Zika Virus - All Inclusive booked for Antigua in February

MrsRoger

Reaction score
Hello Lovely Ladies,

Is anyone else struggling to make a decision about if they should still go on holiday with this Zika Virus?

Antigua is not a named country on the Centre of Disease control website, but does come under "The Caribbean"

I will be 19 weeks when I got with twins and 21 weeks when we travel back.

I wouldn't be worried if I had something booked, personally.

I personally would cancel. Id say definitely not worth the risk

I don't know enough about it to comment on what it could do in your stage of pregnancy but I wouldn't risk it. Seeing those poor babies on the news, it's heart breaking. I'd cancel

I wouldn't cancel.

TBH I am extremely suspicious of Zika virus being blamed, it's been around for decades and this has only just started happening in the last year. There are other much more likely theories.

I wouldn't cancel.

TBH I am extremely suspicious of Zika virus being blamed, it's been around for decades and this has only just started happening in the last year. There are other much more likely theories.

Completely agree with this. There's always "something", and like Phoenix says, it's been around for a very long time - a lot of scaremongering. I especially wouldn't worry if Antigua isn't on the high risk map.

I wouldn't cancel.

Can you give examples of other theories? I'm not being funny with you at all but if there was uncertainty of the cause that would make me even less likely to travel

I would want know exactly what was going on before I travelled to that area

I will admit I am a worrier

Well, for one, at the very start of 2015 they made the TDaP vaccine (as opposed to DTaP) available/mandatory for all pregnant women. And then 9 months later they started seeing large numbers of babies with microcephaly.

At the moment it's just Brazil and a few cases in south America I believe? and one case in Hawaii where the woman lived in Brazil for the first half of her pregnancy.

Zika has been blamed because a handful of the cases were babies born to mums who had Zika during their pregnancy. But with the other thousands of cases, Zika has not been identified or proven. These women have not definitely had Zika in their pregnancy.

I know what you mean about the uncertainty, and whilst it might put me off going to Brazil, it wouldn't put me off going to other countries especially in the Caribbean rather than neighbouring South American countries.

Personally I think I would cancel. The babies that have died have been found to carry the virus. If I could night get my money back and go else where. If I was to have a baby who was born with the virus I'd be so upset and probably never forgive myself. X

I'm worried about this too. I'm only going to Fuerteventura in Feb but it's still preying on my mind.

I think if there's no cases in that country and you take all precautions i would like to think you would be ok. I know the press love to scaremonger. I'd be cautious going to these counties with it while ttc though. I'd even pack a can of raid, spray the room daily etc. Keep air con on 24/7 etc. Even spray the bed daily. Maybe speak to your tour operator as if it's not an at risk country I don't know if you would be covered to change destination. X

Last edited:
It's pretty close to the great big mass of purple on the CDC affected areas map [1], which are the areas where people are getting it (from actually being bitten by mosquitos). These mosquitos do live on Antigua, so much so that the local government is stepping up anti-mosquito measures [2]. They are on high alert for it and it's not too much of a leap to believe it will jump that short distance IMO. I'd also be concerned about the extensive use of insecticides in these areas affecting foetal development.

Regarding whether Zika does cause microcephaly: it's only a suspected link at the moment, but there does seem to be a strong correlation between this outbreak and the sharp increase in cases of microcephaly. Yes, it has been around for ages, but not at these levels. Hence limited data to determine the presence of a link.
An outbreak of Zika in French Polynesia in late 2013 saw a simultaneous 20-fold rise in Guillan-Barré syndrome [3] (which is an immune attack that causes damage to the nervous system). I'm not making the link, but it seems a little too coincidental to me that nervous system damage and stunted brain development have both been linked to Zika.

With respect to Phoenix85's comments on the change to the TDaP vaccine: have you found any credible sources for a link? You know, places that provide evidence from actual science? I can only find conspiracy theory anti-vaxxer websites...

Bear in mind the component parts of the vaccine will have had literally hundreds of millions of uses over a long period of time to be able to draw data from, to even hint at a link to any adverse effects.
Contrast that with a disease that historically has only presented a handful of cases, that appears to have caused neurological symptoms in some humans; now we're seeing a mass outbreak, that is coinciding with a marked increase in microcephaly in babies who were developing at that time.

Will the worry affect your holiday?
What's 9 months of not going to somewhere where there might conceivably be a serious life-changing risk, compared to the rest of your and your child's life?

It's up to you ultimately.

Refs available on request. PF doesn't like low-post-count-ers posting links...

I completely agree, 9 months is not that long and this is your baby's life. It's completely down to you and everyone has their own opinion but I'd see if I could get a refund and change destination. It sounds like a beautiful place to go but I'd wait till after baby is born. Hope you can come to a decision x

I just don't see the point in risking it, totally broke my heart about it over the weekend, but it is one of those situations that no matter how hard you try and find a solution you know what needs to happen in the back of your mind.

Gutted is an understatement!!

I wouldn't risk it personally. I think I would spend my whole holiday worrying thus defeating the purpose of a relaxing break.

I'm off to the canary islands in March and had a little worry but we're going, mainly cause its no where near the outbreak area.

I would cancel Antiqua. I work in hospitality, If you booked your holiday via an ATOL registered agency (which is most of them) you can get your money back or they'll let you choose a new destination, move the dates ect...

like others have said, it's not worth the worry that close to the outbreak zone.

I'm a bit worried , I went to Mexico when I was 15 weeks for 2 weeks end of November and was bitten whilst out there, but this was before all the media coverage so we weren't aware. I've contacted the midwife office this morning as I'm now panicking :-(

I wouldn't cancel.. I would go hard on avoiding insects though. Look into acv and garlic as repellents and make sure your room has nets x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back