Booking in appointment not till Week 10?

Toni_Win

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, went to GP last night to tell him that I am pg and start the ball rolling with everything. I've seen from posts around that people have had mixed reactions with their GPs. Some being really attentive and helpful and others where their GP was totally uninterested. I was hoping that because I have epilepsy that he would be on the more attentive side. Unfortunately I was wrong. Because my epilepsy is under control and I am not on any medication he really wasn't bothered about me being pregnant. I had to ask him all the questions and he was just 'oh you should be fine'. Which I suppose is great news, but in the back of my mind I can't help thinking, you're not an expert on epliepsy. Anyway, he just said to keep taking folic acid and make and appointment with the midwife.

I'd checked NHS website and it said to make appointment with the midwife as soon as your pregnancy is confirmed. So I expected to get an appointment in next couple of weeks. But when I talked to the receptionist they told me that the midwife doesn't like to see anyone before 10 weeks and if they book people in sooner then they get their hands slapped! Isn't this a bit late for a booking in appointment? Will there be time to get the 12 week scan booked after that? I don't know what to do now. I know I am supposed to be able to choose all aspects of my maternity care, but I don't actually know how to make those decisions and it feels a bit weird to be changing midwife before I've even seen the one attached to my GP practice. Any advice?

Thanks.

midwifes here see ppl about week 9 so about the same. every area is slightly different hun.

OK, that's a bit more reassuring, still would rather see someone sooner rather than later.

You can always make an appt with ur gp again if your worried about stuff i went the other day and cried for 10 mins lol He was really nice!

Yeah hun i agree with what MrsMc says, I think its different with every area.

I booked mine yesterday and i have mine for Monday 16th May but i think that may be due to lack of period i had before finding out... I am not too sure tho. I got my BFP on Saturday night which came back as 1-2.

xx

I think every area is different i went to docs yesterday and i made mine for 2 weeks time, although the first app they offered me was in June! but i complained and she looked again and the 18th May came up!

Hi, yes mine said to come back at 9 weeks and they would book me an appointment for when I'm 10 weeks, and that they didnt want to see me before that. I guess its normal.

i havent even been told about a midwife appt!? hmm, i better look into that! x

Mine is also booked for Monday May 16th to see the midwife. Eventhough I informed them and doctors that I was pregnant over a month ago. Kinda sucked because I had loads of questions and no-one to answer them and the midwife was a bit sharp on the phone the first time i spoke to her. But i dont think its unusual to wait until at least week 9 or 10. I will be week 9 next week when I see her for the first time

Thanks ladies, good to know it's not just my area.

I got my midwife appointment at 6weeks 6 days pregnant.
5 Days after I found out I was pregnant and 4 days after I rang the doctors surgery to tell them.
I haven't seen my doctor yet as when I rang the surgery, they just told me to ring the midwife!

Everywhere is different. Even though I got my appointment quick, I didn't hear off them until the end of this week when I got my scan date. I was waiting for ages thinking they had forgotten about me!

Hope it goes quick for you hun xxx

I'll be over 8 weeks when I get mine. I think it just depends on how busy they are etc. I suppose we all know the basics of how to look after ourselves but it's just another waiting game isn't it :eh: x

I was nearly 13 weeks and had already had my scan by the time I saw the midwife, just the way some areas do things, don't see her now until 24 weeks!

So how did you get your scan before seeing the midwife? I thought she would be the one who organised that?

The doctor sent off the letter for scan and midwife appointments. In my area you don't see midwife till after your scan!

Yes, mine is on Friday and i will be just over 10 weeks then... xxx

In my area i having my booking appointment at 9.5 weeks but it could have been from 8 wks (now) to 10wks......she said she would book the 12 wk scan then if i wanted one (?!) and take my blood and do all the questions/answers about me,DH and our families. I cant wait for it!!! One week on Weds! All i seem to be doing is counting down days at the moment! driving myself slightly mad!!! I will stop after the 12 wk mark and when all is well!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back