for downs blood results to come back?

I had plenty of puncture wounds in my arms from my last one too. At least the student MW who was in at mine had the guts to say that she didn't want to try :shock: but the normal MW went on to prick me over and over on each side. Ow!

*sara* said:
How long does it take for downs blood results to come back?

I was told 1-2 weeks, but if they're considered high risk I'd hear within a few days. Been 2 weeks now and I've not heard so I'm hoping that means good news... Good luck, hun.

Hi Hun!

I have got my 16 wk appointment tomorrow morning. I am not looking forward to giving blood. :talkhand:

I am hoping that the midwife will try and listen for babies heart for me as i havnt been able to find it with my doppler yet plus i dont even get a 20 wk scan :?

Glad you are well
xx

Hey hun sorry the MW gave you loads of pin holes in your arms :hug: I dont think the medics are very reassuring about some things these days or atleast i dont think so. :hug: :hug: I have my apointment next week as it being half term she wasnt here this week i was kind of looking forwards to my appointment esp if i get to hear bubs but not having more bloods taken i really hate needles :( I hope your keeping ok other than this :) :hug: :hug: :hug:

Wow time is flying Sara I cannot believe you are at 16 weeks already! Sorry your mw wasn't more reassuring for you though :hug:

That's naughty about your poor arm!!!!! I wonder why she didn't listen to heartbeat!!! when I went for mine the first thing I said was, you are going to listen to the heartbeat aren't you!! I think she thinks I am mad!!!!!!

Do you have a date for your 20 week scan yet? Mine is on 11th November, I shall be 21 weeks then, can't wait to see the baby again x

hellie123 said:
Do you have a date for your 20 week scan yet? Mine is on 11th November, I shall be 21 weeks then, can't wait to see the baby again x
Hi yes its the 26th Nov and ill be 19 + 4 wks :D

Mik said:
Wow time is flying Sara I cannot believe you are at 16 weeks already!
I know it went really slow up to 12 wks and now i feel its going faster :D The faster the better im just wishing the weeks away :D

Sara quick question, im guessing you didnt have a blood test at your 12 week scan ?

im just getting confused, because i didnt have a blood test @ 16 appointment, it was done when i had my scan, i guess its different depending on where you live

claire_louise said:
Sara quick question, im guessing you didnt have a blood test at your 12 week scan ?

im just getting confused, because i didnt have a blood test @ 16 appointment, it was done when i had my scan, i guess its different depending on where you live
Hi no i didnt, this is the first lot of bloods iv had taken, you would think timings of blood tests etc would be standard practice for all pregnancy's, but it seems everywhere is different.

*sara* said:
hellie123 said:
Hi yes its the 26th Nov and ill be 19 + 4 wks :D

Ah, that's lovely!!!!

Did you not have bloods taken at 8 weeks?

hellie123 said:
Hi no this is my first lot of bloods, they dont take them till 16 weeks here.

*sara* said:
hellie123 said:
Hi no this is my first lot of bloods, they dont take them till 16 weeks here.

Its so funny how they do stuff differently in different areas, I am in East Sussex. We have first MW app at 8 weeks for chat and lots of questions and then they take blood to see what blood group you are and check for HIV etc and then 16 weeks we have heart beat and then 24 weeks heart beat again, at all visits you take a urine sample and they do you blood pressure.

I had blood taken again at 16 weeks because apparantly she didn't take enough the first time so they didn't know what my group was!!! Found out I am A and not rheus negative (I think that's the one you don't want to be!!)

Hey hun! Hope you're OK & you're arm is better :( That happened to me too, it took them ages to find a vein & quite a few attempts at getting the needle in!

I had my downs blood test when I went to the hospital for my 12 week scan, they told me if I was high risk I would receive a phonecall from the hospital within five working days, but if I wasn't, then I would get a letter in the post, which I did about two weeks after the scan saying I was in the low risk catergory.

It is funny how they do things at different stages in your pregnancy depending on where you live. I had a home visit from my midwife at ten weeks & she was here for about an hour & a half discussing everything with me & going through my medical history, etc. She said I could either wait til I had my scan done for the full set of blood tests (Rubella, HIV, Blood group, etc.) or go to a local drop in clinic near my house. I went to the clinic two days later because I hate blood tests & just wanted to get it over & done with, rather than wait around for 2 weeks til I was in the hospital for my scan! I had them done at 10.30 on a monday morning & they were sent to the lab at 11am, & the results were back to my GP the very same day.. they don't hang about! They actually gave me the print out of the results from the lab when I was at the hospital and sellotaped them into my notes so it's all there for me to see myself anyway (obviously just so your midwife can see them next time she looks at your notes!)

I seem to have had bloods done at every appointment so far :shock: ; at booking in at 6 weeks, with scan at 12wks and triple test at 15 weeks - I'm gonna need a transfusion at this rate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back