Would you reccommend using a TENS?

jools02

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondered if anyone used one of these during their labour as I'm toying with the idea of hiring one for the first part of my labour? Do they provide effective pain relief?

I used mine in early labour and found it was a good distraction. I didn't find it helped at all when things got more intense as I was more focused on the pain than cranking up the TENS!

I hated using it and won't be using one this time around. It seemed to just intensify the contractions, but most people seem to find that they help.

Absolutely!!!

I used mine all through my labour until Jack started to get distressed and then I had to have a c-section. It was on constantly for about 24 hours and I had to ask the midwives for some new batteries!

My sister used one, however she wasn't doing it right and couldnt get on with it. You have to make sure that when a contraction starts that you press the little button.

I would recommend it to anyone thinking of using one :D

Useless! it was like a really bad dose of pins and needles, not what you want when you are already in lots of pain.... :rotfl:

I used one and found it really helped for the first 24 hours, up until about 4 cm. Once I was on gas and air the tens machine while I was 'high' was really unpleasant and made be think about the pain more.

My sister used one and she hated it, although the ife did put it on her bum! :wall:

I used one and hated it, it didn't do anything for the pain and the vibrating sensation made me feel sick!

i thought it was great - not for the later stages, but early on it was fab :D :D

you might as well hire one to see, unless you're on a really tight budget; i think i paid £19 for mine...

I used one until I was 6cm, it was OK but it was one the hospital provided and it didn't really work properly so I probably didn't get the full effect. I had to have it taken off to get in the birthing pool, and OMG I think a few layers of skin was ripped off with it, taking it off was more painful than the birth :lol:

I certainly would! I managed to get to 6cm without any other pain relief with my TENS machine. I couldnt have managed the 5 days of contractions that I had without it!

i was gonna get one but in the end i decided i couldnt be arsed, i thought labour was gonna hurt anyway whether i paid for a TENS and then fannied about setting it up or not :lol: so i thought might as well just get on with it!
but a girl friend of mine used one and she did say it really helped lots early on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back