Your midwife...

Mummy Rich

Reaction score
I was just wondering how our experiences differ...

How well do you know yours?!?!

How often are you supposed to see them?!??

What happens when you see them?!?!

I have seen mine once, I am due to see her this Friday. But that is it.

She listened to baby's heartbeat and asked how I was feeling last time... that was at almost 17 weeks.

I dunno...just expected more. I thought that midwifes were quite close with their patients... ah i dunno

Anyway..share! x

I saw her at my initial appointment when i was 14 weeks gone, then saw her again for my scan a few days later. Saw her again at 16, 20 & 24 weeks. I don't see her at 28 weeks as i have a scan at hospital. But i see her again 32 weeks, then 36 and then on every 2 weeks.

She's a lovely lady.

She asks how i'm feeling, any problems or worries. She checks urine sample & blood pressure and then listens to heartbeat.

It takes a while to establish a good relationship with your MW - I see 2 midwives, depending on the day I get my appointment on (they dont always work the same days so its pot luck which one I see). Now at 37 weeks I know them both well, and they know me by name!!

I saw mine at 16 weeks
Next at 25 weeks
Next at 28 weeks
Next at 31 weeks
Again at 32 weeks due to possible growth problem
Next at 34
Next at 36
Then again tomorrow at 37 weeks as my baby is breech, and they need to start taking action on this!

I had my first MW appointment at 16 weeks - had bloods taken, and general booking in appointment, buts that only because I was living out of the country until then.

At my 25 week appointment the MW started to check fundal height, listen to heartbeat, check urine sample, check BP, and thats about it! I also had more bloods taken at 25 weeks to check iron levels etc.

From about 34 weeks they start to look more seriously at fetal position.

To be honest MW appointments are not really that exciting, and it does take some time to start to get to know them well, I chat away about life in general at my appointments, so they get to know me better than they might get to know quieter ladies :D

I don't think many people have the 'traditional' experience that we all expect or would like (if it ever existed anyway) where you know the midwife very well and she knows your name when you turn up! :roll: My midwife can't even get my name write when it is written on the front of my notes!!

I have seen my midwife at 10 weeks for booking, a different midwife at 16 weeks for triple test, my midwife again at 28 weeks, a locum at 31 weeks and then my midwife again at 34 and 37 weeks.

Since then I have seen her twice more - but mostly because she is feeling guilty because the trust have caused a few 'red tape' problems. She is lovely and it is because she simply has too much on her plate but it's not really good enough is it? I wasn't meant to see her again until overdue but saw her at 39 weeks and she came round to my house yesterday and is coming round again on Friday.

I still haven't saw my own MW yet!

I've had 2 MW appointments so far, well my 3rd is this afternoon so hopefully I'll get to meet her today!

I don't really 'know' mine, so far I have only seen her twice, but she seems like a very nice lady!

I saw her first at 10 weeks, when she came to my house for a home visit and my 'Booking in' appointment. She was here for about an hour and a half, went through my medical history, problems with my previous pregnancy, and gave me a date for my first scan and a date for my routine blood tests.
I saw her again at 18 weeks, at the clinic (although it was meant to be 16 weeks but she forgot to ring me! :roll: ), she listened to baby's heartbeat, checked my BP and reviewed the results of my blood tests. The next time I see her is 6th Jan for my 24 week checkup, then I think it's 32 weeks after that!

As above! She takes Urine sample, checks baby's heartbeat and my BP, asks if I have any questions, and that's about it!

so far i have seen mine at these weeks:

13 (thought i was about 10 weeks) - booking in
13+6 - dating scan (didnt see my midwife for this just the sonographer)
15 weeks - first set of bloods
20+4 - anomaly scan (again didnt see my midiwfe just the sonographer)
21 weeks - general visit, talked through bloods results etc (fundal height measured and HB heard for the first time today)
26 weeks - second set of bloods
30 weeks - talked through bloods results etc
34 weeks - general check
36 weeks - general check
38 weeks - general check
seeing her again next week (39 weeks)
then i guess weekly til she decides to make an appearance!

I don't know mine- I keep getting different ones. I am also concerned by the lack of appointments. I saw one at about 11 weeks and then another one after 13 week scan - only by mistake- she said book in to see us after 'your scan' which I thought meant 13 week, but they meant 20 week. Great communication hey. they did nothing.

I feel completely unsupported by the NHS and am looking into a private midwife.

Or maybe it's just too early??

My midwife seems nice so far ive had the following appointments:
8 weeks for booking appointment
11+4 weeks scan and consultant
15+5 weeks for full bloods, triple test etc
16+5 weeks for couselling for high risk downs syndrome test
17+3 weeks midwife came to house, listened to heartbeat and BP
19+4 weeks scan
21+5 weeks BP, heartbeat etc

next appointments 28wks, 34wks, 36wks, 38wks, and 40 wks

I saw a midwife for a booking appointment at about 8 weeks. Had my scan and blood tests at 13 weeks so saw different people. At 16 week appointment went to a different midwife. She seemed nice enough but i wasn't there long. Just took some wee, listened to the heartbeat and asked how i was (sick as a dog i told her!). Next appointment is back to the hospital for second scan, then another midwife appointment 4 weeks after that.

When we go to the hospitals to have our babies it will be a different midwife again won't it? I think the ones i see just work at the GP office :think:

I can't say i know mine very well at all.

My first visit (booking in) at about 8 weeks, she went though most things with me and i thought she was ok.

Then i had a scan at 12 weeks at the hospital

Then i saw my midwife at 16 weeks (went with hubby) she barely spoke to me, fumbled though the notes and bloods, then booked me in for my 28 week app...only i will actually be 31 weeks when i worked it out! Really felt like a waste of space this time, didn't measure me or listen to baby :(

19 weeks had a bleed and went to hospital, baby heartbeat fine, had 2 speculums (spl) dr told me my cervix was unhealthy, i broke down and was terrified i had cancer. Sent home at 3am to cry all night.

Same week had a colposcopy to check my cervix, found to be ok (phew!)

20 week scan baby fine but found to have placenta completely blocking the os - told to have scan at 36 weeks and bring hospital bag as may need admitting, advised no intercourse and to get my butt to hospital if i bleed again.
Told them about having a colposcopy and the sonographers eyes nearly popped out of her head - i could of bleed to death apparently :roll:

So i am now 25 weeks and feel like i have hardly had any anti-natal care or support.

I was wondering if it was just me who didn't 'know' my midwife but it sounds like most of us feel that way. If i have any questions or worries i tend to come on this forum and ask my virtual friends rather than ask the midwife! :lol:
My midwife appointments aren't something i look forward to. I really didn't like the first one i saw as she made some very unsupportive comments and made me feel far more worried than before seeing her. It's just a date to hand over some wee and get prodded!

I had my booking in appointment at 8 weeks, then a scan + blood tests at 11 weeks. Since then nothing. My next scan and midwife appointmen will be on the 12th January (just over 10 weeks with no appointments). I'm so glad I bought the doppler!

I personally dont like my midwife i think shes scatty she told me she wouldnt be sending me for a referal to see a consultant because of a cyst on my right overy due to endo then 2 days after my blood tests i get a letter stating i need to go and see a consultant so over xmas iv panicked tried to contact her for several reasons and phone is always off

im due nxt to see her on the 13th of Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back