Wraps... It's a minefield!

Oxford mum

Reaction score
I am currently pregnant with my second baby. I didn't use a carrier first time round but I really want a wrap as I know this will make life easier when chasing a toddler and baby just wants to be held.

However! I dont want to go the sling meet- I just want to research them and then buy one.

Any advice? My current list consists of

Moby
Close caboo
Boba
Kari Me

But am open to other suggestions too. Just need to know which one to go for/is best? Especially for a babywearing novice like me.

Thank you x

I don't have much experience, but have a kozy which has been great. It was my first one too.

I'm a novice at baby carrying but I have a close caboo and it's fab!

I too am a novice! I do though have a stretchy wrap (moby equivalent) and can say from experience and research these are fab for a newborn. However if its hot as it is now they are a bit too thick. I also have ring sling which I am managing to use right now with my newborn. They are great for all ages for quick up and downs, so like half an hour at a time, when you want to do a bit of housework, hang out the washing etc. Not great for long dog walks and the like. I have a custom buckles carrier too. Haven't got to grips with that yet. Got it to carry my toddler then found myself pregnant again and struggled to use it because of her weight! Are you s member of any fb groups, I can recommend slings and things - fsot and advice. It's great for useful advice from experienced baby wearers. Good luck xx

From someone who has spent money on wraps because I couldn't be bothered to go to the sling meet and then not liked the sling I have bought - if you can get to one, do so. They can be intimidating but it's totally worth it to have the options explained to you and not potentially waste your money (or lusting over something else that you could have had instead).

If you don't like the idea of a sling meet, maybe a one to one with a sling consultant? The ones near me charge £10 for 45 mins, which I know seems like a lot but when you can spend £100's (I've spent £240 on 3 wraps) it could be worth it.

However, lecture over (sorry to seem like I am lecturing, obviously do what you want but would hate to think someone felt they could've chosen better).

I have a hana baby wrap which is made from bamboo and therefore is a lot thinner than a moby and would be fine in the hot weather (just have baby in a vest and some uv leg covers).

Only new to this but stretchies like close caboo and moby are very popular for newborns. I tried a caboo early days when LO was only a week or so and got scared hAha needed more practise! Or a sling meet/app for some help.

Ring slings are popular too so might be worth looking into. Again j think once you know what you're doing you're away! :)

I have in and for a connecta in the end which I'm really liking. It's one with buckles so I feel a bit more sure about what I'm doing and it's still ok for newborns (min weight 7.5lb or similar I think). I've mostly used it around the house to get things done but have been out for a walk too and all felt secure. They do some lovely patterns and you can get second hand ones quite easily a little cheaper sometimes but they keep value well seemingly so can sell on when done.

Last edited:
Hi.

My last baby was born in November and I started off with a fleece pouch sling. When she got too heavy I got a woven and never looked back.

I now have around 30 woven wraps, mostly Didymos, a few Kokadi, a few Girasols, a Little Frog and Hoppediz, and I have a couple of Mei Tais, an Onbu and a Ring Sling made from a Didymos.
I'm planning on selling a few and buying a Pellicano if I can lol

If you want to ask me anything, please do. I loved using wraps right up until my youngest was about 3.

I would definitely recommend the Moby over the others, but it is only suitable for the first 4 to 6 months, after that they tend to sag under the weight and a woven wrap or a Mei Tai is better.

There are lots of different brands, and some brands like Didymos use different weaves, like their jaquard wraps are thinner and generally cooler to wear than thicker ones like waves or stripes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back