Wrong gender at 20 week scan

firstfreakout

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, has anybody here ever been told their baby was one gender at their gender scan for you to find out they were wrong after giving birth?
:shock:

Just curious as to how often this happens...

Lol have a google if it.
I've mentioned before someone ikno being told a boy but was a girl but found out at another scan it when she was born lol.
It's 95% accurate at the 20 week scan and if you go private 99% from 17 weeks I think so it's not bad odds! X

I have also been wondering the same! My sonographer said she was having didficulty telling the gender as there was a lot of cord between it's legs but she thinks it's a boy. in my scan notes under gender she wrote "? Boy". For about a week I was nervous incase she was wrong but I've decided just to roll with it and if it turns out to be a girl I'll get the biggest surprise of my life!

I had a 16 week gender scan and they said boy and I think I saw boy bits, at 20 weeks the sonographer didn't seem particularly committed to boy, saying something along the lines of 'yeah I think they were probably right' and I think because I was sure it was a girl before I was scanned there is still this tiny bit of doubt in my mind. I'm sure they will be right but I just keep thinking oh well I'd get a big surprise at birth if they were wrong! X

This happened to 2 people I know. You could always go for a private scan, can get these for about £44 to double check.

I was told I was having a girl. ......had a fairly traumatic general anaesthetic c section, woke up to be told I had a lovely boy! I was so out of it I thought the midwife was messing with me. Mistakes happen I'm afraid x

Midwife told OH it is a boy but we didn't see any boy bits. I made a joke to him along the lines of wouldn't it be funny if they were wrong, and just wondering what the chances were.

I'm Not gonna have another scan to confirm though as I'm always felt it was a boy and if it isn't then it'll be a hilarious surprise after delivery!

Last edited:
I saw both my boys bits flapping about on the screen so no denying it. We did get a 16w scan private then backed up at 20 weeks.

It does happen ... just get another scan privately if it's causing anxiety xxxx

My mum was told both me and my sister were boys!
We are not... x

i wish this will happen to me.. I'm 30 weeks and secretly still praying a willy has grown lol

i was told boy from the gender experts.. i was made up... then had private n nhs scans... 15/16/20/28 weeks and she is all girl lol.

worth giving these a shot.. its only fun but they were actually accurate for me ...even tho i was told on the above scans lol.
http://genderprediction.co.uk there website if full of info too on nub etc.

and how typical.. had 1 boy name throughout .... now its a girl....we can't agree on a name lol

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but of course there is always that 1% you can find yourself in. However I would focus more on the 99% xx

My friend was told she was having a girl and it turned out to be a boy!

I'm hoping I'm definitely having a boy! At my gender scan at 17+6, she said boy and actually pointed out boy bits and how they were separate to the umbilical cord. She even pointed out the scrotum! Had our anomaly scan at 21+5 and she said 99% boy (we were quite happy with this as they're not allowed to say 100%)

i had a 15 week scan and that was the first time i was told girl.. she said 100%...
and still i didn't want to believe her. i suppose they are the professionals... im 30 weeks n still waiting for a willy to grow. haha

Had my 20 week scan today and she said 80% sure it's a girl...there were no visible boy bits and we could see 3 lines between the legs. I'm thrilled but worried it's not conclusive. Hubby doesn't want to pay out for a private scan as we've already had 2, and says they are probably not allowed to say for sure in case they are sued. He's sure it's a girl. I want to start buying things but am too nervous! X

A work colleague was told girl but found out shortly before baby was born that it was a boy!

Had my 20 week scan today and she said 80% sure it's a girl...there were no visible boy bits and we could see 3 lines between the legs. I'm thrilled but worried it's not conclusive. Hubby doesn't want to pay out for a private scan as we've already had 2, and says they are probably not allowed to say for sure in case they are sued. He's sure it's a girl. I want to start buying things but am too nervous! X

I would say your safe to buy pink. i had bought blue things based on a very early scan and from 15 weeks told it was a girl. i took it all back and we now have white clothes lol i dont like pink personally so will avoid where i can :lol:

congratulations by the way. :)

Certain hospitals won't tell you because they've got it wrong too often. We recently had our 20 week scan, didn't want to know but if we had it would have been near impossible to tell. Baby was all over the place doing some sort of interpretive dance yoga combo she could barely get them to stay still long enough for anomoly measurements or get them in the right position hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back